What majors to choose at UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCDavis, UCRiverside?

My son is undecided but leans towards a STEM major…biology, computer science, maybe a combo of the two.

Any input on 1st and 2nd choice majors to help with admission? should his 2nd choice always be undeclared?

Thank you!

CA student, 31 ACT, 3.9 UC GPA

@Gumbymom I think you may be able to help!

In most or all of these schools, computer science is the more competitive major (but check each campus to be sure).

At such schools, after enrolling, it will be more difficult to change into computer science than to biology (in the case of UCLA and UCSD, it is extremely difficult to change into computer science if one is not directly admitted to the major). So if he wants to keep the option of computer science open, it is better to be directly admitted into the computer science major than admitted as undeclared or as a biology major.

Note that biology is a capacity-limited major at UCSD, but it appears to be less competitive than computer science there.
http://biology.ucsd.edu/education/undergrad/admission/capped-major.html#Non-Biology-Majors
https://cse.ucsd.edu/undergraduate/admissions/cse-capped-major-status

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/freshman-admission-matrix.pdf can tell you how intended major on application works at each campus.

@ucbalumnus has given you good information. UCLA does not consider alternate majors if applying to the College of Letters and Sciences since UCLA does not admit by major. If you apply to the College of Engineering, they will consider another Engineering major as an alternate.

UC Davis rarely considers alternate majors, but changing majors for L&S and within the Biological Sciences colleges are easier than switching into the College of Engineering.

As @ucbalumnus pointed out, switching majors can be very difficult for several of the UC’s. My advice is that it is better to switch down from a competitive major than switch up.

I am not a believer on applying as Undeclared, so I would have him apply to the more competitive major as 1st choice and a less competitive major as 2nd choice. If he does not qualify for either major, schools like UCR/UCSB/UCSD can still accept into their school as the default major of Undeclared.

@ucbalumnus has given you good information. UCLA does not consider alternate majors if applying to the College of Letters and Sciences since UCLA L &S does not admit by major. If you apply to the College of Engineering, they will consider another Engineering major as an alternate.

UC Davis rarely considers alternate majors, but changing majors for L&S and within the Biological Sciences colleges are easier than switching into the College of Engineering.

As @ucbalumnus pointed out, switching majors can be very difficult for several of the UC’s. My advice is that it is better to switch down from a competitive major than switch up.

I am not a believer on applying as Undeclared, so I would have him apply to the more competitive major as 1st choice and a less competitive major as 2nd choice. If he does not qualify for either major, schools like UCR/UCSB/UCSD can still accept into their school as the default major of Undeclared.

For the Cal States it might be slightly easier but each campus determines the eligibility.

http://www.calstate.edu/sas/residency/

ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY FOR CSU TUITION PURPOSES:

Adult students (who will be at least 19 years old on the Residence Determination Date) may establish their own residence for tuition purposes. Minor unmarried students (who will be under the age of 19 on the Residence Determination Date) derive their legal residence from the parent with whom they reside or last resided.

A non-U.S. citizen may establish residence unless prohibited from establishing a domicile in the United States by the Immigration and Nationality Act. Some examples of non-U.S. citizens who may establish residence include permanent residents, refugees, students granted asylum or temporary protected status, and students who hold certain non-immigrant visas.

In order to be classified as a California resident for tuition purposes, a student (or parent in the case of a minor), must demonstrate the following:

Physical Presence: The student (or parent in the case of a minor) must establish a physical presence in California more than one year immediately prior to the Residence Determination Date of the term for which classification as a resident is requested. Continuous physical presence is not mandatory, but a student who leaves California has the burden of clearly demonstrating his/her retention of California residence during periods of absence.

Residential Intent: Physical presence within California solely for educational purposes does not constitute establishment of California residence. The student (or parent in the case of a minor) must demonstrate that s/he intends to make California his/her permanent home by establishing residential ties in California and relinquishing ties to the former place of residence. Proof of intent must be in place more than one year prior to the Residence Determination Date and can include (but is not limited to):

Registering to vote and voting in California
Registering a vehicle owned or operated in California
Obtaining a California driver’s license or ID card
Filing a California state personal income tax return
Maintaining an active bank account opened in California with a California branch
Licensing from the state for professional practice
Listing a permanent California address on home of record, or other military records

Sorry for the above post. Somehow my previous post on in-state residency did not get posted on the correct thread, but instead got posted on this thread. Finding the internet is a bit glitchy this morning, maybe too much traffic for Cyber Monday???

most UC’s do not consider your major if you are applying for one in the College of Letters & Science, all applicants go into the same pot. It is usually different for the other colleges such as Engineering. The websites of each UC you are considering will have the details, look under a tab like “How we select the freshman class”

What career is he interested in and prefers more?
A solid combo would be bioinformatics.
If he is interested in research, maybe BioE or BME.