what schools actually offer genetic engineering?

<p>I read the websites of many schools.and so far i still can't find a school that provides genetic engineering(as a major).</p>

<p>Therefore,do you know any schools that provide this major???(I even read cornell's website,but it doesn't say that they offer genetic engineering in the college of engineering.)</p>

<p>This might be a problem of terminology. Find a school with a good genetics research lab (such as University of Washington) and research majors like biotech engineering, biochem engineering, molecular biology. I think you will find that these students are the ones doing genetic engineering in the lab. Good luck!</p>

<p>Genetic engineering is a term that refers to recombinant DNA technology eg. cloning, splicing, genomics, synthetic biology. This has been the driving force behind biological drugs such as insulin. This technology is a core part of molecular biology, biomedical engineering, microbiology and other fields. Nearly every prominent school offers these disciplines.</p>

<p>I would look for universities that offer the major Biomedical Engineering, or something along the same lines.</p>

<p>There is a major difference between Biomedical Engineering and Genetic or Biological Engineering.</p>

<p>Biomedical engineering sometimes confusingly called bioengineering is the application of traditional engineering disciplines to medical problems without any necessary grounding in molecular life sciences. </p>

<p>Biological engineering on the other hand is the application of engineering principles in design, synthesis, and analysis at the genetic, molecular and cellular level to problems in many different areas including energy, the environment, drug development, agriculture, tissue engineering, nanoscale engineering of biomaterials, etc.. It is also sometimes referred to as Synthetic Biology.</p>

<p>Very few schools have actual programs in biological engineering. MIT was the first university in the nation to establish a separate biological engineering discipline.</p>

<p>MIT</a> | Department of Biological Engineering</p>

<p>Berkeley also has new department of Bioengineering, largely based on the biological sciences.
Bioengineering</a> — UC Berkeley College of Engineering</p>

<p>Cornell also has an established biological engineering program.
<a href="http://www.bee.cornell.edu/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.bee.cornell.edu/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Every year, MIT hosts The International Genetically Engineered Machine competition (iGEM) which is the premier undergraduate Synthetic Biology competition. It grew from 5 teams in 2004 to over 112 teams in 2009 from all over the world. About half the teams are from US universities. The list provides you with a good starting point as to who is involved in this fast growing field. </p>

<p>Teams</a> Registered for iGEM 2009 - ung.igem.org</p>

<p>You can also look up the Institute for Biological Engineering for information.
<a href="http://www.ibe.org/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ibe.org/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>They have a list of schools with Biological Engineering majors or concentrations.
<a href="http://www.ibe.org/academic-programs.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ibe.org/academic-programs.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>schools that had at least 5 graduates in biotechnology last year
Biotechnology</a> - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<h1>biotech grads, SAT 25th, SAT 75th, school</h1>

<p>11 0 0 Ferris State University
15 0 0 Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
8 0 0 Saint Cloud State University
7 0 0 Southeastern Oklahoma State University
27 0 0 University of Nebraska at Omaha
7 0 0 University of Wisconsin-River Falls
7 890 1060 East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
6 890 1060 William Paterson University of New Jersey
40 900 1140 California State Polytechnic University-Pomona
12 900 1100 Worcester State College
6 902 1171 University of Northern Iowa
5 910 1130 Point Park University
5 940 1120 Florida Gulf Coast University
5 950 1190 Oregon State University
9 950 1130 Marywood University
12 960 1165 Assumption College
10 980 1240 Montana State University
21 980 1140 Kennesaw State University
26 990 1330 North Dakota State University-Main Campus
32 990 1240 University of Kentucky
10 1000 1220 Washington State University
80 1030 1290 University of California-Davis
17 1040 1260 University at Buffalo
18 1060 1240 SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
34 1070 1300 Rutgers University-New Brunswick
21 1073 1324 University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez
6 1075 1325 Calvin College
53 1100 1300 Rochester Institute of Technology
27 1120 1340 Brigham Young University
6 1120 1310 University of Georgia
5 1190 1350 Northeastern University</p>

<p>^^^ What a strange chart. The biotech sector employs hundreds of thousands of people. Employees in biotech come from many more schools than are listed above.</p>

<p>The vast majority of biotechnology programs are agricultural programs and have very little if anything to do with genetic or biological engineering at the cellular or molecular level. The above list is a perfect example. I don't believe a single school on that list offers a program remotely associated with genetic engineering. You need to look at each school's specific program to understand what they offer.</p>

<p>Here is a typical biotechnology course sequence at RIT. </p>

<p>Biotechnology, BS degree, typical course sequence
Qtr. Cr. Hrs.
First Year Freshman Symposium 1001-200, 259 2
Introduction to Biology I, II, III 1001-251, 252, 253 12
General and Analytical Chemistry I, II, III 1011-215, 216, 217 10
Chemical Principles Lab I, II 1011-205, 206 2
General and Analytical Chemistry Lab 1011-227 1
Elementary Calculus I, II 1016-214, 215 6
Liberal Arts* 12
First-Year Enrichment 1105-051, 052 2
Wellness Education† 0 </p>

<p>Second Year Cell Biology 1001-311 4
Immunology 1001-312 3
Tissue Culture 1001-314 5
Molecular Biology 1001-350 4
Organic Chemistry I, II, III 1013-231, 232, 233 9
Organic Chemistry Lab I, II, III 1013-235, 236, 237 3
Data Analysis I 1016-319 4
Liberal Arts* 12 </p>

<p>Third and Fourth Years‡ Introductory Microbiology 1001-404 5
Genetics 1001-421 4
Analytical Chemistry: Separations 1008-312 3
Analytical Chemistry: Separations Lab 1008-319 1
Biochemistry: Conformation and Dynamics 1009-502 3
Biochemistry: Metabolism 1009-503 3
Biotechnology Electives 24
Liberal Arts* 12
General Education Courses 9
University-wide Electives 27
Cooperative Education 1001-499 (optional)‡ Co-op </p>

<p>Total Quarter Credit Hours 182</p>

<p>Such a program does not have a single ENGINEERING requirement. There is as much difference between biological engineering and biotechnology as there is between biochemistry and chemical engineering or physics and mechanical engineering. A true biological engineering program is an ENGINEERING program grounded in the biological sciences.</p>

<p>By comparison here is the BE Curriculum at MIT:
The required curriculum includes a strong foundation in biological and biochemical sciences integrated with engineering throughout the entire curriculum. </p>

<p>(All core science and humanities requirements are omitted)</p>

<p>Biochemistry
Organic Chemistry
Mathematical Methods for Materials Scientists and Engineers
Genetics
Cell Biology
Laboratory Fundamentals in Biological Engineering
Thermodynamics of Biomolecular Systems
Introduction to Computer Science and Programming
Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Biomechanics
Analysis of Biomolecular & Cellular Systems
Fields, Forces and Flows in Biological Systems
Biological Engineering II: Instrumentation and Measurement
Biological Engineering Design </p>

<p>Plus two Restricted Electives from the following thematic areas:</p>

<p>-Biomechanics and Biophysics
-MicroElectrical-Mechanical System (MEMS), Biological Instrumentation, Imaging and Measurement
-Synthetic Biology & Macromolecular Design
-Computational & Systems Biology
-Microbial and Ecological Systems
-Pharmacology & Toxicology
-Cell & Tissue Engineering
-Human Pathophysiology
-Neurobiology</p>

<p>look into schools with top BME departments (namely, JHU, Duke, NU)</p>

<p>Duke</a> Biomedical Engineering at Pratt
About</a> - Undergraduate Program - Duke BME</p>

<p>The OP's question is "which schools offer genetic engineering?" I don't know of any schools with a major in "genetic engineering". Recombinant DNA technology (genetic engineering) is probably covered in genetics majors and biotechnology majors. especially biotechnology.</p>

<p>Biotechnology or synthetic biology is the underlying science in genetic engineering but that does not make it an engineering discipline. You can understand R-DNA by studying biochemistry and biotechnology. Therefore a foundation in biotechnology is necessary for genetic engineering just as foundation physics is required for electrical engineering or mechanical engineering to build electrical or mechanical systems. But it is not sufficient. If you want to build upon the science, or "program the R-DNA" to build tangible products that is the field of biological engineering. It is fast emerging discipline that barely existed 5 years ago which explains why none of the traditional lists of majors cover the discipline. None of the schools listed by Collegehelp would provide the training to actually use biotechnology to "create" synthetic biological systems. </p>

<p>BME has very little to do with genetic or biological engineering. It is the application of any engineering discipline to the field of medicine specifically. It is not a separate engineering discipline but builds upon traditional engineering disciplines such as mechanical or electrical engineering. It is not specifically built upon a foundation in the biological sciences.</p>

<p>Bioengineering at Penn
Penn</a> Engineering - Bioengineering Major</p>

<p>Your best bet for genetic engineering might be a BE or Bio major as an undergrad and an MS/PhD later on.</p>