What Should I Do?

Hello:
I’m posting this in the parents’ forum because it’s always very helpful. I had been actively looking for a car for the past 2 and a half months. I had about 5k to spend. I needed the car most for this summer, as I am staying in south Florida where the bus system is unreliable & and I would be traveling from class to work each day. Otherwise, I will be in gainesville on UF’s campus, and for the most part, one can get around there without a car or take an uber if needed.
I ended up purchasing a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta about a week ago, and while I did buy it, I was pressured into making that purchase. A “family friend” had found it on Craigslist and was paid to take me around the area and look at ALL the cars I had found through listings online, but instead decided to show me this Jetta first. I was not keen on it, but he basically gave me an ultimatum- I wasn’t even given a chance to see the other cars I had found. The anxiety of looking for a car so long without any results, as well as the pressure that was put on me led me to buy it. Regardless, it’s now my car. Anyway, the car seems fine mechanically but i have not been able to get the radio to work. Someone installed an aux cord previously and that doesn’t seem to work either. The audio system is very important to me, so it’s almost a deal breaker. Also, I don’t know how much I like the car on a whole.
Additionally, the insurance is costing $160 a month, and the licensing/ registration is about $500. I have about three weeks left before I return to school. I’ve been taking 5 or 6 buses a day to get to my summer classes in and work and while It is tiring, I’m just wondering if all this money is worth it to make my transportation easier for a few more weeks and when I go back to gainesville. On my campus, cars have to be parked some distance away from your classes etc. It’s also sometimes challenging to find parking and there’s a $160 decal for the year.
I was considering just selling the car (on Craigslist before I get it registered), continuing to take the horrid bus, and purchasing a scooter to get around in Gainesville. That would save me the insurance costs, registration and tag costs and the scooter would be cheaper overall. I’d probably have $3000 to pocket and save. However, there’s the uncertainty of whether or not it can be sold in 2 weeks, and I’ve never sold anything online, it’s a bit daunting.
Alternatively I’d just insure and register the car for now, drive it and a few months down the line, decide whether or not it is worth all the costs.
I spend 2-4 hours taking the bus each day. It’s really a complete drag to have to take the bus or stay home because somewhere is too far to access via bus. I’d also love the freedom of driving my car. However, I’m just looking at all this money that could be saved and the fact that I have not gotten the radio/ aux to work makes it a lot less fun to drive.
The car is sitting in the driveway right now and I’m taking the bus. Can someone, anyone, provide some advice on what I should do? Am I too concerned about the costs or in too deep? Should I register my car and drive it for now, or try to sell it as soon as possible?

It sounds like you don’t really want to keep the car. It is a significant expense to pay for if you will not be driving it very often. You could check the fuses to make sure one is not blown, that would be a simple fix.

My daughter got a new after market audio system installed in her car last year at best buy for less than $100(did not replace speakers).

You probably need to register the car to get a new title issued in your name so that you would be able to sell it.

Check with your state. But I believe you need the TITLE to be in your name. I’m nit positive you need to register the car to get a title in your name.

You have been taking umpteen buses for the past months, and you consider a non-existent audio in an otherwise full-functional car a “deal-breaker”? What, pray tell, have you been using for audio on all of those bus rides? Well just tuck that system into the passenger seat, and hit the road.

This sounds a little familiar - did you post earlier this summer about wanting to buy a car and the majority of parents advised you not to?

You now own the car. You better get insurance ASAP. You have to register it and pay sales tax to have a title before you can sell it. It’s illegal to have an open title unless you are a licensed car dealer.

You don’t like the car because the radio doesn’t work. It cost under $5000. It beats riding the bus. You could have explored how much car insurance would cost before you purchased it. If you sell it now you will certainly lose money. You can easily google possible causes for the radio not to work. A bad fuse or an open ground would be my guess.

Learning: My DH and I were probably 40 years old before we had a car where everything worked. By the time we were in our late 20s,we could have afforded decent cars, but we had other priorities. When DH was a junior in college, he drove a car for several months that was missing the rear passenger door. At your age, when we were trying to scrape together tuition money every semester, we were just happy if our cars were running at all. The point is that I suspect that the majority of your contemporaries are in the same boat…either they can’t afford a car at all, or they’re just happy if their car is running. (Come to think of it, since DH drives only 2 miles to work, he still drives a crappy truck and the radio doesn’t work at all.)
Try to have some perspective here.

No one forced you to buy the car and it was your responsibility to know how much the taxes and insurance are before you bought the car. The deal is cars are a pain in the neck and a lot of responsibility and expense under the best of circumstances. I’d say that given your financial challenges, the fact that you think the radio is not working is a deal breaker is a HUGE sign that you are not ready for the responsibility. Since you presumably haven’t driven the car a lot of miles, you should be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it (or close).

" Since you presumably haven’t driven the car a lot of miles, you should be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it (or close)."

Unless you paid too much for it. Check values online using tools like kbb.com and edmunds.com

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1900315-is-a-2005-toyota-prius-a-good-purchase-p1.html

[Quote=Learningiskey]
Madison85, I’ve already factored in the costs of parking etc at UF. I need a car mainly for this current summer - I’m staying in Fort Lauderdale, taking classes and working every day and the public transportation system is not very efficient. Additionally, during the holidays, I have to find my way to stay with relatives. My parents do not live in the US so they can’t drive up to get me. That’s why I was drawn to the Prius - good for hauling all the dorm stuff at a reasonable, compact size. During this school year, as I said, it would be used less. The following year it will be more useful as I will be off campus. Also I’m getting this car now because I do not know when else in the next 5 years I will be able to.

It sounds like you made your decision in an impulsive manner. There was no reason for you to have felt pressured into making the purchase. There was no “ultimatum,” unless the guy had a gun pointed at your head. Used cars are a dime a dozen, between used-car dealers, Craigslist and private sales.

Having said that, it appears to be a working car, and the radio thing is minor - I’m sure you have an iPod or similar you can use for music. I think you have to figure out how much your time is worth and whether it’s worth the registration, insurance, etc.

Please don’t listen to music with earbuds in your car. That is dangerous.

I believe it could be even illegal to wear headphones while driving - in my state, it is. Places like CarToys that sell car audio systems often offer free or low cost install.

It is illegal to drive in all 50 states with headphones or earbuds in as far as I know. As far as the car goes, if you are not driving it you don’t need insurance. If you want to sell it, you need to file for a title from the state and pay the sales tax on it (if there is sales tax). Some states, NY used to be like that, allow transferring the car using the registration but the easiest route would be to bring the paperwork for the sale, the existing title you got with the sale, to a DMV office, pay the sales tax owed, and get the title, then you can sell it.

Some car dealers in a situation like this will buy the car from you and take care of getting the title on their part, but if you sell to a dealer like that you will likely get a lot less for the car.

Musicparent, surprise… Not all states prohibit headphones use. Some do. Some allow one earbud.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headsets/

That said… Even if something is not prohibited by law, it does not mean it is a smart thing to do.

Well, she could also just hook the ipod up to one of those small portable speakers and put it on the seat next to her. Much safer than headphones.