What should I do?

It does clear it up your sophomore year. I see further back in the posts you state you have a 2.7 cumulative GPA for your first three years of school. Taking an year or two to establish that you can work hard and handle college-level academics would probably be really helpful (especially since you failed AP Physics, which is a college-level class). Going to a BS would definitely help you avoid the shame you’d feel if you attended a community college, so that is a huge plus.

However, thinking that having gotten a 2.0 at a private school isn’t so bad because they do grade deflation - or that every private school kid with a 3.0 can get into UMD - I don’t agree. This sounds like wishful thinking, the same kind that you’re doing when considering applying to colleges with average-accepted-student GPAs of 3.6+ when the best you can get is around a 3.2 if you can pull off straight A’s this year. There probably are a few privates that deflate a little, but they really don’t have anything to gain from it. They do, however, gain from inflation:
https://bmgator.org/16181/news/grading-grade-inflation-at-private-schools/#:~:text=From%201998-2016%2C%20grade%20point,at%20suburban%20public%20schools%2C%20and%20.&text=“They’re%20incentivized%20to%20give%20better%20grades.”

I highly recommend your parents hire a private college counselor ASAP to give you some perspective on your situation and help you navigate your future, especially since it sounds like $5K+ is not an issue for your family. Find a counselor that has experience with ADHD kids and PG years to help you get into the best school you can after your PG year. You have to earn your way to a prestigious school through hard work, but they can show you a path to realistic options. I hope your senior year keeps going well. Good luck!

3 Likes

@ejhall87, for a safety/match, look into Washington & Jefferson College, SW of Pittsburg. It has a business program. Susquehanna in central PA might be another good option. Or McDaniel in Maryland.

I knew a smart young man who got off track in high school (got very distracted by his social life and football) until a sports-related concussion jolted him to reality late in high school. He attended Washington & Jefferson, got a lot of attention and mentoring, and ended up doing a fully-funded PhD. program in chemistry at the University of Michigan. Recently, I heard he was working for a major pharmaceutical company.

You will have to focus on making major changes in how you approach things, especially wrt your ADHD. KNOW THYSELF…and find strategies that work! I think you will have to accept that you will need to slog through a non-elite path for awhile …that’s uncomfortable but will lead to real growth if you learn to focus on real skills and character, not the more superficial needs of your ego. If you do this without giving up, there is no reason to think you won’t ultimately reach your goals and make yourself proud. Take this step by step.

6 Likes

OP: I think that your thoughts about a PG year are correct & that your target schools for college will be greatly enhanced by engaging in a PG year at a top prep boarding school such as Lawrenceville.

UMD freshman profile:

Would I have a shot at those schools? I got my SAT score today(790M, 700R) which I am content with. With my stats and ECs would I have a good shot at top schools? These might include Choate, Deerfield, Hotchkiss, and Phillips Exeter. I am aware these schools are highly selective and I might not be up to their standars. Hence, would I get into schools like Avon Old Farms, Berkshire, NMH, and Trinity-Pawling? Additionally, I’ve been observing my work habits lately and I’m nervous about my ability to handle a college workload in an organized manner. Also, my mother is concerned about going back to private school, especially after what happened last time. I share that concern, but I also feel that it would be different due to an internal personal change and a difference in school. To elaborate on the latter, the school I was at last year was a religious school with a dual curriculum. This made it impossible for me to succeed as I had to focus on 9 classes at once. When I focused on core classes I did well on my assignments. If I was to take a PG year, I would want a school that would allow me to work closely with teachers and my classmates, a substantial academic support department, a good reputation, and I think it would be intellectually stimulating to be surrounded by people with a shared passion for learning. Do you know of any schools that fit these criteria? Additionally, how much will a PG year improve my options? I’m assuming I wouldn’t be able to get into a school like Harvard or Yale, but would NESCACs or schools like Haverford and Colgate be out of my reach? Another benefit to a PG would be that, even if I don’t make it to one of my top choices, it would allow me to mature and develop skills that would allow me to excel wherever I end up, allowing me to transfer or continue getting good grades and network my way into a great job.

1 Like

Yes, you have a very good chance of being admitted as a PG to Lawrenceville, Choate, Deerfield, Hotchkiss, and Exeter in my opinion.

With a 1490 SAT score and a strong first semester as a PG, your chances of being admitted to a most selective college should improve.

The goal is to improve your self confidence and readiness for an most selective college. A solid PG year at Lawrenceville, Exeter, Choate, Deerfield or Hotchkiss should help you to achieve these goals.

While there are no guarantees, you will be increasing substantially your odds of getting an offer of admission to a most selective college.

1 Like

I would put a high priority on the academic support offered at the various prep schools. I don’t think a super intense school is set up to help kids with learning differences (unless they are very minor). So, I don’t know that I’d recommend Hotchkiss, Choate or Lawrenceville. Berkshire sounds much more promising. My adhd son had a fantastic experience at Millbrook, you might consider putting it on your list. I don’t think you fit Trinity Pawling’s profile, though to be fair, I don’t know the school well.

4 Likes

The only accommodation I would require is extra time on tests. Another thing that is helpful, though not exactly an accommodation, is time for me to study in the middle of the day when my ADHD meds are in effect. I assume that wouldn’t be too much for most schools to accommodate.

1 Like

You can handle the academic demands of any PG program in the country if you earned an SAT score of 1490 in one sitting. A 790 in math is outstanding, while a 700 in the verbal portion is an excellent score.

Absolutely untrue, sorry. People with ADHD can be super bright and struggle with the demands of school. My adhd son had a similar score, and he would have been destroyed at a school like Hotchkiss.

9 Likes

I am familar with some PG programs, but not all. OP should do well at Lawrenceville. Plus, if OP is aiming for schools such as Colgate & Haverford, he has an opportunity to find out if such academic environments would be comfortable & suitable for him.

OP needs a PG program which ofers specific PG courses in a few subjects. Other PGs are there for a reason–and those reasons typically do not include turning down unconditional offers of admission to most selective schools.

P.S. OP: You need to let the admissions officers at various schools determine whether or not you will be a good fit in their school’s PG year program.

To the best of my knowledge, ADHD varies fron individual to individual. Meds work better for some than others.

Also, PGs are permitted to take a lighter course load in some PG programs.

You need to check with boarding school about documentation required to receive accommodations and academic support. Don’t assume.

For example, You’ll need a documented diagnosis to be considered at Hotchkiss.

3 Likes

Have you looked at Furman? It is small, with a lot of support, but is still challenging academically. There is a strong alumni connection, even in DC and Maryland.

2 Likes

Another question: Do postgrads get financial aid?

My understanding is that this will vary by school. Other posters should be able to offer answers about specific schools.

1 Like

Based on how this plan started, I thought you did not need financial aid.

The only time BS 5th years get some funds is if they are being heavily recruited but their scores/grades do not meet the NCAA requirements… then all that sounds f the sudden there are funds.

If you need aid, just apply to college and skip this whole plan or take a year off and work while you work on some study and life skills so you are ready for college the next year.

Back to your original question - What should I do?

I think you should run the NPCs with your parents on your 4 year colleges that meet the criteria you have created for yourself. If you are now looking for BS aid in 5th year, you may need to look at schools that have merit for your SAT score or are less expensive if it turns out you are full pay at some of the colleges that were part of this plan. As suggested, you need a college counselor that can help you and your parents prioritize some of this and figure out colleges with the academic supports needed.

3 Likes

OP: The best answer as to whether or not PGs are eligible for financial aid is by asking each target prep boarding school directly. I am aware of many PGs receiving financial aid, but I do not know about all schools.

Consider contacting the Lawrenceville School, the Hill School, and any other target school directly. Ask for admissions & financial aid office. Feel fee to mention both your SAT scores & athletic talent.

1 Like

I’m not sure when I indicated when I was incredibly wealthy. My family is fairly well off but 65k is a lot for any family.

1 Like

Your fourth post indicated that cost was not a constraint. I agree with others that a big financial aid offer for a pg year doesn’t make sense unless the school wants you for some important reason.

3 Likes

That is understandable.