What summer programs for high school students helped your MT student prepare for college auditions?

This question is for parents of college students who successfully earned acceptance into a MT program. What summer programs for high school students, if any, did your child do that they found helpful in preparing them for the college audition process, or really helped them grow in their craft? My daughter is currently 13, so will be in the rising freshman category this summer. There are many programs that she’ll need to wait a year or two to do because of her age, but we’re trying to look ahead and make some plans.

OCU - Oklahoma City University Summer Music Program. Outstanding experience!! Classes in acting, combat, dance, and voice - including private voice coaching. College prep is also discussed. Classes are taught by OCU’s department head and faculty. Full musical production and dinner cabaret. Full days are dedicated to classes, evenings and weekends focus on rehearsals. Parents attend performances. Parents may also attend a seminar with the department head discussing industry opportunities and the college audition process. Three week program for high school students. A separate two week program is offered for middle school students. There is an early bird savings if applying early. Audition required in application process.

University of Michigan MPULSE Musical Theatre
No performance, focus on academic and artistic approach to studying MT in college. Classes led by UMich faculty. Very strong program. Applications open in November/December. Very competitive program. Audition required in application process.

Interlochen Summer Intensive - Musical Theatre College Audition - short program w/ college audition prep focus only. Audition required in application process.

TPAP The Performing Arts Program held at Wake Forest - classes include acting, dance and song performance - acting the song. Classes led by industry professionals. A few professors from various college programs hold discussions with students about studying MT at the college level. Parent seminar with director of program on final day discussing the college audition process. Audition required.

2 Likes

Thank you. This is super helpful info!

Interlochen Arts Camp - any of the Theatre genre programs. They also host on-campus college fairs for performing arts where the campers can meet some of the school admissions people in person and start to get a feel for what each school is like.

1 Like

Southeastern Summer Theatre Institute (SSTI) — either Essentials or the Musical Theatre program. Incredible experience and preparation!

1 Like

Hello. I just joined college confidential. I have a h.s. sophmore who has recently realized that she would like to pursue a BFA in MT. Does anyone have feedback about the AMDA High School Conservatory? My daughter received word that she was accepted. I’m trying to figure out if this a worthwhile pursuit? Thanks so much for your advice!

Hi!

My daughter is now a junior and she got a scholarship for the AMDA High school
Conservatory. She went last year. We live in NYC but We let her stay in the dorms to get the full package for 2 weeks.
Her remarks after- it was like summer camp not a conservatory. Yes, they were tightly scheduled and she loved doing her thing.
The professors said she was already “seasoned” being in performing arts hs so they liked working with her and she met some new friends out of state. I can’t say she learned more or got a head doing it.
It was a lot of money for housing and meals and they make you buy a weeks worth of tshirts they don’t wear. They offered her to come back next year but we are concentrating on auditon process and those workshops that help get her prepared for prescreens.