What's the best laptop?

<p>We are getting down to the wire and still haven’t picked out a laptop. DD is in nursing and they recommend not getting a mac. There are so many to choose from but macs keep coming up as the highest rated laptops. Does anyone know why the nursing program would discourage the mac? </p>

<p>Any suggestions on other laptops. I have a Sony VAOI and it’s had so many issues. I don’t want DD to have her computer in the shop getting fixed all the time.</p>

<p>Just bought an HP from their online store. Good prices, good reviews. We’ll see how it works out.</p>

<p>We bought the Samsung 9 Series. Daughter wanted an ultra book, and after research this was our choice. We will see.</p>

<p>pinkturtles…we are an entire family of mac users…iphones, ipads, Macbook pro lap tops and DH has two desk tops. DD has a Macbook Pro and loves it! However she has had some compatibility issues with Mastering Chemistry and her computer. I am wondering if this might be why the nursing school doesn’t suggest one? When she arrived at Alabama we were told that it was not as “mac friendly” as some other campuses but that they were working on it. We have seen it improve over the past couple of years (I can’t believe she’s a junior!!) . FYI…her boyfriend has a brand new HP…when I asked him how it was his reply…just ok. He is now wanting a new mac book pro. I would call the nursing school and see what they suggest. Good luck!!!</p>

<p>ahpimommy…is there a solution for the compatibility issues with Mastering Chemistry? DS (incoming freshman) is about to pull the trigger on a MacBook. He will take Chem and Org Chem at UA.</p>

<p>Mac computers are geared more towards artistic expression. For a major in art or graphic design a Mac is ideal. However , they lack features like Microsoft word, PowerPoint, ect. You can download them but it proves to be a little difficult. For a major geared more towards the reading , writing , science end of things a Mac is not a wise choice ! :)</p>

<p>seekingtheknowledge…she said she did figure out the glitch with some help from the Chem dept. It had something to do with entering the equations ( sorry I am not a chemistry person). Her comment was that the whole Mastering Chemistry text and program had issues to begin with. She said that the Chem dept said they were working on this.<br>
LittlemissBAMA…all 4 of our kids have used Macs (Macbook Pros) throughout college…one was a business major (Marketing), one an Mechanical Engineering major, one an double major English/Gender Studies and our DD at Bama who is a Nutrition major. The only problem they have had was DD and Chem. We are huge proponents of anything Apple but ultimately it is about the best fit for the person using the computer. I do know from ALL of the college visits/experiences we have had (Bama, Loyola, Missouri State and Columbia) that some campuses are more Mac friendly than others.
If I were a parent I would call and ask…</p>

<p>FYI…I know my DD’s sorority uses a Macbook Pro for their powerpoint presentations and website presentations with no problem.</p>

<p>I agree , it is completely up to the students preference. I was just pointing out the intended focus of each operating system and speaking from previous experience in school . :)</p>

<p>Alrighty, I have answers from the nursing school. It really has nothing to do with the systems. When the nursing students take their tests they plug into the nursing school system. Those with MACS can’t plug in. They have a few extra laptops for the mac users to share but they may end up waiting for someone to finish their test before they can use it. I believe other departments aren’t affected.</p>

<p>On that note, we won’t be investing in a mac:( We will look into the Samsung 9 series. Any other suggestions would be great.</p>

<p>my daughter has a mac and hasn’t mentioned any problems with using it for any of her classes (including 4 chemistry classes).</p>

<p>we are a mac family too.</p>

<p>If you really want a mac, you could consider getting one with boot camp or a software that runs windows such as Parallels or Fusion. I run Fusion on mine and in those few times that I HAVE to have Windows it does the job nicely.</p>

<p>"Mac computers are geared more towards artistic expression. For a major in art or graphic design a Mac is ideal. However , they lack features like Microsoft word, PowerPoint, ect. You can download them but it proves to be a little difficult. For a major geared more towards the reading , writing , science end of things a Mac is not a wise choice ! "</p>

<p>i think this may have been true in the past, but i don’t think it is so true now.</p>

<p>Any recs for civil engineering majors? Almost got the samsung 9 series the other day but DD wants a disc drive and the one we were looking at didn’t have one. I keep hoping she will start researching what she wants/needs but time is starting to run out and I am stressing.</p>

<p>my daughter is ChemE and she has a macbook. hers is several years old by now.</p>

<p>any well equipped computer will be fine.</p>

<p>honestly, my daughter said she doesn’t use hers much anymore, but she uses her ipad a lot.</p>

<p>she does use the computer for itunes and movie watching, i know!</p>

<p>If you’re looking into ultrabooks, you could also consider the Asus Zenbook Prime (not the same thing as just the Asus Zenbook; so the UX31A rather than the UX31/UX31E). A few reviews have called its screen one of the best displays on a laptop besides the MacBook Pro with Retina Display (which is a pretty good deal considering the Prime starts at $1099 rather than over $2000). </p>

<p>You can easily buy an external optical (CD/DVD) drive, if the lack of an internal one bothers you. </p>

<p>That being said, with ultrabooks you are paying for portability and aesthetics. If you need a really powerful computer, buying a normal laptop is considerably more cost-effective.</p>

<p>CD/DVD drives are on their way out. it seems like a big deal not to have one right now, but over time they will not be needed. that’s what i hear anyway. i think i would want one too! : )</p>

<p>Has anyone purchased one of the Mac Bundles from the Supe store?</p>

<p>We priced out the Bundle…the first one listed and if you use/need everything that is on the list it is a really good deal, saving about $250 over buying everything separately. We don’t need the printer and hubby gets Windows for Mac free from work.</p>

<p>If you don’t know what is in the bundle you can just call the Supe Store and they will email the sheet to you for you to look at. I called with questions and they were wonderful.</p>

<p>For anyone who does not Windows for Mac includes Powerpoint, Excel, Word, all for the Mac. There is no difference using Word on a Mac w/ this program from using it on a windows based computer.</p>

<p>I highly recommend using a Mac. Have three kids in college all at different colleges, in different majors and none of them has any issues with compatibility. Son is in cyber security and never complains.</p>

<p>I would recommend Dell if you want a pretty standard computer that has pretty good customer service. I also got a nicer model since a computer is something you do not buy often and is very important. It is definitely something that is worth spending the extra money on.</p>