What's the food dish that traumatized you as a kid?

Whoever made your school’s collards likely learned how to cook them from FIL.

He does the same with peas and broccoli.

When we visit it can be tough to find veggies we all like. Once I tried to just skip the greens, but he noticed and asked about it so I took some. I then eat them first to be able to get the flavors of other foods in my mouth afterward. They are pretty gross. Broccoli, cooked his way, is the worst. I love broccoli when it isn’t cooked to death. You could eat his with a straw I suspect.

1 Like

I love bluefish on the grill we often get it at a fish market on Cape Cod where I’m sure it’s fresh.

1 Like

Glad to know that I’m not the only adult that hates coffee. Even anything coffee-flavored. is gross to me. Don’t even try to serve me mocha and tell me it’s chocolate.

Other things that make me queasy that everyone else seems to love are maple syrup and apple juice. I gag at the smell of either of them.

3 Likes

No maple syrup?! You have my sympathies. :wink:

4 Likes

Liverwurst – agreed! I was so jealous of the kids who had tuna salad sandwiches for school lunch – canned tuna was a dinner food for us, not a splurge for school lunch.

This is me also.

1 Like

Of course I love the smell of fresh mown grass also but I’m not gonna eat it either…so maybe it’s a psychological thing. Fresh brewed coffee was Saturday morning and two relaxed parents sipping coffee in bed with us jumping around waiting for pancakes.

1 Like

It’s the worst, but occasionally I have wheat grass shots. That’ll clear out your sinuses and other areas of the body too. :rofl:

2 Likes

My cats too periodically love to have grass cleanses… thank goodness for Nature Miracle! :laughing:

1 Like

I love Tripe! I also love liver in any form, and I love roast lambs hearts; I cannot eat kidneys, the urine smell makes me gag

No tripe. No calamari.

1 Like

As a kid, an offer of calamari would have grossed me out. As an adult, bring it on!!

1 Like

My DH lived in England for a while when he was younger and ordered a steak and kidney pie thinking the kidney part was…kidney beans.

Boy was he surprised!

3 Likes

Vegetables and potatoes. I would literally sit at the table for hours with my mother because I just couldn’t eat them. I seem to have a gag reflux for any veggies and it has not gone away as an adult. Oddly enough, my cholesterol levels have always been low.

Another thing I couldn’t stand was corned beef and cabbage. Just the smell would make feel sick. And I’m another one that doesn’t even like the smell of coffee.

I couldn’t stand this either and dreaded St. Patrick’s Day when, for some reason, we all went to my grandmother’s to have this dish. I was not forced to eat it, but there was nothing else on the table. I can remember getting a couple of slices of bread from the bread box on her counter, and that was my St. Pat’s dinner. Bad memories and, to this day, that smell makes me sick.

2 Likes

I can’t wait until March to make corned beef and cabbage. Look forward to it every year. Love it with horseradish.

1 Like

I prefer my corned beef in a Reuben or corned beef hash… but I can do CB & C. It’s once a year, so I just grin and bear it. Leftovers can be sliced into sandwich pieces or diced for hash, so the sow’s ear can morph into silk.

The kosher or kosher style corned beef in a Reuben is way different than the corned beef with cabbage served on St. Patrick’s Day. The first and only time I had it on March 17, I expected the corned beef to taste like that in a Reuben…and it sure didn’t! Never again.

Our St Paddy’s day dinner is a kosher corned beef sandwich! Sometimes a Reuben. And coleslaw. That’s sort of like corned beef and cabbage, right?

3 Likes

Liver sausage.
Liver & onions. My grandmother made me sit at the table til I ate them. She gave up at 11 pm (it was a school night and I was in first grade. She didn’t like me much after that.)
Olive loaf.
Canned vegetables.
Iceberg lettuce.
C-rations (Dad got them at the surplus store on post and we ate them when camping. We swore they were left over from WWII.)

1 Like

:joy: i think every brat in the 60s and 70s had to eat some form of MCIs/MREs at some point

2 Likes