When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Does anyone know when colleges typically rescind admissions? Is it before or after May 1st?

Hi! Right now I have straight A’s and one C-, in AP Stats. I’m half way through the second semester, though I got a C the first semester. My class is quite a mess right now because most of the students do have D’s and F’s, I’m doing a lot of extra work and meeting with multiple tutors for assistance. Do you think I’ll get rescinded? I already have 3 years of math and my major (Apparel Merch/Mgmt.) isn’t math centered at all.

@flaminhaute -If your grade doesn’t drop to a D you should stay out of hot water. But keep a record of the tutors you’re meeting with (time, date, etc.) and also any other extra work you’re doing. So, at the end of the year, if your grade isn’t a C or better, you can write to the college you plan to attend an provide documentation of your efforts to stay afloat in AP Stats. Also, if the median grade in the class is as low as your own grade (or lower!), you can have your counselor mention that to your college as well. But if you don’t dip below a C at the end of the year, you have no worries. And even if you get a D, you ought to be able to make a strong case in your defense unless you’re planning to attend at UC school where D’s can be problematic.

Hey Sally, thank you for responding, I will be visiting StonyBrook university soon and I was wondering if I should bring up my very poor math grade in person while I am there and let them know why. Would that be better? They are one of the schools that haven’t made a decision on me yet and they are also my first choice.

Thanks again for responding, have a good day.

Any responses to @Nevets04 in Post #740?

@UniversityDreams -I think that you should only bring up your math grade if you are meeting privately with your regional rep (the admissions staff member who oversees applicants from your high school). You should not mention your concerns to a receptionist or to any random admission officer who conducts an info session or even to your regional rep if it’s in a group setting.

If you already have a meeting set up with your regional rep, it’s a good idea to mention the math issue but try to emphasize what you’re doing to try to overcome the problem rather than simply placing blame on a personality conflict with the teacher or on a lousy math department. The key is to show that you’re not being lazy rather than to suggest that you’ve been screwed over.

If you don’t have an appointment set up already with your regional rep, then you might want to try to make one, explaining that you won’t take a lot of his or her time but you want to discuss a problem with your math grade. At this busy time of year, you might not get the appointment but it’s worth asking about. If you speak to your regional rep (or if you email ahead of time to plan a meeting) be sure to mention that Stony Brook is your first choice.

Hi! I live in Germany and we have to take centralized exams in five subjects (I think theyre called national leaving exam or something in English) on top of regular classes that show up in our final transcript and count toward our overall GPA. So I’m really scared because I really messed up on my Math exam and I feel like I’m going to get a D. All my other exams went (or will hopefully go) very well. For my last semester of Math class I will get a B. Do you think something like this might lead to a rescinded acceptance at a college like UNC?

Hi! I live in India and here we have centralized exams by the National Board (CBSE). These are the only grades that show up on our final transcript. I’m really scared because I had really bad exams and am worried about the results.I have a very good academic record in high school but these exams might mess up things. I have received acceptance from RIT, St.Edwards, LMU. Do you think this might lead to a rescinded acceptance like RIT?

@AmericanOutsider -If you receive a B in the math class, your acceptance offer will not be rescinded,

@qazwsxedcplmok-You will probably be fine but it really depends on how bad your exam grades were. If you fail (or come close to failing) every one, it would wave a red flag that something is amiss. But it’s likely that, if this is the case, the admission officials will discuss the situation with you and your school counselor (if you have one) before making a rash decision to revoke.

Hello! So I noticed that one of my classes was reported twice it was Avid, would that cause UCSD to take back their offer?

@mani4456-No. Don’t worry.

I am having a really, really tough time this semester in my A.P Calculus class. I received a C last semester, but I am terrified that I may end with a D this semester. I am doing everything I can to bring it up, but worrying is getting the best of me. My top two schools are Brandeis University and UC Santa Cruz. I have just gotten accepted to UCSC and will hear back from Brandeis tomorrow. Assuming the worst, and I do get one D, (all my other grades are good, A’s and B’s) what are the chances that Brandeis/UCSC would rescind me? I’m horrified that my future may be completely altered due to my math performance. (I’ve applied as a sociology major, if it makes any difference). Also, when should one notify a school if they believe they may receive a D? Thank you!

@Sally_Rubenstone Hi Sally, I was conditionally admitted to Cal Poly SLO as a transfer. I sort of didn’t expect to get in so I didn’t really do a lot of research on how to record my grades on my application. A few semesters ago I got C’s in two major classes. A couple of semesters later I retook the same two classes at a different college (just to prove to myself that I could do better) and ended up getting B’s. A counselor told me that my B’s wouldn’t count because although I took them at a different college they both articulate as the same course and you cannot repeat a course that you’ve already passed. Anyway, I recorded my original C grades but didn’t record the retaken B’s. Would this omission be reason to rescind my application? Their terms state that EVERY class must be recorded on the application. I’ve submitted my transcripts and it appears they’ve received them, I just don’t know how quickly they’ll evaluate them.

@annabananna -You can send a note to Cal Poly to rectify this minor error but it shouldn’t hurt you. The fact that you sent the LOWER grades and not the higher ones will work in your favor.

Thanks for your reply @Sally_Rubenstone
I decided to call admissions and the person I spoke with said it should not be a problem and that she would make a note of it on my application explaining the discrepancy.

If I quit an extra curricular could that jeopardize my admission? I am a member of NTHS and I really don’t like it, plus with required service hours it’s a bigger commitment than I expected. I have been admitted to and plan on going to either Florida State University or the University of Florida, if I quit NTHS would either of those schools rescind my admission? Also, if I don’t complete my required hours of community service I could be kicked out of NTHS, would the schools know that and would they rescind my admission for that reason? I’m keeping up my GPA and have had no changes in my grades, so would this really effect me?

Hello Dean Rubenstone,

I have never been a particularly outstanding student. Due to a series of changes that happened between eighth and ninth grade (transferring into an academically competitive school and being unable to keep up with the curriculum) I fell into a pattern of studying, panicking, performing poorly on tests, and fearing that I would never be successful. Although I received tutoring and informal counseling/therapy (by which I mean that I had weekly meetings with a therapist after her work hours, and that I never had official medical records taken), nothing improved and my parents ended up moving me back to my previous school. I showed a slight upward trend in junior year, received a positive recommendation letter from my math teacher (despite it being my weakest subject), committed myself to major-specific extracurriculars, and somehow got accepted into a majority of the schools I applied to.

However, what worries me now is that my second semester grades will affect the acceptances I have received so far. My test anxiety seems to have gotten worse over the past few months, and I’m scared that some of my current grades (an F in statistics and D in computer science) will lead to a rescission. I’m trying my best to raise up my scores, but I don’t know how much will change between now and graduation. What are the chances of my acceptances being rescinded, and what will I be able to do to ‘make up’ for it (if at all possible)?

@aaaammy123 -I have never heard of a college rescinding an acceptance because a student withdrew from an honor society … even if the “withdrawal” was based on being booted out for not fulfilling community-service commitment. But, just to be on the up and up, sent a brief email to your colleges saying that you have elected to withdraw from this group because it hasn’t been fulfilling, well-organized (whatever your major complaint is) and then add something that you’ll be doing instead (e.g., putting more time into another activity that you name, hunting for a job, helping your family with some domestic duty). In other words, put a positive spin on it.

While it’s highly unlikely that there will be any repercussions if you just drop out and don’t say anything, it can’t hurt to act super-responsible and notify the colleges.

@appletea -With a D and and F on your final transcript, it is indeed possible that your offers of admission could be rescinded. This largely depends on factors that I am not privy to, particularly the selectivity and policies of the colleges that have admitted you and your transcript overall (e.g., were there other D’s or F’s in the past?)

Your best bet is to be proactive: Write to all of these colleges (or just to the one that you plan to attend, if you’ve made your choice). Explain that you are struggling in these classes but still making your best effort. If you can get corroboration from teachers who will claim that you do your homework but then freeze up on tests, then you should offer to send in such letters of support. If you are getting any sort of tutoring or extra help, be sure to say that too.

You can ask in your letter if there are any steps you should take (e.g., a summer class) to rectify the situation. If you are doing especially well in any OTHER academic classes, also be sure to mention that in your letter.

You’re much better off telling admission offices about this downturn now and explaining the efforts you’re making to stay afloat rather than waiting for them to receive a final transcript in the summer.

Good luck!