When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@pierreboisseau -You’re fine. Even in typical times, two C’s in dual-enrollment classes probably wouldn’t affect your acceptance at Macalester. But now, with all the COVID craziness and the switch to online learning, admission folks will be more flexible than ever when it comes to drops in grades.

If you feel that your downturn in grades was likely the product of the confusion of taking your classes on Zoom (or via some other online format), then go ahead and email your admissions rep to explain, also pointing out that your C’s will be viewed as B’s by your high school. But I really don’t see a pressing need for this, unless you’d feel more comfortable offering up the explanation. Admission folks are always happy to know that their accepted seniors aren’t slacking, even when there’s a drop in grades. So you might feel better if you do write, but–meanwhile–I really don’t think you have to worry about losing your place in the class.

Hey Ms. Sally!
I committed to University of Michigan, but because of online learning this semester my grades have dropped significantly. I have received 2 C’s in AP Macro and US History and a D in AP Literature. I have already emailed the admissions department explaining how I missed a significant amount of school in February and March, and that the pandemic had hit at such a time that I wasn’t able to submit all my late work. I also explained a plan of action and how I intend to rectify this at the school, including planning out my day, as well as willing to meet with an admissions counselor once a month to prove how my grades won’t decline. Based off this what are my chances of getting rescinded?

@umichstudenthelp - As I’ve said several times in this forum already, admission officials are likely to grant a lot more “wiggle room” for low grades this semester due to the pandemic and to all the changes and confusion it’s spawned. BUT … one red flag for me here is that you said that you weren’t able to turn in late work because of it. I’m not clear on why this is so. Can’t you submit work electronically at any time?

If you’d gotten just the two C’s, I’d tell you not to worry due to this spring’s extra flexibility, but two C’s AND a D could be a problem, especially if your explanation about the late work sounds suspicious to the admission folks. So please post again and explain in more detail why you couldn’t submit your late work. (Perhaps your inability to turn in your work is related to the reason that you missed school in the first place and might account for it?)

It’s still likely that your acceptance will stand, even in spite of these plummeting grades, but I can’t say that it will with as much conviction as I’ve had in other recent instances when students have asked about the impact of a couple of C’s.

Hey Ms. Sally! The reason for my late work was in February and March where I had missed large amounts of school, and all the assignment up to that point had been paper assignments. I explained how it was partially my fault for a lack of time management, and gave an in depth explanation on how I have rectified and begun to fix the problem. I had intended to work with my teachers and my counselor to get a plan going for submitting my late assignments, however my school went on remote learning immediately after, which meant that quizzes and other such assignments I had to make up, I didn’t have time too because my teacher would not let me take them online.

@umichstudenthelp -In a typical year, the college admission officers could be pretty unhappy about your downturn, but they’re being really lenient this spring due to all of the pandemic-related upheaval, so I think you should be okay.

It’s wise that you already reached out to the admission office to explain your situation and your plans for staying on track. The college folks like it when students take responsibility for an academic downturn before the college has to start interrogating them about it. So, again, I think you’ll be fine, but let us know what happens, and best of luck.

Hi @Sally_Rubenstone
I am a senior who has committed to a college for Fall 2020. Last fall, when I was applying to colleges, I self-reported nearly all of my scores, but didn’t report two of my scores (seeing as they were 3s). Though my college does not give any credit for APs, it is still asking students to send in official score reports for record keeping. Will I get rescinded for not disclosing those scores during admissions if I send the score report now?

@sxqu125 -AP scores are not a mandatory part of the admission process so you won’t get in trouble for not submitting all your scores in the fall.

You are entitled to send one “free” AP score report. However, this report will include ALL of your AP results. If you don’t want the college folks to see the scores you didn’t tell them about, you can chose to pay to have those scores withheld at ten bucks per score. See https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/score-reporting-services/withhold-scores

However, if you were MY child, I’d tell you to save your money and send just the free report without withholding any scores because the college will not penalize you for not disclosing those 3’s.

Hey Ms. @Sally_Rubenstone ,
I’m a senior from NJ who was admitted (& committed) to Georgia Tech during the early action period. While my first semester grades were fine, my second semester (with the ongoing pandemic) has been really difficult. My mom lost her job just before the lockdown started and my father has had substantial pay cuts since he works in the hospitality industry. As a result, I’ve had to work part time (~ 5-6 hours/day) with food delivery services to help bring an additional income in.

Due to all the stressful circumstances, I’ve had a lot of trouble focusing on things. I’ve struggled with mental health issues and anorexia throughout high school and this has just aggravated everything. Things have been getting a little better over the past few weeks with stimulus payments but my parents have started getting me help with tele-health counselors. The chances of me getting diagnosed with depression are quite high, but I really want to find a way out of this hole.

On top of all this, my teachers have really not been forgiving in regards to the grading. Some of them are not accepting my assignments, even though my school has policy that we get to turn assignments in until May 28th. They are citing lack of communication, but don’t realize how difficult these past two months have been for me. I’ve tried reaching out to my school counselor and a few school administrators about the issue but they have not gotten back to me yet. So, if nothing changes, my grades this semester are currently one D and two C’s (no failing grades, and with the others being generally fine).

I certainly believe that my situation will improve as I start getting help with mental health counselors. But, still, I am really worried if this still stands as grounds for getting rescinded from Georgia Tech. I wanted to get your advice on how I should deal with this situation.

Thanks in advance.

@roldansean -I’m sorry you’re having such a tough time. Some teenagers are getting hit harder than others by this pandemic and you’re one of them. But you’re smart to be reaching out for advice.

Admission officials are going to be more lenient than ever with drops in senior grades. But because your grades have dipped a lot this semester, I suggest that you email Georgia Tech now to explain your situation… Direct your email to your regional admissions rep (if you know who that is) with a copy to the main admissions address. (If you can’t find out who your regional rep is due to the admission office being closed, just send your message to the main admissions address and–if there are ANY admissions staff members you’ve already dealt with directly–copy them.)

Your message should say almost exactly what you’ve said here, but I recommend a couple exceptions:

–Don’t mention your anorexia or mental health issues. Simply say that you’re struggling because of your family’s economic downturn, your added job hours–which are significant–and the difficulties you’ve had completing your classes online, including a lack of response from the school personnel you’ve contacted.

Once you get to campus in the fall, you can check in with the health services to make sure you receive support for your mental health concerns, but there’s no need to spur the admission folks to wonder if you’re going to be ready for rigorous academics in a few months.

-End on a positive note. Point out that your family situation has improved with the stimulus money and that you’re seeing an online counselor to help you cope with the changes and stress. Emphasize that you view your downturn in grades as a temporary glitch brought on by the pandemic and its associated problems and pressures. But be sure to say that you feel you will be fully prepared to begin your college work in the fall. (Georgia Tech is currently claiming that classes will be held on campus.)

These are very trying times, and many people who have never suffered from depression before are currently feeling its effects. So you are wise to be getting help and to be taking action concerning your second-semester grades rather than being an ostrich.

Wishing better days ahead soon to you and your family.

Hi, @Sally_Rubenstone !

I got accepted to UCLA but I fear that I might get rescinded… When I compared my final transcript to the grades and courses I submitted to UCLA, I found out that 3 of my courses weren’t on the UC App I filled out - a writing course for international students in freshman year (according to my counselor, it’s not an A-G course and I got B for both semesters), and P.E. (sophomore year and first semester of senior year, and I got A for all three semesters). The reason was that I wasn’t able to find these courses from the dropdown menu that the UC App provided when you are filling in courses and grades. I’ve reported these discrepancies to UCLA (currently awaiting responses), and I started to have anxiety attacks recently because of this… Would this really get me rescinded, or should I stop worrying about it?

Thanks!

@MotherHunter … Stop worrying about it!! :wink:

While the UC folks can be fussy when courses listed on applications don’t match those on final transcripts, the trouble usually comes when a student lists classes (especially hard ones) and then doesn’t actually take them or takes a less rigorous version (e.g., after claiming to be in the AP or Honors section on the application, the student takes the regular section instead).

You’ve already reported your small discrepancies, which was appropriate, but I promise that you won’t lose your place in the class because of them.

Hi, @Sally_Rubenstone . I’d first like to thank you for replying to everyone and helping us out in these times.

I was admitted to UC Berkeley in the College of Letters and Sciences this year.

I know UCs policy this year has changed, and our school district has switched to Pass/No Pass. However, due to the extreme circumstances created due to my mom’s illness and the chemo/surgery she had to go through for at least two months (from which she is still recovering), all my grades took a dive, but none as much as Stats, which I will likely Not Pass.

All my other classes are mid Bs to mid As, and that’s been the case for most of my time in high school. After I heard recently that grades were closing soon, I immediately submitted an Undergrad Admissions form update to my committed UC today. I received word that they can’t make a decision until the grades are finalized, and can’t judge a hypothetical grade (as that is how I worded my first update.)

I’m very worried I’ll be rescinded. I have medicals records and whatnot to prove these circumstances legitimately happened, and my A-G requirements for math were already filled as I completed my 3 years of math up to junior year. AP Stats is an elective math I decided to take, and is still weighted. I also let the Office of Admissions know I took the AP test and will likely get a very strong score. I also signed up for two summer courses online to prove rigor and also opened myself up to take more.

@uelliot -It sounds lik you’re doing everything “right” so far to try to keep your place at Cal. While, ordinarily, the UC schools are likely to rescind acceptances when seniors fail classes, the atypical circumstances this year due to the pandemic along with the personal stress you’re experiencing because of your mother’s illness, are likely to work in your favor. Although the GPA demands that the UC schools put on seniors are well publicized, the truth is that each case is weighed individually, and you are in a pretty decent position to keep your acceptance even if you should fail AP Stats due to all the extenuating circumstances.

The only other thing that you can do while you wait and that perhaps you have NOT done already is to contact your AP Stats teacher and explain your mother’s health crisis and beg for a Pass, if you’re grade is borderline.

Best of luck to you and, especially, to your mom.

Hi @Sally_Rubenstone,
I recently got accepted into UCI for the Fall 2020 quarter as a transfer student. However, I made the stupid mistake of cheating on my physics exam. I was caught cheating from using chegg to get solutions for two exams. My professor notified me that I will be failing the class and will be sending in an academic dishonesty report to the dean. I was desperate to meet the requirements and pass the class. I know that there is no excuse for cheating and I let my professor know I take full responsibility for it. I struggled to transition into a remote setting and went with the easy route, which I payed for in the end. I know my chances of being rescinded are very high. It is my first offense as I do have a clean record until now. I am already prepared to retake the class in the summer. I truly regret my decision to cheat and am remorseful of my actions. What are my chances now? I am lost on what to do. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

@user_706041 -As I’m sure you realize, college admission officials consider cheating to be a VERY serious offense, and you could pay dearly for your mistake by losing your place at UCI.

College folks do seem to be granting extra leniency due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but this largely applies to drops in grades and not to academic dishonesty.

BUT … if you are quick to disclose your cheating to UCI and to express extreme remorse, you might have a chance to keep your spot there. Explain that the anxiety caused by the pandemic seems to have led you to a place where you acted very much unlike yourself and went against your own personal values. Add that, looking back, you can’t believe you did this.

If the pandemic has caused unusual stress for you in particular, be sure to say so, but without trying to remove any of the responsibility for the cheating from your shoulders.

What do I mean by “unusual stress?” Well, I’ve heard of students whose parents have lost jobs which has led to anger and fear at home; some of these students have taken on extra jobs themselves that cut into study time. There are also students who have little or no Internet access or who are sharing computers with several family members or who have no quiet place to study. There are even some students who are caring for siblings because their parents caught the virus or are working constantly at frontline jobs.

COVID-19 has had a major impact on almost all of us, but some people are definitely suffering more than others. So if this is you–and if this affected your studies–it’s fine to say so. But, again, be sure to clearly admit your guilt and your remorse without a line-up of excuses.

You should also tell UCI admission officials what you are willing to do to try to make up for your poor judgment. This could include retaking the class in the summer, as you’ve already suggested. You can also propose that you will check in weekly with a dean or advisor in the fall to prove that you are staying on track academically, and you can offer to do community service for the university.

Emphasize that, not only is this a first offense but also that you can barely recognize the person who committed it because it is not the “real” you.

Finally, conclude by saying that you have already learned a lot from this episode about the person you want to be and about how you need to learn to respond more ethically to pressure.

You do have a chance of retaining your spot at UCI. Frankly, the decision may be based in part on whether UCI has extra places to fill or is already over-enrolled. A few years ago, this university got some bad press when they rescinded an unusually large number of acceptances due mostly to grades, and then it came to light that the school had made some poor enrollment decisions and had admitted too many students. So maybe you will get lucky and this will be the year that UCI actually needs MORE students. On the other hand, because many students who would otherwise go away to college have decided to stay in CA due to the pandemic, it’s possible that UCI will be overenrolled again. Thus, luck may end up being in your favor or could work against you here. I have no way of knowing.

In any case, if UCI does revoke your place, it may feel like the end of the world but it is not. You may decide to take a year off and then reapply to college for the following fall, fully disclosing why you opted for the gap year. You can also apply to less selective or open-admission colleges. To find those that meet many of your preferences, try the College Board’s “Big Future” search: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-search

On the left-hand menu, click on “Test Scores and Selectivity” and then choose colleges that are “Less Selective” or offer “Open Admission.” These are the places that will probably be most forgiving of your cheating incident.

You can also check out the National Association for College Admissions Counseling’s “College Openings Updates” at https://www.nacacnet.org/news–publications/Research/CollegeOpenings/ This is a list of colleges and universities nationwide that are still seeking applicants. Be sure to note whether there are vacancies for transfers and not just for freshmen. The list also will tell you if housing and financial aid are still available. Often they are.

Meanwhile, try not to feel as if you’ve made an insurmountable error–one that you can’t come back from. Yes, the cheating was a stupid choice, but everyone makes stupid choices somewhere along the line. And by the time you get to be my age, you will realize that many of these were far, far worse than yours and did have serious consequences. In your case, however, even if UCI does rescind your acceptance, you can move on and find other options–perhaps even one that will some day seem as if it were meant to be all along. Keep in mind these wise words of Alexander Graham Bell, who said:

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

If Alexander Graham Bell were alive today and saw his first smartphone, he’d probably have a heart attack. :wink: But I’m sure he would still agree that we must look beyond closed doors in search of open ones.

Good luck, and please let us know how this turns out because your situation, albeit painful for you, can be helpful to others in your shoes in the future.

Hi @Sally_Rubenstone,
Thanks for the quick response. I do have an update that my physics professor has reconsidered my apology and will instead give me a D in the class, without any other further punishment. I am still going to be taking physics in the summer honestly. How does everything change now for me? Thank you.

@user_706041 -That’s a HUGE gift from your physics teacher! However, it still doesn’t guarantee that your acceptance won’t be rescinded because the UC schools do NOT like D’s. But you are definitely on far more solid footing, now that the cheating allegation won’t be on your record.

So you still need to contact UCI to try to explain the low grade. Here, you can use the disruptions caused by the pandemic which may indeed have made an already-difficult subject far more so. I’m hearing from many students who are struggling in areas like math and science without the usual face-to-face instruction, even if they’re doing fine in humanities and social science courses. So, if you can use the pandemic as an excuse for your low grade—but while still accepting responsibility for a poor performance and without sounding too whiny–there’s a very good chance that you won’t lose your transfer spot.

Don’t wait for UCI to get your grades and contact you. Be proactive!

Good luck, and do please let us know how it worked out.

Hi @Sally_Rubenstone,
Will I be emailing UCI about my grade as soon as possible? Or should I be waiting on a response from my GC about my situation and see what they have to say. When would be the optimal time to tell them about my grade? Thanks.

@user_706041 -You shouldn’t do anything unless you are SURE that the cheating episode won’t be mentioned to UCI. I had inferred that only the physics prof knew about it and had decided not to pursue it. But if your counselor is aware of the incident, that is a different story because he or she may feel compelled to disclose it. And, if that happens, you should disclose it too and apologize etc. as I’d explained earlier today.

Ordinarily I would tell you to contact UCI right away. But it’s very important that you DON’T claim that the D is the result of pandemic stress if UCI is going to learn that it’s the result of cheating. I had thought that the physics prof was going to withdraw the cheating allegation. But now I’m not clear on what UCI is going to learn from your GC.

So don’t write to UCI until you know exactly what the university is going to find out about the cheating.

Hi Sally,
I was accepted to a mid tier private school (university of San Diego) as an honors student, with a cal grant and huge merit scholarship. Due to the pandemic, I have had dealt with a lot mentally, and will most likely not pass my AP Physics class, my school moved to P/NP. I do not need this class to graduate, and will pass all other classes. Could I get rescinded, lose honors, or lose my scholarship? Thanks in advance!