When does the FAFSA/CSS need to be submitted

I am wrapping up my application and looking to submit it today, but my parents aren’t quite done with the FAFSA or CSS. If the website says “Prospective students will be considered for [college’s] need-based aid only when they apply for financial aid before an admission decision is made.” Since it isn’t rolling admissions, I should be fine submitting my application today and then my parents submitting the FAFSA/CSS in a few days, as long as they are both in before the November 15th deadline, correct?

Usually the college’s financial aid section (or sometimes admission) section will set up a table with admission date and then financial aid date.

So you could email the financial aid department and ask.

But if you have it in by the admissions deadline date, you’ll be fine.

Here’s an example of what I mentioned - so your school will have something similar too.

Plans and Deadlines | Emory University | Atlanta GA

Yes

1 Like

the admission date and financial aid date are both Nov 15, but my mom is convinced that if I submit my application before she submits the fafsa and css, even if they are both submitted before Nov 15, that they might look at my application before the fafsa comes in and it will mess up my financial aid. Since its not a rolling admissions school that doesn’t make any sense but I just wanted to check before I tell her for sure

Make your mom happy and wait a bit longer - tell her to get her stuff done quickly.

But your mom is not correct. If the school is need aware and you are border line, they’ll look at everything b4 deciding. If need blind they won’t.

As long as you are meeting the priority deadline for admissions, you can wait - but you are correct and she’s not.

But again, make mom happy.

Ps have your run the NPC to see if you’ll even qualify for aid.

I surmise most turn in apps b4 fafsa/css.

No need to do this. When your application is received, the school will start a file for you…and they will add the financial aid forms etc to that file when they come in.

Just make sure your parents complete those financial aid forms before the deadlines. Remember also, it takes time for the Profile to be processed…best to submit early.

Yes - there is no need as I pointed out - but it would pacify mom as I noted and sometimes you need to pacify another person in your life for sanity sake.