When to look for apartments?

<p>If we want a nice apartment extremely close to campus, when should we begin the 2015-2016 search? I hear it’s super early. </p>

<p>It depends on 2 main things:

1. if you want a 4 bedroom and choose all your on roommates.<br>
  2. if you have a car</p>

<p>East Edge is very popular because it is 3 years old, walking distance to campus and has the Crimson Ride bus service. This makes it very popular. October was the time period to get on the list the last 2 years.</p>

<p>The Lofts also filled early for signing full 4 bedroom. They were filled by December. They also have Crimson Ride service.</p>

<p>If you do not care about living with 3 others you choose, then there is no rush. Many apartments have openings now for this school year. Even the new apartments like The Lofts still have availability for this semester.</p>

<p>I disagree about there being no rush if you don’t have a suite of 4 at EE. If you’d want a one-bedroom or two-bedroom or want to live with specific RMs, you need to sign ASAP. </p>

<p>And you’d need to define “nice”. I have been in a unit in the complex behind Publix which was very nice. Of course, that complex does not have the amenities that EE does but it the location can’t be beat. You’ll need to figure out your priorities (location, price, amenities, furnished etc) and figure out which complex best fits your needs.</p>

<p>My D applied at East Edge in early November and they did NOT have the type of unit she wanted - they were already spoken for at that point. She did end up getting what she wanted for fall when someone backed out of their lease this past June, but that was pure luck, and based on her experience, I’d say if you want specific roommates or a 1 bedroom or large studio at EE, you should be prepared to apply/sign in September or October. I can’t speak to other complexes.</p>

<p>Not to hijack the thread, but around how much does it cost to rent off campus at UA? Less or more than at the regular dorms?</p>

<p>Do parents ever purchase condos for their kids to live in and then keep them as rental properties? </p>

<p>The prices vary depending on location, how old the property is, amenities, and how many bedrooms.</p>

<p>My son is paying < $500/month after a discount for renewing his lease in a 4 BR at the Woodlands (near Target) with most of the amenities of the resort style complexes. Even with a 12 month lease the total is less than the suite style dorms and since he renewed there wasn’t a significant move-out/move-in to deal with.</p>

<p>There are some units that are farther from campus, are older, or have less amenities that cost less.</p>

<p>There are other units closer to campus, that are newer, or units that only have 1 or 2 BRs that cost significantly more.</p>

<p>Price really just depends what you’re looking for.</p>

<p><a href=“http://offcampushousing.ua.edu/”>http://offcampushousing.ua.edu/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Here is a good source for info on off-campus housing.</p>

<p>I recall it being in early to mid October last year- My son got lucky and is in a house- walking distance- friends parents bought house- it is MUCH less than the dorms…rent can be anywhere from 700 and up close to campus… less $$$ further away…</p>

<h1>7 -those are the monthly rates?</h1>

<p>Never mind - figured it out. Thanks!</p>

<p>Rates can vary widely. Some students pay upwards of $800 per month and some pay less than $300 per month, some utilities included. Most student leases run 12 months and begin/end in August.</p>

<p>Our DS moved into an older place just 1 block from the Stadium. It’s 2 BR 2 BA and is $1100/mo. No utilities, no cable, etc. He started looking 1 year ago in August.</p>