Which colleges have done away with [or never had] legacy admissions?

This thread is meant to be a list of colleges that no longer have legacy. There are other existing threads to discuss legacy admission. Thank you for understanding.

4 Likes

It’s not complicating the thread. It can be schools that don’t use legacy considerations. Who cares when the policy started?

4 Likes

I don’t believe this list for Davidson. Can’t speak for the rest.

1 Like

@citivas, I took the info as presented in The Washington Post article:

It looks like they scraped it from the Common Data Set and indeed as of the latest 2022-23 year Davidson now claims they do not consider legacy which is a change from even one year earlier CDS data. So either they have made a conscious policy change or a reporting error in the latest CDS.

Davidson even a couple years ago made a pretty big deal of liking multigenerational students and siblings and the school admitted far more siblings than would be statistically likely without consideration. So if the change is real, that’s a pretty big change for them. Certainly possible it’s a conscious change as it would correspond with their recent change in leadership.

2 Likes

I think it’s important to be honest and transparent with potential students. If alumni relationships are not considered, it is important that this be clearly stated in the overall dataset. This will help potential students make an informed decision about whether to apply for admission to the university.

Just heard that Carleton ended legacy admissions today.

3 Likes

Yep: https://www.carleton.edu/news/stories/carleton-ends-legacy-admissions/

3 Likes

Apologies if I missed this, but I didn’t see NYU listed yet… they announced in early September that they will no longer be asking students to say if they are a child of an alum on the Common App

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.