Which dorm or residence would you recommend?

<p>I will be a freshman at UW Madison this fall. I am 19 years old, since I took a gap year. Honestly, I don't even really want to go to Madison. If I could afford it, I'd go out of state. I moved to Wisconsin 3 years ago, right in the middle of high school, and still don't like it. But, as the best feasible option, I have chosen to go there. I'm not a partier and am considering doing the honors program and working as hard as I can. That being said, I still want to make a lot of friends and have fun. I hope to get involved with a lot on campus. I love nature, running, hiking, ect. I want to be near the gym and I am a vegetarian. At first, I was definitely going to choose a Lakeshore dorm, but I think the Southeast might be better just to meet people. Plus, the SERF is right there. If I lived in Lakeshore, I would put Liz as my first choice, which is quite a way from the NAT. I'm an undecided major, but thinking of doing Conservation Biology and going into Law later on. I have looked at Lucky 101 as well, but have heard that I will meet more people and have a better experience in the dorms. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks</p>

<p>With all the people from around the US and the world, Madison while in Wisconsin, has a more national feel and you can find friends form just about anywhere. They recently started a residential learning community with an environmental focus in Cole. The LCs tend to attract a broader range of students who are more focused on academics and less on partying so it might be a good fit. They also have events where people tend to mix and get to know each other faster.
Most love it–even those from far away places.</p>

<p>[GreenHouse</a> Residential Learning Community - home](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/greenhouse/]GreenHouse”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/greenhouse/)</p>

<p>You may want to choose Lakeshore dorms over Southeast if you would rather be closer to nature than live in a city highrise. You mention running- getting to places on campus should be no problem for you. There are two main running options on campus- a running club and the Wisconsin Track Club. The track club includes cross country running and priveleges in the Shell next to Camp Randall for winter running- plus members participate in D3 regional CC meets.</p>

<p>Living in the Lakeshore dorms other than Liz will put you close to the Lakeshore path and an easy way to Picnic Point, nice places to destress. You will find food in the dorms to suit your lifestyle. You also will have a dorm room refrigerator and you or your roommate can bring a microwave oven. The Whole Foods store is just west of campus on University.</p>

<p>Don’t be discouraged by needing to go to UW- coming from a Madison suburb it wasn’t my idea of leaving home. The campus is its own world, however, vastly different from being in whichever town you went to HS. The world comes to the campus, you can choose to be exposed to many different lifestyles. You also will evolve much as a person- keep an open mind.</p>

<p>Well, I didn’t say I was a good runner haha. Its just a hobby. Do you think I will meet as many people in Lakeshore? The other Lakeshore dorms besides Liz seem a little too far away from classes, so I’m reluctant to try any of those out. Honestly, if its just for a year, I think I’ll be fine in Southeast. I can just go elsewhere to study.</p>

<p>The Lakeshore dorms are quieter from outside noise, too. My son lives in Ogg which is on the corner of Park Street - he can’t count how many times a day (well, that would be day and night) that ambulances scream by on the way to the hospital a few blocks away. But, I suppose you get used to it.</p>

<p>While you may think Lakeshore is ‘far’ students get used to walking, biking or taking the free, frequent buses to class (Routes 80 and 85 constantly circle the campus).</p>

<p>You will never get to know all of the people in your dorm- 300 or 1000 people. All dorms, large and small, are divided into houses of around 50-70 people, on one or two floors (or a building for Kronshage). Every dorm will expose you to the people in your house. You will run into people in the laundry room and in the food service places. It does not matter which dorm you live in- you will be exposed to hundreds of people. You will likely see some of them many times as your habits mesh with theirs.</p>

<p>Which people you meet in the dorm will depend on where you live. Those who also chose your dorm area will already have something in common with you- they also wanted that area of campus. Don’t worry about distances. Walking, in all weather, is good exercise. Once you get to your first class of the day you will be walking from that building to another- it won’t matter where you started from. Also- a class section may be held in a building far from the department’s home so trying to be close doesn’t always work.</p>

<p>Choose the neighborhood you want to live in. Think about it- your parents chose the neighborhood they wanted to be in after work/on weekends- they didn’t just consider the houses closest to their jobs. Likewise you need to consider where you want to be evenings and weekends (most UW students stay on campus- not a suitcase college).</p>

<p>Do not worry about distances- pros and cons to every dorm’s location. You will also meet people in your classes. Don’t worry if they live in a dorm far from yours- you can eat in any Res Halls food place so lunch or dinner/supper together is easy (and the Res Halls no spending amount required plus food service places being open to the public means it is easy to eat with nondorm friends as well).</p>