Which looks better - 4 years of math or 3 years of science? AP Calc AB or Physics

And to your point, or I’m making your point :slight_smile: perhaps the list can remain but affordable safeties will likely need to be added.

I still would take stats. My daughter is in social science and I looked at all the majors in her school in social science, even Econ and all require stats. Econ calculus too.

Thx for bringing up the important point.

Like @M_Fun my kids HS doesn’t list middle school math on the transcript, even for the rare kids who had completed through pre-calc by 8th grade. I assume it’s all over the board from school to school. In the case of the UC app (sounds like OP is in CA), it wouldn’t matter since they give you a place specifically to list qualified middle school math courses in the app even if they don’t appear on your HS transcript.

But for some colleges, they are looking at number of years taken in HS and not just the level completed. (This is an often misunderstood point that has been debated on CC before and some people are passionately convinced otherwise, so I acknowledge the different beliefs and hopefully we don’t need to revisit it.) These schools are looking to see the the student remained engaged in the various academic disciplines available and didn’t just complete level X, at least to the extent available to them at their school. It sounds like the daughter may have prioritized multiple performance-based electives instead, which may be totally fine if she’s targeting performance programs and essentially if she’s doing audition programs. Will not be fine for many highly selective schools.

3 Likes

@citivas Ours is the same. I just got my senior’s transcript to verify before counselor will send out. Only courses taken in high school are on it. Courses taken in middle school will only be counted for earned credits toward graduation but not the year of study in high school. It seems California school has some unique way of presenting on transcript or counting the years of study. As I was told by my CA friend, they view “level” as year of study but not actual “year”. For example, when 2 years of foreign language is required for graduation, as long as student completes level 2 and up will fulfill the requirement. It does not have to be two years of studies in high school. However, in our district, we count it by years but not level. Therefore, you can take level 2 in 9th grade but it will not fulfill the two-year requirement. You will have to take level 2 and level 3, one year for each to fulfill the two-year requirement in NJ. I agreed if possible, she should consider taking both math and science in senior if she is targeting schools outside of CA.

I think it’s important to point out that even if the 2 years of middle school math allow the student to meet the minimum recommended UC requirements, there will be plenty of other students who will have completed 2 years of hs math in middle school plus another 4 years of math behind that— and there won’t be enough room for all of them at the most competitive UC campuses. Preparing a balanced list will be crucial.

4 Likes

All of this advice could be more directed if the OP would share what schools and majors the daughter is looking at. Chinx2, Any info for the group?

1 Like

Thanks for all the thoughts. D took Honor Geo the summer before 9th grade at another High School in the district. From the forums here I’ve read that the summer before should be considered with the following grade, which in our case is 9th grade. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong.) She then took Honors Algebra 2 in 9th grade during school year, and Honors Precalc in 10th grade…in my understanding that’s 3 math classes in High School. It is not 1 class every year in high school though. Is this ideal? No, but we are trying to balance rigor and health at this point.

She is still taking both Calc and Physics right now, but is losing steam for AP Calc…really wants to drop it.

She is interested in majoring in Theater/Women’s Studies.

We are still figuring out schools…but definitely the UCs, which her GC said do count middle school math (Honors Algebra).

Unfortunately AP Stat class period is same time as her Physics class.

Well the good news is UC or otherwise, there will be great schools for her with those majors.

1 Like

It will depend on the college. Some care more about doing the core academic subjects each full year of high school, others are less focused on this. And in many cases the colleges consider it general guidance and not a hard rule. But there are plenty of schools where what you propose is fine. If there’s a specific dream school, you should research it to see what they exect.

For the benefit of other posters, for UC and CSU purposes:

• High school level math taken before high school counts and should be reported on the application.
  • Even if not reported, the absence of algebra 1 is validated by taking algebra 2, precalculus, or calculus. (But CPSLO does not count a validated non-reported course for points in its admission formula.)
  • For UC, a geometry course must have been taken (but can be from before high school). CSU allows precalculus or calculus to validate a missing geometry course.
  • See https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/_files/documents/csu-uc-a-g-comparison-matrix.pdf (page 2 explains validation).

Regarding other colleges, it is possible that highly selective ones will consider it a deficiency if the student stopped taking math before reaching the highest level available to the student. Since the student completed precalculus in 10th grade and is offered calculus by the high school, not taking calculus may be seen as a deficiency in the application.

Regarding physics, some colleges are likely to have an admission preference for all three of biology, chemistry, and physics over missing one (or more) of them.

In terms of actual utility of course material:

• Statistics will be generally useful, particularly for social science majors as well as science majors.
  • While many find basic college statistics or AP statistics sufficient, some students will find a more in-depth calculus-based statistics course in college to be useful. Obviously, this requires calculus.
  • Some knowledge of physics can be helpful in some general contexts. For example, consider why a ballerina or figure skater’s spin changes when pulling in the arms. Or why short lug wrenches may not be sufficient to loosen the lug nuts or bolts to remove a wheel with a flat tire from a car.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.