Which Summer Option is Best?

<p>Our son plans to apply to UCs next year. I’m in search of advice so I can help him understand which summer alternative (in addition to his planned volunteer work and a part time job) would help his chances for admissions to schools like UCLA, UCB and UCSD…</p>

<p>As background:
• Currently a HS junior (in state)
• Plans to major in a science field (not engineering)
• 9-11 GPA - 4.0 UW, 10-11 Weighted GPA expected to be 4.4 by June
• Total planned UC A-G semesters (49); UC AP/Honors - 10 semesters this year + 9 semesters planned senior year
• Expects to complete 6 years math (incl. AP Stats & Calc AB), 5 science (2x Bio(incl AP), Physics(AP), Env Sc(AP), Chemistry(not AP), 4 Foreign Language
• Expected SAT – 1900-2100 range
• Has strong (not exceptional) extracurriculars (1 varsity sport, 100+ volunteer hours/year, 1 leadership role, modest work experience). </p>

<p>Option 1 – Take a course such as Statistics at a CC this summer, thereby freeing up a slot senior year to add AP Chemistry or AP foreign lang - would bring total AP/Honors semesters to 20 and total UC A-G semesters to 50.</p>

<p>Option 2 – Participate in an intensive 3 week pre-college program such as Academic Connections at UCSD where he’d focus on a science topic related to his field of interest.</p>

<p>Not clear how UC’s view the two options. I’m inclined to advise him to go with the option that he prefers from an overall college prep/enrichment and enjoyment perspective, but I’d like him to consider the potential impact on his admissions chances. </p>

<p>Is either option best from an admissions perspective (especially for UCLA/UCB/UCSD)?</p>

<p>I would actually say both is a great option, but choose the 3 week pre-college program. This is because there’s a special section on the application where you can put this program on. He’s got all the academic perfectly, but he lacks more extra curricular. This program may actually help him more than taking a class.</p>

<p>UCSD gives a few bonus points for students who attend UC summer prep programs. But with your son’s gpa, he won’t need the extra points. What he DOES need is higher test scores. With a 4.0 gpa, his target should be 2100+ for the big three campuses. More coursework ain’t gonna help. Higher test scores will.</p>

<p>Thus, my rec would be to forego both options and have him do something relevant to society – volunteer somewhere. It can make a great essay. And in his spare time, prep hard for fall tests. </p>

<p>fwiw: my son’s friend (a science geek) did the SD program and found it extremely boring. If you want academic challenge, and have the money, look at Cornell Summer College (for high schoolers).</p>

<p>btw: consider the ACT. Some kids do much better on it than on the SAT.</p>

<p>Thanks to both of you for your feedback/suggestions. </p>

<p>BlueBayou – he already volunteers each summer and will continue. And he plans to take the ACT…I agree he needs to aim high. Regarding the UCSD program…he is good at science and enjoys it, but is not a science geek as sounds like the case for your son’s friend, so the UCSD program may be a good fit – it gets good reviews, and they have a research option for hard core science folks. It is 3 weeks vs. 6 weeks for other programs, so that is nice as well. </p>

<p>I am taking from both your posts (BB and iequalstudent) that more academic classes may not be the best use of time this summer…</p>

<p>Any other opinions out there?</p>

<p>Since your son already has 100+ volunteer hours, I wouldn’t recommend that he just do some random volunteering this summer. That would look pretty transparent in my opinion, and for me, the key thing you said in your first post is that at this summer program “he’d focus on a science topic related to his field of interest.” Demonstrating passion is always, always the best option in my opinion. As for his SAT scores, it’s not that he shouldn’t prep, but I wouldn’t worry TOO much. A girl from my school got into about 5 ivies with similar scores due to the fact that she was ranked 2nd in our class and she had used her summers very judiciously, by taking independent trips to Africa. In fact, it was kind of a running joke in our class, but hey, she’s at Princeton now.</p>

<p>Thanks Francis…I appreciate your points – a clarification is that his volunteer hours are mostly in a single activity, and related to his area of interest, so it is not random volunteering, but pretty focused and showing consistency and dedication. Your post reinforces the thought that continuing with his volunteer activity and perhaps doing the UCSD program could be a good combo. Added benefits of the UCSD program include checking out UCSD, and experiencing campus life away from home. </p>

<p>Regarding the ACT/SAT thing, I agree that he should prepare and do his best, short of obsessing over it. </p>

<p>Thank you for the thoughts being shared here…please keep them coming!</p>

<p>Have you thought of having him studying abroad for the summer? There are programs that run for about 6 weeks or longer during the summer time. I think that’s a really great opportunity. In fact, I have had some friends do that last summer and they all had a blast. I think it really stands out on the application that your son is not only academics, but he goes out and explore opportunities. And if you don’t have the money, I know some programs that gives very generous financial aid. I’m not sure how much my friend had to pay, but I know half of it was paid for by the program. </p>

<p>I’m currently a senior in high school and I wish I had studied at another country so I would have been able to put it on my application. It’s unique because not everyone does it and it shows your personality is more than just getting good grades. In my opinion, is a better option than doing community service, taking classes or attending the UCSD program. My grades aren’t a good as your son, so to make up for it, I did about 500 community service hours from volunteering at my local hospital year-round since my freshman year and I’ve also taken courses at community college during the summer. And believe me, it’s nothing near as exciting as how my friends made their study abroad experience sound.</p>

<p>Good suggestion, ies, regarding international study. However, I believe he prefers something a little closer to home. I agree that can be a great option for a student is interested in, and ready for international study.</p>

<p>Oh yeah, I wasn’t trying to suggest that his volunteering was necessarily unfocused. That comment was more directed towards someone else who made a comment to the effect that any sort of volunteering would be better than either option you mentioned.</p>