Which UC is right for me?

Hey I am a senior and am trying to decide which UC’s to apply to, I do not want to be in the LA area, or the Fresno area which cancels out UCM, UCLA, UCR, and UCI. What is life like at UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, and UCD? In terms of the people and activities available?

Are you assuming that you will get into all of these schools?

No one knows what will fit you. You need to make that decision for yourself. Look at the websites, they are all very different. Visit the schools.

Maybe go visit the campuses when school is In session.

UCSD would be my first choice but that one I’m a little unsure of if I will get in, I more just want to know what student life is like to see which environment would be best for me of the others in case I don’t get into UCSD.

For all off-campus activities at UCSD, you’d need a car. Otherwise, you’re pretty much limited to on-campus activities. UCSD is rather isolated although it’s of course located in San Diego. It’s not like UCSB where there’s Isla Vista, a student town.

First, why don’t you post your stats, EC’s and intended major then posters might be able to steer you to some good options. Overall the UC’s are competitive schools so it is in your best interests to apply widely and determine the best fit once you have some acceptances in hand. There is still time to visit a few before the application deadline and you never know that maybe some campuses that you have crossed off your list might in fact be a good fit.

Fit is different for each individual so visiting can help define your list. Hopefully you plan to apply to other schools other than the UC’s. What are you looking for? Near a city with many activities, a college town experience, near the beach?

SAT- 690 math, 670 english
ACT- 29, but I’m retaking it in two weeks
I just took the SAT Subject tests in biology and math and am waiting for my scores.
I have a 3.98 unweighted GPA, 4.77 weighted but my school does it differently than the UC’s. And I am applying to non-UC’s as well but because I am ranked fourth in my school the UC’s have a program where I am guaranteed to be accepted into at least one of their schools.
I am planning on majoring in general biology but then switching into a more specific biology program once I decide what I want to do or what I like.
I have participated in many extracurricular activities, I am currently treasurer of Key Club at my school which I helped to start last year, I play two sports right now, and am working two part time jobs. The majority of my classes have been AP/Honors or actual college classes.
Other than not wanting to be in the LA area location is not that important to me I am more worried about meeting people who I will fit in with, and going to a school where I feel comfortable to be myself around the people, and where I fit in with the people. So preferably somewhere with more liberal views rather than conservative views.

You are ELC eligible based on your HS GPA and ranking which means you are guaranteed admission to UC Merced if you are not accepted into your choice UC. You do not get to choose which UC as the default campus.

You need to calculate your UC GPA: unweighted, capped weighted and fully weighted regardless of how your HS determines your GPA. UC’s only use 10-11th grades in their GPA calculation.

Here is the calculator: https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

UC’s in general are very liberal campuses so you should have no issue fitting in politically.

All the UC’s have a diverse student population so you should be able to find your tribe at any of the campuses.

Again, visiting the campuses is the best way for you to get an idea of what will work for you. All the campuses you have listed have pros and cons. As a parent that has visited all the UC campuses with both son’s, I found something to like about each school but I am not the one attending. I could give you a long list all the great things about each campus but until you actually tour and see for yourself, it will not help you discover your fit.

If you are unable to visit by the time you apply, then apply to all: UCSC,UCSB,UCD and UCSD. Visit during their open houses or accepted students day since you have until May 1 to make a decision.

I have toured UCSD, and UCSB and loved both campuses especially San Diego but that is the school I am most concerned about getting accepted into. My sister got accepted into UCSB for the exact same major, but she had lower test scores and a lower GPA for the UC GPA, and less extracurriculars, so I feel fairly confident about getting accepted there if nowhere else. My only problem with UCSB is that it is a little too close to my home, and that my sister does go there and I don’t want her to feel like I am intruding in her “area” even though it is a big school and it is unlikely that I will see or have classes with her unless we plan it.

The UC’s continue to more competitive each year, so you cannot base your chance of acceptance on your sister’s experience unless she was recently admitted.

Below is the UC admit data for all the campuses. They are based on the capped weighted UC GPA and not major specific. Biology is impacted at many campuses so it will be a tough admit than other majors.

2017 data. 2018 data not yet available.
Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 (capped weighted):

UCB: 12.6%
UCLA: 11.7%
UCSD: 38.7%
UCSB: 53.6%
UCD: 56.5%
UCI: 52.1%
UCSC: 75.7%
UCR: 90.1%
UCM: 96.1%

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above (capped weighted):

UCB: 42.7%
UCLA: 47.2%
UCSD: 84.2%
UCSB: 82.0%
UCD: 90.3%
UCI: 94.1%
UCSC: 92.7%
UCR: 97.5
UCM: 98.1%

2018 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.23
UCSD: 4.16
UCSB: 4.13
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.11
UCSC: 3.96
UCR: 3.81
UCM: 3.71

2018 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for ACT:
UCB: 30-35
UCLA: 31-35
UCSD: 28-34
UCSB: 28-34
UCD: 26-33
UCI: 26-33
UCSC: 26-32
UCR: 22-30
UCM: 19-26

For UCSD, Biological Sciences is a capped/impacted major so you need to select a non-capped major as an alternate. UCSD admits into the University first and then into the major, so there is always a possibility that you are admitted into UCSD but not into your major. You then have to take the required pre-req courses and try to switch majors.