Whom do you ask for recommendations?

<p>I am applying to nursing major in most universities. Some schools request supplementary application along with recommendation letters to nursing. One question on the recommendation form is: do you think the applicant is good in nursing career?</p>

<p>Who will be good to answer this question? How could my teachers in high school know if I am good in nursing career or not?</p>

<p>Have you volunteered in a nursing environment? If so,that is where you’d start…</p>

<p>References from volunteering at a hospital or other health care setting are great. Otherwise, consider whether you know any health care practitioners who might be able to write a reference based upon their personal knowledge of your activities, grades, interests, personality etc. (It helps if you give them a resume of the things that you want them to write about. Ideally their reference would add to the references that you are providing for the school, so that they all don’t say exactly the same thing.)</p>

<p>The hospital that I volunteered for 250 hours said they can write a letter whcih said how many hours I volunteered and some good stories about me. But they said they won’t fill out the recommendation form from colleges. They said if I clicked their letter with the empty school form, the school will accpet it! Is that so? I do meet some nurses where I volunteered, but it is random. They have their shifts, I have my shifts. I did not think about building connections with them.</p>

<p>Every school is different. Many of them will gladly accept the letter by mail for your application, or accept the letter as a pdf electronically. D had a good letter from her volunteering office, that she sent in separately from her on-line applications.</p>

<p>I know (based on being frustrated with my own kids’ tendency to rely on electronic communications like email and texts) that you may not want to pick up the phone and call schools, but it’s a good way to get information on how to complete your applications. They may also keep a record of your contacts with them, including phone calls which can be useful to show how much you really want to go to a particular school. Call and ask how to get that volunteer office letter considered as part of your applications. You’re not the first person to be in this situation. </p>

<p>Aside from medical practitioners you meet while volunteering, consider whether your family doctor knows you well enough to write a letter? Family dentist? Is a friend’s parent a doctor or nurse? How about a neighbor? You may find that you do know others in the medical field, who would be willing to help. If you can’t come up with another medical professional, think about the characteristics that it may take to be a good nurse. Do you have someone who can talk about what a caring person you are, or how well you work in teams? While perhaps not as strong as a medical professional’s recommendation, this type of recommendation might also help.</p>

<p>My kids old HS sent all their recommendations electronically and not on the school form - they had 2 teachers write recs that were sent to all the schools they applied to. This is perfectly acceptable.</p>