Why do the UCs have low graduation rates?

<p>Can someone tell me why do the UCs have such low graduation in four years rates? This is really bothering me since I plan on applying to the UCs. I want to make sure that I graduate in four years.</p>

<p>I'm not sure except what I do know from my kids is that:
a) The top tier schools (as well as the other UCs) are very competetive, especially in the sciences and technical fields, and often have "weeder" lower level classes that are difficult
b) Kids change majors several times which often adds classes
c) Kids are not willing to take classes at "off" times and especially on Fridays in order to fit everything in
d) Not studying hard enough and seeking help when needed.
e)With the exception of Cal (semester and Merced??), 10 weeks in a quarter system goes very fast.
f) The UC system in more theoretical supposedly and a more broad education than the state school system.</p>

<p>Good luck to you.</p>

<p>^But other schools probably have similar issues though. How will i know if i'll be able to graduate in 4 years?</p>

<p>Simple:</p>

<p>The UCs purposely accept a lot of low income kids (33% Pell Grantees at each campus) and the UCs give poor financial aid. Since low income kids need to work to support themselves (and sometimes their families), they take a lighter course load which means that they cannot graduate in four years.</p>

<p>Simple:
1. The UCs accept a large number of unprepared/unqualified students.
2. Overcrowding.</p>

<p>You will be able to graduate in 4 years if you are willing to work for it. Seriously, this honestly shouldn't affect you, unless you're planning on slacking in college, wasting 25k a year.</p>

<p>So let me get this straight. The UCs (especially UCB and UCLA) are some of the most prestigious schools in the US but they accept unqualified students?</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments you guys. I feel better knowing that it's up to the student whether or not he or she will be able to graduate in four years.</p>

<p>
[quote]
So let me get this straight. The UCs (especially UCB and UCLA) are some of the most prestigious schools in the US but they accept unqualified students?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>No. If you're unqualified, you cannot even apply.... there are exceptions though.</p>

<p>If you want to graduate in four years, you will. They are very strict on that and if you intend to stay longer, you will need a valid excuse. You cannot stay at Berkeley after 8 semesters without permission.</p>

<p>Also, double majors can also be granted an additional semester to finish their requirements if they are eligible.</p>

<p>The fact that you're qualified to apply to UCB and UCLA does not mean you're qualified to graduate in 4 years. Many regard UCB and UCLA as prestigious and difficult to gain admissions, and they are. But part of the admissions difficulty lies in the holistic admissions practice. No EC's, disadvantaged background, skin colors, athletic talents, leadership skills, thousands of hours of volunteer work etc. can earn you a passing grade if you're not academically qualified.
Mind you that the academic bar for non-science/engineering has already been set substantially lower.</p>