Why do we allow college admissions offices to shape and pass judgment on our children's character?

This is what I see in my part of Southern California too. My kid run for Student Member for her school district last year as a high school Junior. She was chosen as the alternate. My kid was happy with the results, and told me she knew this kid and was a great candidate. Out of curiosity I checked the student’s LinkedIn page. At age 16, it absolutely read like that of an extremely accomplished adult!

Had a similar experience with a kid from Brown. When my crew interviewed the kid with some basic data analysis question. Not only the kid had hard time answering the basic/entry level question but the reaction in general is: “err, why do you ask this kind of “low level” question?” you can outsource to overseas consulting firm for such a “tedious” work.

Instead of solving the problem, delegation because it is low level, and the candidate made it sounded as if he is ready to manage instead of getting hands dirty. :slight_smile:

Not to generalize for any specific school. Want to emphasize the importance of authentic ability. It is more important than just the names.

1 Like

But if the kid had been from URI or Providence, you likely wouldn’t be telling the story.

Kids have all sorts of reasons to be really bad in interviews, and many successful students lack social skills. It’s as individual as a fingerprint.

If you weren’t looking to generalize the school, why name it?

3 Likes

Nothing special. Just this candidate stood out from my memories as negative example which is similar to the post I am responding to. Strong candidates will have higher chances to get hired, and develop a career. Doesn’t matter what school. Period.

3 Likes