why does U of W keep their stats for admission vague?

I know it’s to shape the class and accept the best possible students. I know they use postponed to their advantage but seems they like the hype secrecy a little too much for my taste.

What stats are you talking about specifically?

CLASS PROFILE: FALL 2014
Applicants…30,464
Admits…14,481
Admit Rate…47.5%
Projected Enrollment…6,250
Middle 50% Range
GPA: 3.7–4.0
Class rank (reported by 53% of applicants):
84–97 percentile
ACT: 27–31
SAT: 1800–2070
Fall Projected Enrollment by Residency
Wisconsin/Minnesota…4,475
Out of State…1,383
International…392
Top Five U.S. States:
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, California, New York
Top Five Non-U.S. Countries:
China, India, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Thailand

my apologies, I found some of the information I was looking for but I’m still wondering about their average financial aid package given.

The average financial aid package doesn’t matter. All you need to do is use the net price calculator and voila!

What is your FAFSA EFC and state of residence?

IL. EFC#001611, thnx Madison85

I’m not sure what you mean by vague, but here’s some more data that might be of interest:

http://apir.wisc.edu/admissions/New_Freshmen_Applicants.pdf

Personally, I’d love to see historical numbers on number of applicants postponed and eventually either accepted or rejected. Not sure if that’s even relevant to compare past years to this one, but of all the stats, that’s the one that has me–and probably many others–curious right now. Anyone know if that exists?

Have not seen numbers from they do say from time to time the approx percent that get in off the postponed list. Used to about half but might be less now as apps have grown since then.

If that middle 50% ACT range holds up in the CDS when it’s published, that is a big change. It’s been 26-30 for many years. Ohio State bumped up to 27-31 a couple of years ago.

Can’t really be sure from the format that the range is for enrolled and not accepted though. I went back to the original document and still not positive.