Will a D+ affect my acceptance?

I am rising junior and I have a GPA of 3.944. I took 2 AP classes as a sophomore one of them being AP World. I had a sucky teacher and I ended with a B- in the class if you count the GPA boost I got an A-. I got a D+ in my Algebra 2 Honors class. I am going to redo Algebra 2 in the summer and plan to get an A. This will boost my GPA to 4.09. I heard that colleges look at specific grades more than GPA. I plan to apply to VT… Will the D+ affect my acceptance for VT? I am an A/B student. Math was just really hard for me this year and my time management skills sucked. Next year I am taking 4 AP classes and I am taking regular Pre-Calc…

Any Advices?

I expect it will kill chances for Engineering (but then again your overall plan for Math tells me you aren’t interested in Engineering). I would suggest you get that “A” over the summer, then address the D+ in your essays. If you apply to a non-math major, you may be OK, however your scores are boarderline. Good luck to you!!

I wouldn’t lose hope… I’m really interested in VT and I have two C’s on my transcript. Both of them are AP courses. One of them is from Sophomore year and the other being from Junior year. I would redo it, not apply for a competitive major, do ED maybe to increase your chances, and address your bad grade. I’m hoping there is a way I can show VT that those grades I got don’t define me.

From what I understand, at least in my DC’s NVA school system, if you take a course over in the summer that’s the only grade that shows up on your transcript. You may want to check in with your HS counselor on this.

as long as your gpa psats sats and sat 2s are all above average a low grade shouldn’t prevent you from getting in.