Will AP be better?

<p>So next year is the first year that my school is doing the IB diploma program and my class (2016) will be the first ones that can take the program. I've got a few questions:
1. Will colleges know that it was my school's first year of DP in my application and how will they know?
2. If I choose just to do the AP route because I know my school is not ready for the DP program will colleges understand or be more lenient about me choosing the "less rigorous" route because it was my school's first year? I plan to take 6 AP classes next year...would that be considered very rigorous or as rigorous as the Diploma program?
3. I do not want to take DP because I want to be in the Associated Student Body (leadership/student council) and that does not fit in my schedule of DP. I'm shooting to be ASB prez senior year, would colleges know that it didn't fit in my schedule and that's why I chose the ap route? Or would me being in ASB balance the fact that I did not choose DP?
3. Since my school is in transition, they have some AP classes eliminated to adapt to the DP system. Such as AP English Lang, AP English Lit, AP US History, AP Spanish, and all those courses are becoming two year HL courses. So if I do the AP route I would still have to take about 2 HL classes. Would that make me look like I couldn't handle the rigor of DP so chose only to be in it partially but not in for the program?
4. I'm really irritated with the college counselor at my school basically denouncing the whole AP program now that the school was approved for DP. He says that it will make us look way way way (no exaggeration here) better to colleges than AP students. Is this really true? Because many people on here have also said that IB is only good if you're coming from a school outside of the United States, which I'm not. What is the truth?
5. I've brought up this topic a few times on here and a couple of people have told me that my school is being extremely stupid for the way they are handling their transition. So should I switch schools to a full AP program school? However, in the school I want to switch to, I'm scared I will not get into the soccer team there because they are division 1 and my school is division 3. And I really want to play soccer. I also run track but I can get on that team assured. And plus the connections I have already made to get me high places (such as president) at the school I am already at has made me afraid that I won't be able to establish such connections at the other school in such little time (junior and senior year) and having to adjust to a different competition environment and the ranking system and such. Plus new friends. There are a lot of disadvantages and advantages.
6. DP is considered to have a liberal arts feel to prepare you for college where, like college, you are required to take a certain set of classes. AP, however, is very free in which you can choose the classes you want. I really want to build my own schedule but if DP makes me look better, than I will conform. So my question is should I savor the opportunity to choose my own classes while I have the chance OR should I take the opportunity to get used to the college feel?
7. So basically, what I'm asking is: are AP and DP equal? Can I choose either one under the circumstances I've stated above?</p>

<p>And, if it aids your answer, I'm looking into the top colleges and universities in the nation. </p>

<p>In short: Do AP! </p>

<p>Firstly, the fact that this will be the first year that your school is administering the IB is a big issue. The teachers will be inexperienced, the program will be disorganized, no one will know what’s going on half the time and therefore most of the students won’t be rewarded for their efforts. It WILL screw you over unless the teachers at your school have been teaching the IB beforehand. This on it’s own would instantly make me do AP over the IBDP.</p>

<p>College won’t won’t know this is the first year your school is offering IB and I highly doubt they’d be leniant towards you because of this. Doing IB in your case might actually screw your chances of getting into the college of your choice because the program isn’t fully established yet resulting in you getting lower grades than you otherwise would have gotten if you’d done AP. </p>

<p>6 AP courses is actually more rigorous than than doing the IB Diploma or is equally as rigorous since only HL classes are the equivalent of AP classes with the exception of some SL classes like maths which is equivalent to Calculus AB. You shouldn’t worry about this as I’m pretty sure that you’ll have taken the most rigorous AP schedule. </p>

<p>Becoming the ASB president is definitely very good for your college apps and I see no reason why adcoms would discriminate against you for going for that instead of doing the IBDP. Keep in mind, AP/IB are seen as equivalents by adcoms so they won’t favour you based on the fact that you’ve done IB instead of AP. That is such a common misconception - doing AP is just as rigorous as doing IB and college KNOW that! Ignore what your school’s counselor said it’s completely untrue! And if you didn’t know you’d get MUCH more credit by doing AP since all AP classes will qualify for credit (this obviously doesn’t apply to every college) where as only HL classes will get you credit if you do IB. </p>

<p>Taking a mix of IB and AP classes would be frowned upon at all, why should it be? You’ll be taking an extremely rigorous AP schedule (6 of them is CRAZY hard if you weren’t aware :p) in addition to several IB HL classes which are difficult, tedious and work intensive. College will definitely recognise the fact that you’ve pushed yourself to work really hard with that schedule of yours, regardless. </p>

<p>I think you shouldn’t move schools because clearly soccer is very important to you and it’s something you may not be able to continue doing. Also, the fact that you’ll have a much easier time getting leadership roles in your current school is a big bonus since colleges love to see applicants with leadership roles as well as long term commitment to ec’s. Looks like the disadvantages of moving schools outweigh the advantages so stay in your current school.</p>

<p>IB like I’ve said before is equal to AP and therefore IB won’t make you ‘look better’ be any means. Do AP since you prefer picking your own classes. Plus, the chances of you getting better grades is much higher since you’ll be doing the classes YOU enjoy and aren’t be forced into certain classes like you would be in IB. < Also keep in mind that IB is usually a GPA killer so it might significantly lower your chances at top tier universities because they expect students to have a high GPA as well as a rigorous course load. Trust me, if you take 6 AP classes next year and do well you’ll definitely have proven to adcoms that you are hardworking and are worthy of being considered for acceptance. </p>

<p>But I feel like it’s only fair to mention the advantages of doing IB. The core requirements especially the EE will be a major advantage when it comes to college as you won’t feel intimidated when you are asked to hand in long essays as you’ll have already done one before. Similarily, the critical thinking approach of the IB will be much better for college than AP which is more rote memorisation. Also, IB will definitely hone your essay writing skills as everything in the program revolves around writing essays - essay writing is obviously a very important life skill. You’ll also probably develop as a student much more by doing IB and you’ll have developed excellent time management skills by the time you get to college. This will give you a leg up from other students as you’ll already know how to get all your work done efficiently and will know how to prioritise etc. Thus, IB is better preparation for college. There is also the added bonus of it being internationally recognised (more so than AP anyway) and should you ever decide to go abroad you’ll have a much easier time applying with IB since it’s more recognised. </p>

<p>Hope I helped! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Go with AP since your IB Program isn’t fully established.</p>

<p>It sounds like in your situation AP or a mix of AP/IB and staying in your current school would be best for you. I am a former IB teacher, IB coordinator, and 2 time IB parent. You may not know yet where you want to go to college, but they are the best source if information. E-mail admissions. Look on college websites, they post policies for AP and IB credit and often state how they look at them in the admissions process. I had a number of students tell me “it doesn’t matter how I do on the IB exams because college xyz doesn’t give credit for IB” and they base this on what another student or family member said. When I made them look it up online they were surprised. There are some states that require all state schools to give credit for IB. There are some schools that give credit for SL courses if you are a full diploma candidate. There are some schools that actually give college credit for the extended essay and/or CAS. My point is don’t take anyone’s word, even your college counselor, for which route is best for for you to get college acceptances and credit. Go to the source. And I too would be leery of a new IB program. It takes a while to build a successful one. </p>

<p>I agree with most of what pink997 said. When comparing IB and AP a lot of people say that IB is harder when in reality they mean it is more work. To IB the amount of time you spend doing work for the program is really more important than whether or not you learn the material. College admissions officers also know this dirty little secret: IB and AP are equal because both groups of kids will succeed in college (in fact I think AP should be considered as “better” because it is an actual simulation of a college course and therefore should be a better predictor of college success, but that’s just me). If you take 6 APs you will probably have a more rigorous course and learn more information than a full diploma candidate. Also, coming from teachers who have taught both programs: AP tests are considered harder across the board and AP students usually outperform IB students at my school.</p>

<p>I disagree with the statement that IB prepares you more for college. The only thing I will admit is that time management will be drilled into you as an IB student, but if you are doing 6 APs it’s not like you’re slaking off all the time, you just don’t have to worry about an EE and CAS on top of your classes. I also disagree with the fact that you become a better critical thinker in IB. The point here is that many people say that AP is rote memorization and that may be true for the student who barely passes with a three or for the easier courses intended for freshmen, but once you get into AP chem and other high level course like APUSH and AP Lit rote memorization is almost useless if you want a 4/5. Writing essays is great, but most people rarely use that skill once in college. The most writing I will have to do for my major (Engineering) is basically labs and other reports. One last thing, the AP classes are usually the equivalent of the liberal arts classes you would take in college so AP beats IB in that regard hands down.</p>

<p>Basically, I see it as 4 AP courses through high school is weaker than the DP, but 10-12 throughout high school is just as strong if not stronger than IB.</p>

<p>No In short AP would not be better :D</p>

<p>Also, if you want colleges to know numbers like one through three, just write it in the sections where colleges ask “is there anything else we should know about you?”. But I reccomend IB,even if ur school just starts it, it’s a very good curriculum outline.</p>

<p>Definitely agree with pink997. Your GPA in AP classes will be safer than in IB.</p>