Will I get into Purdue?

I know Purdue is a lot easier in state and for majors that aren’t CS or Engineering, but my ECs and the fact that I might have no rec letter are leaving me with some doubts. I’m also considering adding AP Microeconomics to my second semester for some extra beef in course rigor.

Demographics: Asian Male, Indiana Resident, first-gen college student

Intended Major: Applied Math

GPA: 3.98 W, 3.82 UW,

Coursework: 4 honors(in math) and 3 APs(Physics 1&2, Calc AB),
*only 9 ppl take Physics 2 and almost nobody takes BC calc because AB is a prerequesite at my school for some context.

SAT: 1460(700 RW, 760 Math)

Hooks: aunt and uncle graduated from Purdue, sister attends. I’ve also tried joining the mailing list for demonstrated interest. I’ve also visited.

ECs:

• KFC team member(12)
  • Science Olympiad team(12)

Look at the user-interactive Purdue Data Digest, here: https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/ under “Applications, Admits, and Matriculations” and also under “New First-Time Beginner Profile”. There may be some useful information for you there.

Also, the Common Data Set for Purdue indicates in Section C7 that “Alumni/ae relation” is not considered as an admissions factor for undergraduate applicants.

Does your high school have Naviance? Does your high school guidance counselor have any insights about admission statistics from your high school?

In-state, non-Engineering/CS, I would say you have a good chance of being admitted.

3 Likes

Alumni relation has to mean something otherwise they wouldn’t ask for it. Maybe towards the likelihood I one would attend? Also my school uses parchment

No it doesn’t.

They ask for a phone number. I doubt that impacts admission.

If they ask for it, there are several reasons other than admission consideration – development purposes, for example. Assume that the CDS is correct in what it tells you about the admission factors considered by Purdue.

I am not familiar with Parchment; does it give you information on how many students from your high school have been admitted in the past, and with what GPAs and test scores? Naviance has something called a “scattergram” which plots GPA vs. test score for students who apply to a school, and further indicates whether each data point represents a student who was admitted or not. If Parchment has something similar, you have a visual means of estimating (albeit crudely) your likelihood for admission, all other things being equal.

I would say you have a good chance also.
I would definitely give it a good try.
Get your app in early and maybe/do apply for the honors college.

I know it’s quite common for students from my high school to go to Purdue. Parchment does have the scatter plot diagram you described but nothing specific to my high school.

you have an excellent chance of getting in. First gen status is 2nd in importantance, behind grades, test score, and rigor of courswork.
See Common data set- table C7

Graduation rates of first gen is also now a variable in US news Rankings…so its very important to colleges in moving up or keeping up with the rankings.
Best of luck!