Will top Colleges like MIT and HYPS care if I start taking AP’s Junior-Senior year

OP- you sound terrific.

MIT does not care that you are planning to study CS. There is both a core curriculum which every single undergrad takes (which covers the foundational courses in math, bio, chem, physics) AND what are called “HASS” requirements-- humanities, arts and social sciences-- you get to choose how to fulfill your HASS requirements although there are some restrictions- the website has more detail.

Anyway, I bring this up because many HS kids assume that doubling down on science courses is what they ought to be doing. Don’t take a dual enrollment college level physics class before you’ve covered off the basic HS curriculum- foreign language, literature, social studies, etc.

There are going to be colleges out there that want you on their campus and will be affordable. Take a rigorous but manageable load next year (meaning- hard work but won’t burn you out by October) and if money is tight at home- there is no EC better than a job!

6 Likes

I think that everyone has answered the question well. It all comes down to your guidance counselor checking the box that you took a rigorous schedule from the courses offered at your school. The Admissions office will look at this as well. The question I do not see addressed is what are you doing to stand out aka your hook? Entering state, national competitions, interning, coauthoring papers? This is the other crucial component of HYP and MIT. This cycle so many kids with 4.0 1600 or 36 did not get in and I would say it was because they only focused on the academic aspect.

1 Like

Recommendation forms also ask the counselor for an overall ranking relative to other students whom the counselor has encountered.

Salesforce (bottom of page 2)

true but that is the same question asked differently. Did you take the tough classes and do well in them

Every cycle.

No college, MIT or otherwise, expects high schoolers to coauthor papers. For kids that are getting “published”, I’d be very surprised if it was anything other than a pay to play opportunity. It can take years for a paper to be published. My own child is a post grad and is currently working on a paper that’s been in progress since 2020.

Kids can work, volunteer, engage in meaningful ways within the high school, community, even at home. They do not have to have internships and publish papers. Jobs are good, caring for younger siblings, giving time to the church or animal shelter are all good things to put on applications. It’s genuine interest that can make the difference.

Hooks are almost always things that can’t be created. The rare examples are the Malala’s and David Hogg’s of the world. Most hooked students are athletes, URM, legacy (less so), and development cases. For all others, it’s being exceptional in some other way.

My honest opinion is that being exceptional needs to start before junior year. These colleges are looking for high academic achievement and sustained impact throughout high school, not just junior year. OP will have good choices, but they may not be Harvard or MIT. I suspect that OP might burn out if the goal is Harvard or bust.

8 Likes

I’m a rising junior :slight_smile: , and Im happy to hear that. I’ll try my hardest to get NMF on the PSAT.

I plan on entering Hackathons, Coding events, etc.

I have also signed up for the Harvard crimson global essay competition.

I have to suggest that you don’t overload with things!

5 Likes

Yep! I’m definitely cutting down on the AP’s.

1 Like

At some point there is a diminishing return from additional AP classes. Taking 9 will not be valued 50% higher than having taken 6. So don’t chase these counts.

Balancing out AP classes to cover the core areas, adapted to your primary interests, will likely be enough for your guidance counselor to (correctly) state that you took a “most rigorous” course load. Once at that plateau, there is no extra “overkill” checkbox.

It’s also not uncommon for high schools to offer very few AP classes until Junior year - whether by “policy”, or simply by how they structure their requirements, such as prerequisite honors classes, etc. So again, you don’t need to compensate at all cost.

It’s more important to succeed with great grades (with good AP scores as a bonus) overall, than to maximize the number of AP classes for two years but struggling to keep up.

3 Likes

This is great advice.

Be rigorous but no need to go overboard.

Straight from a MIT AO during a recruiting conversation:

“We expect a student to take the most rigorous core courses available to them.”
So, if there are limited AP classes available freshman and sophomore years, no problem as long as you are taking the best of what is available. If the choice is between AP Calc BC and AP Stats you are expected to take AP Calc BC, you are not expected to double up. Make sure that you excel. Quantity will not be a substitute for quality if an overload causes grades to drop.

2 Likes

Not to be a Negative Nelly, I don’t want you to get too hung up on MIT, HYPS, etc. The odds are against you, as they are most people.

The acceptance rate is somewhere in the 7% range. The math says there is a 93% you won’t get in.

You can’t AP or club yourself in. Please be you, apply to reaches, matches, and safeties and be happy for acceptances you receive. And make the most of them.

9 Likes

Top colleges like MIT and HYPS consider the rigor of coursework in their admissions process. Starting to take AP classes in your junior and senior years can demonstrate your commitment to academic rigor, even if you didn’t have the opportunity to take them earlier. However, colleges evaluate applicants holistically, taking into account various factors such as extracurricular activities, essays, and personal qualities. It’s important to excel in your current coursework and showcase your passion for your intended major. Admission is a multifaceted process, and each applicant is evaluated individually.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.