Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

There wouldn’t be much cash left over for the obligatory bag of Doritos while charging your Tesla. Incentive enough for me! The added benefit of not dilly-dallying at the SuperChargers is that I can get back on the road to resume my awful driving! :innocent:

1 Like

That is a seriously ugly car.

The VW ID Buzz is already out in Europe. Due in the US next year.

I am all for doing what works for you. If stopping every few hours is what works for you (for whatever reason), have at it. But I don’t think it follows that is what everyone else should do. In terms of being a safe driver, unless being a EV driver results in less than zero accidents (which is impossible), I am there in terms of being a safe driver (without stopping every few hours) with 4 decades of driving.

But for me in terms of the question in this thread, we drive cars into the ground. 2 current vehicles have (knock on wood) a lot of life in them. We will see what the vehicle landscape looks like at that point (but its several years into the future for one and almost another decade for the other). Expect there will be a lot of changes by then. So we shall see. But at the end of the day, expect we will buy vehicles that work for us and how we live/drive.

And the idea that I have to own a given vehicle to know what works for us seems crazy to me. Presumably everyone on this site has never owned any given number of products. Maybe you should buy all of them to determine that they don’t work for you. Though as Steven Wright said, you can’t have everything; where would you put it? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

But is it so ugly that it is beautiful?

I sort of like it. I have no idea what the options are for recharging around here (other than the obvious slow recharge in the 110 outlet in our garage).

I assume you are talking about what I said upthread?

I stand by it. Some folks on this thread do not know what they are talking about with regard to EVs. It’s not that you need to own a given vehicle to know what works for you, but that people who have no experience with EVs —haven’t even sat in one or test driven one — are spreading misinformation about what it is like to own one. Seems like people who do actually own one might have better info on what’s it’s like to own and drive one than people who don’t.

If you were considering a Toyota Camry and had a friend who drove a Camry, you might ask them about their experience with the Camry and then you might go to the dealer and take it for a test drive, right? It’s a logical thing to do.

Or would you listen to your neighbor who hates all Toyotas for no discernible reason and has never owned or even test driven one?

Me — I’d ask the person who has some experience rather than relying on the unfounded opinion of someone with a bias against them. And then I’d think about how a Camry might fit into my life and if I was still interested I’d go to the dealership and take a look at one in person and take a test drive. But, y’know, that’s how I roll. I’d probably also read up on safety and reliability too. I like to do research, but that’s just me.

3 Likes

I think it’s unreasonable to say that people who have varying opinions are “spreading misinformation” Happens a lot these days.
Folks, everyone is entitled to their opinion and to process information as they see fit. On any thread, if you see info which is not correct, then correct it, perhaps with a link? Works great. Works esp well if the link isn’t to a source that presents one side of an issue.
I don’t drive an EV, might consider a hybrid and am pretty happy with my gas vehicle. Reading about EV’s and their pluses ( as I have) makes me realize they have come a long way. Still not going to buy one but interesting data and opinions. I had never thought of lots of factors. I’m sure those who believe others are spreading “misinformation” perhaps need to look at expanding and learning from what others might find as barriers to entry or acceptance of these new technologies. And if they don’t want to consider other opinions, that’s fine too. Just maybe refrain from labelling differences as misinformation.

3 Likes

We’re grandfathered into free Tesla Supercharging, so if we pull a “redneck punk” they have no way to charge us. We only use one Supercharger near S’s house in LA, that is huge and we’ve never seen full. Most people seem to be doing daily charging, stay with the car and move on quickly. May be busier during the before or after work hours, but we avoid those times anyway.

We have found the charge takes longer now that the car is older. Not noticeable at home as we charge overnight, but have seen it at the Supercharger.

3 Likes

Not specifically. Have seen several people in this thread say something to the effect of “those who do not like/don’t want to buy EVs or who don’t view EVs as working for their particular circumstances” don’t own one and that is the reason. As if just owning one would open their minds and they would see how wrong they are. I just view that as a weak argument. And I am making no judgment about misinformation (on either side of the issue). I have stated my view. Multiple times now. EVs don’t currently work for us. Likely will in the future. And a big reason for that as of today is we are years away from getting a new vehicle. And I get it that with higher skewed incomes on this site, running cars into the ground isn’t as common here. And more people here will buy a car just because. But people are different.

4 Likes

I definitely don’t have time to read this long thread, but yes, we will be getting an EV and/or a hybrid as our next vehicles. I’d have said no to EV, but then my oldest bought one, so we’ve seen it - and longer distance travel with it - in action.

We’d already have a Ford F150 Lightning if they weren’t sold out for something like 3 years. We sold our worn out (aka dead) 1997 Ford F150 recently and thought we’d replace it. Now we’ve decided we’ll rent a truck if we need one instead.

Hybrids are appealing to not be solely EV, but again, my son’s experience has been so good that I think we’d go that direction if we were buying and decent ones were actually available right now.

I’m ready to be done pumping gas. Plugging in is easy - plus we like the idea of a built in generator.

9 Likes

Thanks to the person that linked the subreddit. There are quite a few threads there about road trips and folks mention the good and the bad of the experience. Great place to read a diverse set of experiences.

3 Likes

That was me. You’re welcome.

Reading about actual experience is way better than conjecture.

3 Likes

If you want to switch teams the Chevy Silverado pickup should be out in fall 2023. First-Ever Silverado EV: Electric Truck | Chevrolet
The Blazer EV is coming out soon too, next summer. The First-Ever Blazer EV: Electric SUV | Chevrolet
The Hummer Pickup is out now, but not sure about wait times on it. And the Rivian is out too. I’ve seen one out in the wild.

Glad your son is enjoying his vehicle. What kind of EV does he have?

1 Like

I seriously doubt H would drive anything but a Ford for his truck. Definitely not a Chevy. He’s loved his Fords.

The two vehicles we have now are both Ford Escapes. He uses one of them for work. Both can tow a bit - helpful for his boat!

2 Likes

Yeah, I figured it would be hard for a Ford person to switch over to Chevy!

1 Like

Be careful. The one time my husband overstayed his welcome, they sent him an email saying that he is forgiven once, but supercharging will not happen if he overstays his welcome again unless he enters his credit card info. :slight_smile:

Thanks BB. We do try to be solid citizens :grinning: (And there’s not much to do in that area anyway.)

1 Like

Unfortunately for us, the closest Supercharger is “closely associated” with a fun, inexpensive pub. :slight_smile: There, you want to charge sloooowly. :laughing:

1 Like

Not everything is an “opinion.”

My brother is the Senior Vice President of Technology for a global semiconductor company that specializes in the automotive space. His primary focus is improving the reliability of autonomous driving systems, BUT, he also oversees the business unit tasked with innovations targeting increased EV range. There likely isn’t a luxury EV he hasn’t driven. He told me he’d buy a Porsche Taycan GTS in a heartbeat, but would never pull the trigger on any EV’s until cold weather battery performance improves dramatically. Am I allowed to listen to him?

8 Likes