Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

3-4 years ago I decided that I am never buying an ICE car again. I bought a Tesla last year and I love it. I have done long (>900 miles) trips and didn’t have any issues.

My wife’s car will have to be replaced in few years, and it will be EV as well.

4 Likes

When my Acura RDX needs to be replaced we will probably look at some EV’s to see if it makes sense for us to get one as an around town car.

We drive my H’s 2018 Toyota Tundra 4WD on all of our long ski trips in the winter so until they make something similar to it in an EV truck we won’t be replacing it. We normally take 4 or more road trips to ski that range from 500 miles to 3500 miles of driving each trip.

They do make EV pick up trucks right now.

1 Like

So if someone doesn’t want one or thinks they aren’t ready for one yet, its fearmongering? That’s a bit extreme.

Sorry, but if I’m taking a long road trip, I don’t want to have to design my route and stops based on where there are charging stations. I have yet to see charging stations in hotel parking lots where I have stayed which means when I get to my location at the end of the long drive, instead of relaxing for the night, I have to go out somewhere to find a charging station and then sit there with the car while it recharges.

I have started to see charging stations at highway rest areas but not all highway rest areas. I’ve seen them in MA and ME, but we just circled through the south and I don’t recall seeing any at rest areas in TN, VA, or WV. Maybe they are there, but you have to really look for them. Its not like a gas station where all you have to do is get off any exit.

11 Likes

Yes. Ford has the F150 Lightning and Rivian has an electronic truck. Several more coming soon.

They usually are right off the exits but they intentionally usually are placed where you can walk into someplace to do something for the 20 minutes they are charging — so a restaurant, store, etc. “Looking” for something by driving around or randomly getting off an exit is an increasingly antiquated concept. Most people use nav apps for road trips to unfamiliar destinations and its a click of a couple buttons to have it suggest a charging waypoint. But if someone wants to be old school, that’s certainly their right. Some people still like roll up windows too.

4 Likes

we have a plug-in hybrid and are very happy with it. On longer trips it is a gas car (and gets great mileage), but for around town the 30 mile or so range is perfect. And we didn’t need to get a 220V charging outlet installed in the garage since the battery charges in a few hours overnite.

3 Likes

Sorry, for the word choice. Not debating semantics. Any synonym for disagree will suffice. :smiley:

2 Likes

I guess I’m old school then, because that’s how we find gas stations. We need gas, we see the signs of what stations are at the next exit and get off. I’m guessing an awful lot of people do it that way. I don’t need an app to find a gas station. I guess it sounds like you do need an app to find charging station so there is another strike against it.

2 Likes

How’s the range during the winter months, when the daytime temperatures are well below freezing?

H knows a lot about the EV trucks since he knows quite a few people here in Southern California that work for Rivian. I’m sure that when the time comes to buy our next road trip truck we will look at all the trucks both non EV and EV that are available then.

Tesla figured out years ago that it is great marketing for them (in terms of “this car can do road trips”) when the cars have fast charging and navigation built in, Tesla has its own charging network that was well developed years before others in the US, and the navigation in the cars automatically routes to charging if the remaining range is not enough to get to the destination.

These days, everyone else is catching up in this respect, but it was not that long ago that third party fast chargers were not so fast and not that reliable, or depended on third party apps to find, etc…

1 Like

Our 2017 SUV is a hybrid and, like @DrGoogle123, DH has a tiny sporty stick convertible gas sipper that he loves to tool around in. We drive our cars til they die, so we probably won’t be in the market again until 2030-something barring some disaster. I’m hoping by that time, there’ll be cold fusion powered flying cars and hoverboards. Like they promise in the movies. Otherwise, we’ll go all electric with our next car.

5 Likes

I am definitely not buying an electric car.

1 Like

No need for an app. Tesla displays location of chargers (Super, destination, and others) on the map on the console screen. With Superchargers, it even shows how many charge ports are available IRT.

8 Likes

The charging stations are going to have become a heckuva lot faster, because right now, you’ll have to get in line to plug-in many places around here.

I know of a local shopping center, where they have charging/parking attendants or monitors or bouncers or whatever they call them to keep the line of charging Teslas orderly. I witnessed a fight once, where a Tesla owner cut the line.

And I would happily helped the charging attendent/bouncer kick the cutting Tesla owner out of line, if he needed my help. :smile:

2 Likes

Are these charging stations free or do you pay a fee? Are they only for Teslas or any EV?

We are a one car family and do lots of long distance driving, so charging stations will need to get much faster and plentiful before we make the move.

5 Likes

Or no side windows at all. :wink:

Most charging stations charge a fee based on the amount of electricity drawn, although some are free to entice business to nearby restaurants, hotels, etc… The cost of electricity, converted to cost per mile, is usually less than for most gasoline vehicles.

Charging stations typically come in the following forms:

• Fast charging:
    • Tesla (150-250 kW)
    • CCS1 (24-350 kW)
    • CHAdeMO (usually 50 kW)
  • Level 2 charging (usually 7-11 kW, also common for home charging with 240V, and the usual type for hotels and the like):
    • Tesla
    • J1772

Most non-Tesla electric cars in the US have J1772 and (if they have fast charging) CCS1. Nissan Leafs have J1772 and CHAdeMO. For level 2 charging, Tesla and J1772 adapters for each other exist. For fast charging, Tesla says that it will add CCS1 to its charging stations.

2 Likes