Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

FWIW, I saw a Tesla Model S on a tow truck this morning walking the doggie. Not on fire though. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey, our X traveled on a tow truck recently, too! Wasn’t on fire. :laughing: used the roadside assistance included with our chichi car insurance policy. The tire went flat… of course we could have slowly driven on it to the tire shop, but we just got a new set of tires, so did not want to chance it. Those tires weren’t cheap!

1 Like

And the wheel is probably more than the value of the 4 new tires. I wouldn’t drive on a flat, if at all possible (like you’re in the middle of a freeway for example). It’ll likely ruin the wheel (and of course the tire too).

I know someone who replaced the wheel on his Tesla Model S and the one wheel was $2,100 at the time.

The X comes with (and requires replacement) run-flat tires. They apparently can survive a 20-30 mile ride at slower speeds without damage to the tire or the wheel. You more than likely know this, but for those who don’t, here is the description:

We just did not want to test our luck, so the X hitched a piggyback ride to Schwab. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have just been going through this analysis in buying a new car after moving to southern France. We initially planned to buy one hybrid and one electric, with the idea that we could use the hybrid for longer trips and the electric for daily purposes more locally. The hybrid idea did not work out too well. There are very few true hybrids like what we were used to in Japan, at least on the used-car market, and we realized that (1) so-called “mild hybrids” don’t really accomplish much from an environmental perspective, and (2) plug-in hybrids are rather heavy, which affects car handling. Handling is really important with the narrow winding roads we drive on, so we ended up surprising ourselves by buying a car with a regular gas engine. Second car will still be electric, and we are putting a charging point in our garage. Maybe a Fiat Abarth?

Edited to add: Sorry, this was meant to be a general reply to the thread, not a specific reply to @BunsenBurner

1 Like

Can a person not change a tire on a Tesla? Do Teslas come with a spare tire?

A person can change a tire on a Tesla - if a tire is available :slight_smile: . Teslas (and many newer cars) do not come with a spare tire; tires on X are not rotatable- hence requiring run-flats (equivalent of driving on a donut).

2 Likes

My daughter and I both just bought Volvo plug in hybrids and really love them. We do mostly city driving I think we have both filled our cars up once since we bought them about 2 months ago and still have 1/2 a tank left. My daughter drives about 30 miles a day.

1 Like

I love that car…but it’s a little out of my price range…

I joked that my daughter doesn’t know how to pump gas and is going to have to call her dad to come pump gas for her.

1 Like

Does she live in New Jersey or Oregon?

1 Like

No we live in DC.

@WDCParent i think that was a sort of tongue and cheek comment. In Oregon and NJ…it’s full serve at the gas stations…IOW…an attendant pumps your gas!

1 Like

It is full serve in my town in Massachusetts.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t realize other towns in MA town were still full-serve only! It baffled me when I moved here from the Midwest a few years ago. (Although with much acrimony the select board did change our bylaws to allow self-serve in the past year or so.)

It is so silly, except on freezing cold days when I’m nice and warm in my truck. :wink:

Any experience with an electric Mini?

A review of 2 EVs:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/edmunds-ford-mustang-mach-e-vs-hyundai-ioniq-5/

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @BunsenBurner . The Ionic is under consideration. I haven’t driven a rear wheel drive car in over 30 years!

Poor range, but they’re cute.