Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Better turn off that mobile phone…

1 Like

Agreed! I rarely use my cell phone. Prefer my landline.

Sounds kind of similar to the device proposed by Michigan in the article I linked, though the article was raising it as a privacy concern.

No.

From the article it sounds like this is due to failed start-ups. Read the same article about biking sharing a couple years back – with pics of mountains of abandoned bikes. Same reason – China is full of risky start-ups that abandon their assets when they go under, but like the abandon half built buildings despite taking all the deposits from the future tenants.

1 Like

Probably though I didn’t read the article. In Michigan is it required? Virginia it’s completely voluntary. You only get it if you want to reduce your fee.

1 Like

It sounds like Michigan is still in the initial stages of considering such a system.

2 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/04/cars/mercedes-electric-vehicle-tesla-range-intl-hnk/index.html

4 Likes

Is there a projected cost for that Mercedes EV??

1 Like

Meh. We’ll see. I think all the car companies have copied Tesla’s playbook to announce things way, way before they are real and not sweat it if some of the promises, whether it is timing, range or other features, doesn’t pan out in the end. Better to get attention with all the hype then scale back what they deliver in 4 years.

Most people aren’t planning vehicle purchases years out. At the rate it takes these announced EVs to reach customers at production scale, it is more relevant to people’s car purchase after whatever their next one is.

Don’t blame the messenger. Just posting what I saw for those who might consider this.

Have a Tesla, like the car but not a current Tesla fan, but I will not touch a Mercedes with a long pole. We will be waiting out for Lexus/Toyota to get their &$*% together to produce a decent EV. One thing for sure… not going back to an ICE car. Tired of nagging Mr. to take the old truck in for a timing belt$$$ work. :laughing:

ETA: EVs are on the cusp of crossing the chasm. Remember microwave ovens? :wink:

4 Likes

Also have a Tesla. Fantastic piece of technology and a joy to drive. Tesla falls short as a car manufacturer though IMO. Been driving BMW and Lexus since 2002. Tesla fit and finish a step below. The rubberized coating over the yoke is peeling off in areas, probably from the heat and sunlight. Doors don’t close shut as readily. Some features seem like they just want to be different than practical. The yoke does create better visibility to the instrument panel, but I’d rather have the heads-up display for navigation rather than have to look down at the panel and take my eyes off the road immediately ahead. Prefer the warning light on the side mirrors for blind spots vs looking at the panel or the camera. Finally the swipe to move forward or reverse vs a mechanical set is not great. I have many times mis-swiped and started to move in the wrong direction. Recipe for minor fender benders in tight parking situations. Definitely going to look at the BMW EV when the current Tesla lease ends.

1 Like

We have an older X with a real leather-covered steering wheel and real levers. If what you’re describing is being put into newer versions, one more reason not to buy another Tesla.

OP here again. We have added another thought to our EV possible purchase. DH says we should consider leasing because the EV technology is changing and we might want something different in three years. It’s a thought.

We also might also need to buy a car this week. Stay tuned on that one!!

3 Likes

We chose to lease because of that. Battery technology is getting better all the time.

2 Likes

And there are more options we might like better that are going to happen.

This seems like a really good reason not to buy an electric car.

I always buy ICE cars, and keep them for hundreds of thousands of miles.

3 Likes

I’m actually saw a hybrid Cross trek this week that I liked a lot. But I have to wait to see what the dealership and manufacturer are going to do about my current car…which just got towed to the dealership.

2 Likes

Leasing an EV is also a way for some to capture the federal tax credit, as some manufacturers are rolling it into the lease. This could make sense for those who would be locked out due to income limits, as those limits can sometimes be avoided with leasing.

Still, the extra costs of leasing and inflated money factor from a lot of these manufacturers probably means that buying with cash is the best financial move for most. You’re paying the depreciation whether you buy or lease. I could see the argument that leasing limits downside risk though.

My view is that car technology will always be improving. ICE cars today are significantly better in terms of safety, driver assistance, technology, etc than they were ten years ago. Increased reliance on screens and chips and software related to the driving experience is making cars more like TVs, computers, phones in the sense that something better is always just around the corner. Not sure that’s an argument for leasing.

Increased EV range beyond the 250ish+ range of current models won’t be a game changer for the vast majority of drivers so likely won’t have an outsized effect on the used market for today’s EVs.

1 Like

I think leasing could make sense, but we are pay cash up front folks. Haven’t had a car payment in decades. Still love our Chevy Bolt, but if you are not looking for a budget option there is newer tech out there that is really good. I saw a Polestar the other day. Nice looking car. The Bolt is the best bargain EV out there right now, though.

If you want to see a variety of cars besides Teslas and talk to real folks about them go hang out for 30 minutes or so at an Electrify America charging station. EA stations are at a lot of Walmarts but we were just at a Sheetz gas station one where I saw the Polestar. Generally speaking EV owners at the charging stations are happy to talk. I mean I wouldn’t knock on someone’s door or anything, but they will often just be chatting with other EV owners about their cars.

1 Like

Seems like a good reason for you. But then your mind is already made up.

As polite person explained, the big advantage of a lease for electric right now is savings, because of rolled in incentives unavailable via purchase. Of course a lease may not make sense for a salesperson who puts on tons of miles. But the much lower operating cost might. But not for you. Because your mind is made up.

2 Likes