Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Or more accurately, FJ Cruisers remind car aficionados of the FJ40:

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I like it, but I’ll wait to see it on the dealer lot. Toyota is also coming out with a new Land Cruiser, which is smaller too.

Seems like Toyota ,while late to the EV game, is finally getting into the game.

2 Likes

That boxy thing has no style to my eyes.

They’ll sell like hotcakes.

The FJ Cruiser that GKUnion owns, was last produced in 2014, but well-kept low mileage FJ’s are selling for MSRP and usually much more. Last year, one FJ Cruiser with just 250 miles, sold for $108,000. I think they sold for about $30,000-$35,000 originally.

Enthusiasts need only apply. Young folks will love them.

4 Likes

I gave my first 2007 FJ to LEO son back in 2018. He’s still driving it, but he’s modified it a bit. I bought my current 2007 FJ(not Voodoo Blue @ucbalumnus :wink:) that same year with 92k on the odometer. That was just prior to the prices going crazy. I could easily sell it today for what I paid for it 5 years ago. My younger son keeps angling for my truck. He might get it if my FIL ever decides to sell me his 2013 FJ.

@jym626 My truck’s 0-60mph time can be measured by a sundial. It’s heavy, boxy and slow, but it cruises at 80mph just like most cars. The gas is expensive because it gets horrible mileage and needs 92 octane.

Anyone at Burning Man with an FJ drove home and watched the coverage on the news. :grin:

Now that you’ve seen a photo of this truck you’ll start to notice them more on the roads. From 2007-2014 only 230,000 were sold in the US. That’s roughly the number of Jeep Wranglers produced each year.

3 Likes

I’ll assume we’re done extolling the FJ virtues.

2 Likes

Passed a Lucid Air on the bridge yesterday and was not impressed with its looks. Finally saw a Lexus EV parked in the mall’s garage. It looked promising: it did not have that ugly bug catching grill!

1 Like

At the hotel we stayed at in Maine a few weeks ago a guest had a Rivian SUV. It looked nice, but those headlights….no thank you.

Totally agree about Rivian headlights! Ugly with a capital “U”!

BMW is not far behind in ugliness contest. The grill makes its EV look like a beaver :beaver:. :laughing:

D2 has a good friend that works for Rivian. We saw her a few weeks ago and H asked her if she has suggested to anyone that they change the headlights!

2 Likes

I also don’t have any bare metal showing to oxidize.

The Rivian is okay, but what’s really really really ugly is that Tesla Cybertruck. I mean I don’t think I have ever seen an uglier vehicle in my life.

3 Likes

Yes!!! It looks like a roadkill armadillo.

1 Like

I doubt it does. Because most EV owners didn’t get them for the environmental impact. They got them because they are fun to drive and recharge in their garages.

To each their own. To me the Rivian R1S (the SUV version) is is by a massive margin the most attractive EV on the market. It’s the only one that actually looks like an SUV (other than the Hummer, sort of). The height, proportions, boxy shape, etc., are all great. The colors are nice. If it didn’t exist, I probably would have settled by now for one of the “fake SUV / tall sedans” that the other manufacturers claim are EV SUVs.

Other than the lizard :lizard: eyes for headlights and the annoying light strips, I agree that it looks fine. But the lights are a deal killer for me :laughing: Just like the Lexus’ ugly grill was back in the day. And no Beavemer will be parked in our garage - at least not until that beaver face is gone.

1 Like

They don’t bother me. But even fi they did I wouldn’t care because appearance is near the bottom of my vehicle priorities. I’m team function over form.

I don’t think that’s true. Certainly not true in our case. We definitely bought our first EV for the environmental benefits. Before that we ran biodiesel in our vehicles for the same reason, but EVs are better. Do you have a link to anything to back up your assertion?

I did a quick search and found this from the Pew Research Center:

Among those who would consider purchasing an EV, about seven-in-ten say helping the environment (72%) and saving money on gas (70%) are major reasons why. A small share (12%) cite keeping up with the latest trends in vehicles as a major reason.

2 Likes

The ford f150 truck bed is aluminum

1 Like