Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

I agree. And there is also nothing quite like traveling by horseback.

Fact is, less than 2% of the autos sold in the US each year are equipped with manual transmissions. Collectors and enthusiasts may continue to buy them, but that’s it. For the vast majority of drivers, EVs offer the thrill and performance of a much quicker car (for a similar or much lower price), and with regen braking and fancy graphics, the gamification of efficiency is surprisingly enjoyable.

And for the performance enthusiast . . .

1 Like

And that would be me. I’m in that 2% for manual transmissions. Describes me to a T. Autos can be art to me. So far no art in the EV realm. In production at least.

Never rode horseback, but that doesn’t look fun to me.

With modern car “nanny devices,” complicated electronics, lack of privacy, weird whirling sounds, tire noise, screen-controlled everything equals no fun, no thrills and boredom.

1 Like

Tesla Plaid top speed = 216 mph

Lucid Sapphire top speed = 235 mph

Bugatti Chiron top speed = 304 mph

When it comes to cars, I’m form over function. And so far, to the best of my knowledge, no EV convertibles in production. But if there is one, I’m sure @ucbalumnus will find it.

If so, I’m hoping it’s port-a-potty blue. My favorite. :laughing:

When my DH’s convertible got totaled earlier this year , he wanted an EV or hybrid convertible, but they don’t seem to be around yet. He had a 4 seater hardtop and loved it. Was told they aren’t yet making ev convertibles- something about the light roof and the heavy battery? DK- over my paygrade.

1 Like

That makes sense. Also, I’d think the electronic hardtop/soft top constantly going up and down would add another drain on the battery.

Ack the autocorrects get me every time. They aren’t yet MAKING the ev convertible……

1 Like

Oh, but it is! A view on the world like no other!

Honestly, my decision of whether or not to buy an EV or hybrid will not take the sound of the engine into consideration…at all.

Although I did buy a raffle ticket for a Challenger and it would be fun to win. So keep you fingers crossed for me🤣

2 Likes

I wonder if, decades from now, there will be a collector’s market for today’s EVs?

This 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO is expected to sell for $60M+ in November at Sotheby’s in New York.

According to https://www.hotcars.com/1962-ferrari-250-gto-what-costs-today/ , only 36 were made (33 in the 1962 model year), with an original price of $18k ($176k in today’s money adjusted for inflation).

There are not too many of any kind of car (including EV) with that combination of low volume and high price.

I wonder what relevance this has to the issue being discussed in the thread?

It seems that some of opposition to EVs has less and less to do with the value, efficiency, practicality, enjoyment and function of EV cars, and more to do with other factors relating to personal preferences such as politics, sentimentality and nostalgia, anti-wokeness, or other emotional contrarian sentiments.

2 Likes

It’s funny. Ford people can make fun of Chevy people, then they go out and grab a beer together.

It’s a shame that the EV community is all about lectures. Maybe that’s why adoption is so low?

1 Like

All about lectures? Not a thing here. Friends who frequent local car shows have been reporting seeing more and more personalized Teslas there in addition to old Fords etc. No fights of any kind… :slight_smile:

Price is generally the biggest barrier to adoption.

We drove sticks for decades before we switched to EVs. Never going back. EVs are so much better to drive. I do very occasionally miss shifting gears, but the immediate acceleration more than makes up for it.

2 Likes

@GKUnion picked quite possibly the most valuable car in the world. :grinning:

The question as I understood it was will they make a rare and desirable EV with captivating looks, which will increase in value over time, like the ‘62 Ferrari pictured above?

And I say yes. I’m sure Porsche, Ferrari, etc. will make a rare and desirable EV that will increase in value over time.

2 Likes

As for those not interested in EVs, I guess we can add sensitivity about supposed “lectures” to the host of reasons that have nothing do with the value, efficiency, practicality, enjoyment and function, reliability, etc. of EVs.

Are the supposed “lectures” also the reason you have posted 71 times in this thread to tell us, again and again, that you have no interest in acquiring an EV? I wonder how many posts saying the same thing it takes to constitute a lecture?

Hopefully we can get back to discussing the more tangible pros and cons of EV purchases/leases as well as the pluses and minuses of particular EVs, per the OP.

1 Like

Maybe an another thread on collectible cars might be a good idea, so we don’t further diverge from the topic of this thread. You could include discussion of the 2008 Tesla Roadster that recently sold for a quarter of a million dollars.

1 Like

Sure. Battery range continues to lag behind consumer expectations across the entire platform.

That’s a report, from a dealer, not a public auction. And it was the first one made.

1 Like