Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

I disagree. This is the space for EV collectibles.

As admitted above, when it comes to cars, I’m a form over function type person. I’m not buying an EV until a manufacturer makes one that appeals to my “connoisseur“ taste. :grinning:

2 Likes

HA…This. My Tesla X Plaid is over the top. No need for this speed to exist. So, I pull in with this for the first time to meet my hiking club. I get ooh’s and ahhhs and kudos. I mention that it is over the top and one of the members says - well it’s an EV so it’s fine. If it was an ICE vehicle it would just be grotesque. I smiled and made sure I was not near that particular individual for that hike.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. Said individual complains about the rental they were given - a Polestar - and how it was limiting and required a lot of thought due to charging availability.

I laughed loudly - on the inside of course.

1 Like

I don’t believe the OP expressed a desire to wade into the weeds on EV collectibles, such as discussion of sales price (250K) vs. auction price (220K). And the Ferrari that got us distracted on this tangent isn’t an EV collectible. Other than continue to express your undying love for ICE vehicles here, I’d welcome and maybe even participate in thread on collectible cars, or on collectable EVs, but I’m not gong to wade into it here out of respect for the OPs topic.

I’m the OP to this thread…and this was never the question posed in my OP.

2 Likes

On the topic of hybrids: I was surprised to receive a call the other day from our local Ford dealer asking if we would be interested in selling them our C-Max Hybrid (which is not for sale). I have heard resale values for hybrids and EVs are inflated but this car has 190K miles on it. It’s not worth anything. Why would a dealership want to buy it?

Also on the topic of hybrids: my ex once had someone leave a note on the windshield of his Honda Insight 2000 hybrid asking if he would be willing to sell it. So there are hybrid/EV aficionados out there just like there are stick aficionados. The 2000 Insight was a niche low-production car.

I expect this’ll happen with the Bolts, too, in a few years. People with Bolts (us included!) just love them.

1 Like

We are a Bolt, Volt, and C-Max family. Went and looked at another used Bolt recently, but didn’t bite on it. Don’t really need another car right now, but it was a good price and we love our Bolt so much it was tempting.

1 Like

You posed the question to audience here “Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?”

And my answer, as a member of the audience here is, “I own a hybrid and I will buy an EV, once EV manufacturers make an EV that I find desirable or even collectible.”

I just sold my ICE SUV and bought a bike. While I may have an undying love for collectible ICE vehicles, but that doesn’t mean I can’t also have an undying love for an EV. Unfortunately, none are considered desirable that are also in my price range. Until then I’ll ride my bike and drive my hybrid and ICE cars.

But since folks here want to kick me off the conversation of EV’s, then I’ll happily oblige them.

1 Like

We have 2 hybrid cars. Your next vehicle will most likely be an EV. But I am being pulled into different directions:

1. A small sedan
  2. A commuter car. I was thinking the ElectraMeccanica Solo but that was recalled
  3. Porsche 718 EV??
  4. We might also just go to 1 car with a cargo e-bike for me

Maybe next time… we’ve thought every time for decades now.

2 Likes

We’ve been driving EVs for 8 years now. Have taken many road trips. It’s a different mindset but it’s very doable in most places (not West Virgina).

1 Like

“J.D. Power found that when non-Tesla drivers pull up at a charging station, they leave without charging 20% of the time, because the chargers were either all busy or not functioning.”

Wow!

While these aren’t necessarily the models some posters here are considering, its worth noting that the most recent consumer reports that just arrived gave very poor ratings to the Rivian R1S (a 57) and the Mercedes EQE (a 63).

1 Like

Might depend on the part of the country, but in the 8 years I have been driving an EV (mostly in the South) I can think of very few times I found a non-working charger or one that was full/busy. Again, most people don’t go to public chargers. It’s usually just a once in awhile thing because 80-90% of your charging is done at home or work. So even if you live in an area of the country with a lot of non-working or too busy chargers and 20% of the time you go to a charger bail on it that would be 20% of the 20%-10% of the time that you use a public charger so only like 4-2% of the times you charge. I imagine folks who drive gas vehicles sometimes bail on a gas station because it’s too busy, too.

Yeah but then you just go to the station on the other corner. You don’t have to pull out your phone and go to an app to find where the next closest station is.

2 Likes

Oh… but gas buddy!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Worth pulling up the app!

2 Likes

I have trouble finding open chargers at places like the Charlotte airport, but you don’t actually have to drive up to them - you can use the PlugShare app and you’ll know if they’re busy.

You don’t know if they’re ICEd, though. In addition to people who just don’t know better, there is a group of people out there who deliberately park their ICE vehicles in charging spots just to block them. When I’ve had to pull away without charging, it’s typically because they’re ICEd. Seems like some places are starting to crack down on this, thankfully.

Anyhow, I agree with sweetgum that it’s rarely necessary to use public charging.

1 Like

They are referred to as ice holes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A lot of EVs have the functionality to find a charger built in – even our old 2013 Nissan Leaf had that – or use Apple Car Play and Android Auto so you can just call it up on the infotainment screen without physically pulling out your phone. Pulling out your phone is so 2010 :smiley:

I just bought a car the other day, new Hyundai Tucson. I would have liked the Hybrid, but most places around here don’t have any, or 1) they were asking too much and 2) the financing deals are never as good on the hybrids as the ICE ones.

I’m not paying more $ and a higher %'age rate for no good reason.

2 Likes

They don’t have any, or are asking “too much”, or the financing isn’t as favorable because the hybrids are in demand. The ICE cars, less so, so they do what they need to to get them off their lot.