Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Actually we looked at an EV last week and the dealer was offering 0.9% financing. And some incentives to buy. We were surprised…but it’s under consideration if Volvo doesn’t fix my car!

Because Tesla has been discounting some of its cars, EV’s that are ones buyers might consider as potential purchases if also considering a tesla might be being discounted/incentives offered to get the sale.

I think the incentives are there for people like me who won’t consider buying a Tesla. For any price.

The tesla discounts make them very appealing, combined with the tax incentive, to buyers who may be considering them vs other comparable EVs. IMO the other companies have to do something to “match” that. JMO. No real need to discount cars or offer incentives to ones that are selling quickly and are hard to keep on the lot.

Well…then why is Tesla discounting their cars?

As I’ve said…the Tesla is not a car I care to own. I’m patiently waiting for other options…and some of the newer ones are promising…to me.

Tesla is discounting cars for 2 reasons: (1) there is an overproduction of some and (2) they are discounting some so that they qualify for the $7500 tax rebate.

Understand you don’t want a tesla. Am addressing why some “comparable” EVs may be being offered with incentives.

I’m willing to patiently wait for other options. It’s why I started this thread…to see what others might be doing and what they are considering.

I also really like the crosstrek hybrid…and I realize it does not get the best ratings…but I still like it. And it’s another option I’m considering.

Also…if the discussion about EV discounts needs to continue, I think it should be via message.

1 Like

Sure. I was responding to the poster who chose to buy an ICE because of the discounts and incentives. You mentioned that an EV you looked at was also offering incentives. Its interesting that some EV’s (other than the teslas) are also offering some.

Please move on from the EV discounts please.

1 Like

I get why they do it, and they’ll sell what they have, just not to me. I’d love to have gotten the hybrid model, but it’s not worth the higher cost (above MSRP) and higher %age rate to me.

Understood. Most buyers have to decide how much more they are willing to pay for the hybrid or PHEV or EV over the ICE version (if there is an ICE model) or a different ICE model to make it worthwhile. My DH bought the new 2023 (hybrid) prius. He wanted the prius prime (PHEV) but it simply wasn’t available when he needed to buy. The PHEV starts at about $3k more than the hybrid (there is no ICE version). He would have paid it if it had been available.

1 Like

D1 and her fiancé bought a Tesla model 3. They have been living with just one car for almost 2 years. Her fiancé now needs to be in the office more so they decided to get a second car. He will be able to charge the car at his office and on the days he is WFH D1 will drive it to the school she teaches at 20 miles away.

2 Likes

I’m not buying at the moment, but the I saw a few Ioniq 5’s this past week and they’re not half-bad looking.

And they look like they have good reviews, fast charging and decent range, though I’d probably get the AWD, if I were to get one.

2 Likes

Polestar 3 is not a bad looking SUV! The SA said the initial range will be 300, but that’s conservative and can be improved with the software updates.

3 Likes

We looked at the Soltera. Subaru really wants these cars on the road. Offering discounts and almost 0% financing.

2 Likes

I got my wife to test drive a bunch of the EV SUVs and the Ioniq 5 was her favorite, even if price was no object (and it was half the cost of some of them!). She liked it more than the BMW iX, the Model X, the Rivian, the Mach E, the Caddilac or the Mercedes. Looks wasn’t even high on her list – she found it more functionally pleasing and nicer to drive than all those others.

It helped that she hated the lack of physical buttons for climate control on many of them, and she loved the paddle controls for easy variable setting of the regenerate braking on the Ionic – a winning feature.

If it wasn’t for the poor range with AWD, it probably would have been the winner by now.

1 Like

Note that the Ioniq 5’s basic EV architecture comes in three other versions. Two are SUVs (Kia EV6 and Genesis GV60), and one is a sedan (Hyundai Ioniq 6).

Rated range of the Ioniq 5 AWD at 260 miles seems to be good. However, that requires a 77kWh battery, so it is not as efficient as the most efficient EVs.

Yep. But the AWD range is less. And AWD is a must where I live.