Wisconsin Business vs Illinois Business

<p>I will keep this post brief, as it is pretty simple. I intend on majoring in finance, and I was admitted to UIUC's Business School and I am eligible to apply to Wisconsin's Business School through the direct admit program. I live in Illinois, but the difference in tuition is not that significant for business students. If I am not admitted to Wisconsin BBA my choice is obvious, but if I am admitted, what are your thoughts on the matter? I have visited both and I love both.</p>

<p>Pretty even. I’d pick UW because it has more going for it overall.</p>

<p>For the Wisc. Direct Admit program, take a close look at the classes YOU MUST take with the 19 other Direct Admits. If you happen to have AP credits for Econ, Psych, etc. it might be a waste to be forced to take them at Wisc. That’s not intended as a comment about Wisc, more about the Direct Admit program. As Barrons said, both really good schools with strong reputations in business.</p>

<p>Call or email the FIG office to confirm that you would be forced to take the classes that you’ve tested out of before going on the word of this message board.</p>

<p>When my daughter emailed the FIG people last year with a similar question (AP Chem credit), she was told that students who have tested out of math and science courses with AP credits don’t have to repeat those just because they want to sign up for a particular FIG.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Wisconsin-Madison | FIGs | First-Year Interest Groups](<a href=“http://figs.wisc.edu/]University”>http://figs.wisc.edu/)</p>

<p>Greg Smith, FIGs Director 608.263.6504</p>

<p><a href=“mailto:glsmith2@ls.wisc.edu”>glsmith2@ls.wisc.edu</a> </p>

<p>Kari Fernholz, FIGs Coordinator 608.262.7375</p>

<p><a href=“mailto:klfernho@wisc.edu”>klfernho@wisc.edu</a></p>

<p>Overall, the business schools are ranked almost identically by BusinessWeek in terms of overall UG business schools. Finance and economics are stronger at UW Madison. However, accounting significantly stronger at UofI. Many finance majors double with accounting so that can be an important consideration.</p>

<p>Madison85 is absolutely correct about checking with the university and not simply accepting the post as fact. I would check with college of business as this is not a FIG you choose per se, it’s one you are auto-enrolled in with the 19 other freshman that are direct admits.</p>

<p>Good luck! While not an easy decision, it’s a nice choice to have.</p>

<p>You’ve got a</p>

<p>The UW SOB wording on this requirement is so precise and clear it seems they mean just what it says. FIGS does not control SOB requirements–just the opposite. Taking the program acceptance is your choice. College level econ is much tougher than AP. They might find another way to credit you for that AP class.</p>

<p>"First-Year Interest Group (FIG)
Students accepted by the Direct Admission process will participate in the Business First-Year Interest Group (FIG). FIG is a learning community of about 20 students. The Business FIG consists of General Business 365, Economics 101, and Political Science 104. Direct Admission students participate in this FIG whether or not they have “tested out” of any course by AP or transfer credit. The 3-course Business FIG will count toward fulfilling requirements. "</p>

<p>[High</a> School Student](<a href=“http://bus.wisc.edu/bba/admissions/how-to-apply/high-school-student]High”>http://bus.wisc.edu/bba/admissions/how-to-apply/high-school-student)</p>

<p>To repeat, congrats. You potentially will have to choose between two very good options. I have an undergrad in accounting from University of Illinois and now work in Madison.</p>

<p>Each in world class in something. Illinois in accounting, UW in real estate and security analysis. If any of those areas have appeal, the decision should not be too tough. However, I’d place the schools about equal on everything else.</p>

<p>Then you’d have to decide based on other factors including location (Madison hand’s down winner), campus culture (Madison likely wins again), extracurriculars (depends on what yours are), etc.</p>

<p>Good luck and have fun.</p>

<p>Barron’s - thanks for posting that info, it is clear those classes are required even if a student has ‘tested’ out.</p>

<p>I know this is a “by invite only” program, does anyone know how many apply for the 20 or so spots? DS considering UW and IU for Business.</p>

<p>Last year approximately 80 were invited to apply. 20 were selected, a couple dropped in June/July and alternates were added to come up with the 20.</p>