Work Study Question

<p>Hey I just have a question about the work-study financial aid option. I received the presidential scholarship, and I’m offered $3,500.00 in fed. direct subsidized loans, $2,000.00 in fed. direct unsubsidized loans, and then $2,278.00 in federal work study. However, I don’t fully understand how the work-study program is and what its obligations are. Can anyone explain this to me? I don’t want to click “accept” without knowing what I’m agreeing to. Thanks and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Hey i got it too. from what was explained to me its basically u get the money, and then u have to have a part time job with flexible hours during the year. IDK wait for mom2collegekids to answer she knows everything about ua.</p>

<p>Go ahead and click “yes”…even if you’re not sure that you will actually use it. </p>

<p>Work-study is a federal program which provides money for salaries for campus jobs for students.</p>

<p>So, at the beginning of the school year, you go to a meeting (I think) where you learn about the various campus work-study jobs and you pursue one. The early bird gets the worm, so don’t delay.</p>

<p>Anyway…it’s a job…a campus job (usually) and you get paid an hourly wage. You’ll get paid about every 2 weeks. You can work usually work as little as you want…even 4-5 hours per week. Usually, kids work about 10 hours a week.</p>

<p>The purpose of W-S is to provide “pocket money” for kids so that they can pay for their day to day expenses. </p>

<p>WARNING…If you decline W-S as a frosh, you may never get it offered again.</p>

<p>Okay so if I click “yes” it won’t automatically lock me into it right? Or if I for some reason find another job elsewhere, it won’t get me in any sort of “trouble” to quit right? I don’t plan on doing that, I was just wondering.<br>
Also, by being “offered” work study, is it guaranteeing me some sort of campus job or is it just saying that I qualify? I have been somewhat nervous about not being able to find a job that will help me pay for day to day costs. I am a hard worker and I learn quickly; I also have work experience, but with the general economic state right now jobs aren’t easy to come by.
Thanks!</p>

<p>You can always decline WS later…it doesn’t lock you into a commitment.</p>

<p>You aren’t guaranteed a job, but you’ll likely get one if you do what you’re supposed to do. That’s why you have to attend whatever it is (Sea_tide will further explain) and find out what’s offered and immediately act on your choices.</p>

<p>That’s why I said, the early bird gets the worm.</p>

<p>The benefits of work study is that the hours are more flexible as your supervisor knows that you are a student and that your earnings do not count against you when you file FAFSA for next year. There are also no FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes for work-study and many other on campus jobs. </p>

<p>Overall, it is a lot easier to find a work study position on campus than it is to find one that is open to all student applicants. There are also some off campus positions available for work study students, such as elementary school tutoring, that pay slightly higher wages. </p>

<p>You will receive an email detailing the various requirements for work study, one of which is attending the work study job fair. Keep in mind that the most desirable positions go fast, but you will have a leg up next year when you know more faculty and staff and might hear about other work study job opportunities, some of which are not advertised. Departments like work study students as their wages don’t come out of the department’s budget, so they are more willing to hire work study students for positions that sometimes allow for studying in between work duties.</p>