workload for engineering

<p>I know this has been discussed in engineering forum but I want to know from Purdue Students perspective how's the workload for engineering? Do you get free time to hang out with friends, go out and pursue other passions?</p>

<p>My son has several friends in engineering at Purdue and it seems to boil down to time management and which engineering discipline you choose.</p>

<p>We have heard over and over again the the Intro to engineering is a tremendous amount of work for the freshmen. Still, the students seem to find time for a club of their favorite, etc.</p>

<p>But if you compare engineering to say a liberal arts degree, it will seem like you have no free time. Son also has a friend doing that degree and he has free time galore. Comparing the two side by side and the engineering student will soon feel he has no free time when indeed he does. You simply won't have as MUCH free time.</p>

<p>I have a son who went for an education/teaching degree and had tons of free time. Another of my sons has very little in a more rigorous degree but what he has found is great time management and MAKING time to have fun.</p>

<p>The young men that we know that take engineering at Purdue do not have much free time but with smart use of time have found the time to pursue outside clubs etc. Plus, some of them also shared that although they don't have the hangout time like many friends, they do enjoy their classes and feel it's worth it. Of all the young men (sorry, I don't know any women engineers at PUrdue) they all love the school.</p>

<p>So although <em>I</em> am not a student, I hope my report about it helps.</p>

<p>i agree with the above post. with good time management, you can defintely have free time, but its going to vary from week to week depending on the workload. i would also say that if you already have a strong interest in math/science/programming, that you might have an easier time with the material. ex. my roomate has extensive background in programming, (C, C++, java, linux/unix, PHP, etc...) and didn't even really have to study for his computer science courses to ace them. this is not to say he had that much free time, he spent a lot of time with classes that he felt he was weaker in (foreign language, etc...). likewise i didn't spend too much time on my math or physics course because i spent free time thinking about these subjects, and a lot of the concepts that were brought up in class didn't really surprise me all that much. in addition, i find it helpful to read stuff related to what you're learning in class. usually i find it helps to add relevance to the material we're learning.</p>

<p>From my experience with engineering at Purdue, you can always have a good social life. I had free time to hang out with my friends, go to the co-rec to play basketball or work out, and even go out to the bars at night.</p>

<p>Again with time management, you find a good a balance between your studying time and your other interests. Just because its engineering doesn't mean you have no social life. It probably just means that you will have to find a good balance between your studying and play.</p>

<p>I do suggust finding a good study group.. they'll keep you motivated and help answer questions if you get stuck so you’ll save lot of time that way.</p>