Would an atheist be shunned at UA?

<p>skydive-You seemed to have answered your own question with post #21, paragraph 2.
If she hasn’t had a problem in the past, why would it all of a sudden be a concern to her at a huge university with VAST differences of beliefs, thoughts, ideas, etc.
It appeared a bit inflammatory to me from the get go.
Did you post this particular question on other forums or just the Alabama forum?</p>

<p>It is not “all of a sudden” a concern, any more than it’s suddenly a concern for a Catholic student wondering whether he/she will fit in at UA as a Catholic in the deep south. She personally doesn’t have a problem with those who are religious; it is the vehemently religious who seem to have a problem with HER (as evidenced by the flames earlier in this thread). Hence, her hesitancy. </p>

<p>She has never been to UA and so does not know there to be VAST differences in beliefs there - which is why I posted the question after meeting with her last week.</p>

<p>I’m sorry if my initial post appeared inflammatory - it was an honest question that was additionally qualified with request to stay away from pro/anti religion sentiments. Thanks to those who commented in the original intent of the thread - I will share your responses with her when I see her again next week.</p>

<p>it is the vehemently religious who seem to have a problem with HER (as evidenced by the flames earlier in this thread). Hence, her hesitancy.</p>

<p>I guess on every campus there will be some people who object to any kind of position…liberal, conservative, religious, non-religious, pro-guns, anti-guns, pro-death penalty, anti-DP, pro-this, anti-that, etc. </p>

<p>Are there colleges that are immune from having some students with strong feelings about one thing or another? </p>

<p>There wouldn’t be any shunning at Bama, because an overwhelming number of students wouldn’t care either way.</p>

<p>“Despite the financial advantages, she immediately dismissed the idea because, as an atheist, she is certain she’ll be ostracized for not attending church on Sundays.”</p>

<p>She’s never been to the campus but, “certain that she’ll be ostracized for not attending church on Sundays.” I guess that I found that to be a ridiculous statement. Judge much?</p>

<p>I highly doubt that A) any other students would notice where you go on Sundays B) If they did notice, they wouldn’t give a hoot.</p>

<p>Is it a confirmed fact that there is 60% OOS enrollment for Class of 2016?</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>I think so.</p>

<p>As for being ostracized for not going to church on Sundays? lol…as if there’s some kind of “church checking roll call” on campus? Oh my…I’m sure many of the kids are sleeping in on Sunday mornings…even some of the church-goers…because some attend evening services or Saturday services. </p>

<p>No one would notice or care. The only exception is that a church-going roomie may invite a student to attend church with them, but the invite would just be a polite one…like when you’re going out to lunch and invite a friend to come along. No obligation…just trying to be inclusive. </p>

<p>I doubt my kids know/knew or cared whether their roomies were attending any kind of service.</p>

<p>I’m trying to imagine how/why anyone would notice or care. If a church going kid leaves for service at 9am and returns a few hours later (after services, after socializing, after brunch), how is he going to know whether his roomies went or not. Today’s college kids really have a “live and let live” attitude.</p>

<p>I have a lot of experience with this issue.</p>

<p>There is an official student group, Alabama Atheists and Agnostics. It has multiple Facebook pages, the main one being set to secret as there are some members who cannot be “out” publicly as there is a good chance that their families will disown them. The group is very active during the school year, hosting movie screenings, outreach events (notably an “Ask an atheist” table in the student union), and fundraising for secular causes. Out most recent fundraiser was called Send an atheist to Church where for every $5 donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, one AAA would attend a church service at a church/religious organization of the donor’s choice.</p>

<p>The State of Alabama as a whole is deeply religious and in many ways UA still reflects that. Upon meeting someone for the first time, many people will ask what church the person attends. This is often just a good natured inquiry that will sometimes result in an offer to visit that person’s church. As for UA, the increasing OOS population is bringing a more secular feel to campus, though there are still some religious aspects that one would not see at many other state universities. For example, UA has denied requests to discontinue religious invocations at graduations (UA does not have celebrity speakers at graduations as per campus tradition and will instead often invite a local religious leader to give an invocation) and selectively enforces rules governing group advertisement (the Crimson White has articles on this). That said, there is a large amount of faculty and student support and action to make campus more welcoming of all people.</p>

<p>Overall, I would tell a an atheist, agnostic, nonreligious, religious, etc. potential student that they will find a supportive group at UA. </p>

<p>In regards to others caring about ones location on a Sunday morning, many students aren’t awake to notice. While there are likely some groups that would care, the vast majority of students can choose not to associate with those groups. I use that disclaimer as I do know of students whose families require them to participate in certain activities as a condition of funding their education. It is not unheard of for parents or a hometown religious leader to contact their Tuscaloosa counterpart to see if their child has been attending worship services, what was mentioned in the sermon, etc.</p>

<p>Note too that this voluntary association means that students can choose which events and clubs they will attend/be a member of. Not every atheist is in AAA, not every LGBTQ+ student is in Spectrum, not every republican is in the College Republicans, not every Catholic attends a Catholic church, etc. </p>

<p>Best of luck in the college search and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>When I was at Bama in the late 80s and early 90s, I don’t recall the majority of students going to worship services on Sunday morning, so your daughter will NOT have any problem.</p>

<p>Due to inability of many to follow CCs TOS concerning comments on religion and discussing moderation on open forums, this thread is now closed.</p>