Would an atheist be shunned at UA?

<p>I have a former gifted student who is a rising senior. She comes from a middle class family that likely won’t be able to afford most private universities without a lot of loans, and I have suggested UA to her as a possibility (she’ll qualify for a full ride with her test scores and academic record). Despite the financial advantages, she immediately dismissed the idea because, as an atheist, she is certain she’ll be ostracized for not attending church on Sundays. She currently lives at the edge of the Bible Belt, so she’s learned to keep her mouth shut, but she’d like to attend college someplace a little more open-minded. </p>

<p>She is VERY bright, loves learning for learning’s sake, and will probably major in some type of STEM field (with future plans for med or vet school). Am I steering her wrong? How much does religion factor into life at UA? Please be honest, as I think UA would be a good fit for her in most other respects besides this one - but I don’t want her to be miserable for the next four years! </p>

<p>Thanks! And p.s. - I don’t want this to turn into a pro- or anti-religion thread - I’m simply looking to assist this girl in finding a school where she can be successful AND happy!</p>

<p>i am sure there are plenty of non-religious kids at UA. yes, there are probably more christian students, but i don’t think a non-christian would be shunned. among almost 30K students, anyone can find their tribe.</p>

<p>[Alabama</a> Atheists and Agnostics](<a href=“http://ua.orgsync.com/org/alabamaatheistsandagnostics]Alabama”>http://ua.orgsync.com/org/alabamaatheistsandagnostics)</p>

<p>This is a fairly large group that is very well-respected and integrated within the university. There are very very few colleges or universities in the country that should be crossed off one’s list due to religious conviction. Alabama is certainly not one of them.</p>

<p>Like anything else, I think you’d find the UA community is very tolerant of an individual’s views, but quite INTOLERANT of those who choose to rub other’s noses in their beliefs by chalking up all the sidewalks on campus in defiance of Christianity as was done this year. As a Christian and being a Bama girl, I’m proud to say that If one goes looking for a fight, they are likely to find one here in the Bible Belt.</p>

<p>bamagirl is closer to the nail. One would assume that in any community, respect for another’s views is necessary if one wishes to find acceptance and friendship. While there are plenty of Christians who would unabashedly stand up for their views if they feel threatened, there are plenty of Muslims, Jews, atheists, and devil worshipers that would proudly do the same. Bama is all about being respectful, and if she follows that mantra she’ll be right at home.</p>

<p>As for the OP, the Atheists and Agnostics page looks a bit dead… but maybe it is more lively during the school year. I would try to contact one of the members and ask them what they think. Bama is in the Bible belt and many kids WILL be religious. I would think that an atheist at Bama would be just fine, but would have to keep his/her mouth shut during religious conversations, or at least be pretty careful to respect others’ views. It would probably be similar to what she faces right now with “learning to keep her mouth shut.”</p>

<p>Skydivemom…</p>

<p>Don’t worry. There are many kids at Bama that are either not religious or whatever. No biggie. My kids have had several atheist/agnostic pals at Bama.</p>

<p>By the way, OP, check out the University of Pittsburgh. They also give large merit scholarships. </p>

<p>Some other schools to consider: Northeastern, BU, Colorado College (gives 1-2 to STEM majors, but worth a try).</p>

<p>Major reaches for everyone but worth a shot: UVA echols scholars, UNC-CH, Emory, Vandy CV scholarship, Duke AB scholarship, Washington and Lee full ride, University of Southern California. </p>

<p>Keep looking and you may find even more :)</p>

<p>[qoute]One would assume that in any community, respect for another’s views is necessary if one wishes to find acceptance and friendship.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>could you mention this to the politicans for me? Thanks.</p>

<p>I will just add that my daughter was raised attending church, Sunday School, VBS, and Methodist summer camp. Due to some experiences with Christian friends in high school acting towards others in very non-Christian ways, she has entered a phase of her own life where she is doing a lot of questioning and searching. While I would not describe her as an atheist, she does not attend church or belong to a fellowship group. She is extremely liberal despite her southern upbringing. However, her roommate last year was a devout Catholic with strong views that ranged from the religious to the political. And despite their differences, their friendship flourished and they learned to be respectful of each other’s rights to their own opinions. I like to think that both of them gained something important from the other.</p>

<p>WhitLo, I love your post. Most people, religious or not, have respect for each others’ views. As long as that is upheld, all will be fine.</p>

<p>MODERATOR NOTE:</p>

<p>From CCs Terms of Service:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The correct response to a violation of the TOS is to use the Report Problem Post button. Further OT/non-college related comments will result in warnings and the possible closing of this thread.</p>

<p>My Catholic son has atheist and agnostic friends at Bama. And, as others have observed, they even have a club. No biggie. Bama is very diverse.</p>

<p>Bottom line: I would advise the OP to encourage this girl to apply. She will find many like-minded kids at Bama, I guarantee. It’s a big school with a very diverse student body.</p>

<p>BTW–as the mom of a kid who turned down UNC-Chapel Hill for Bama, I would not necessarily describe UNC as a “reach” for a really talented OOS kid with high stats. However, it is VERY stingy with merit money, and you have to jump through all kinds of hoops for scholarships (assuming you are invited to apply for one). It is also contracting (the state budget’s a mess) at a time when Bama is expanding. What can I say but: ROLL TIDE!!!</p>

<p>LadyDianeski, I didn’t mean that UNC CH is a reach for a high stat kid, I meant the full ride merit scholarships there are reaches for most kids.</p>

<p>Regarding Northeastern (from an earlier post…hate to venture a # as they have been changing), my D did get a top scholarship from them but with the cost of their tuition, UA is much less expensive for us. However, if your student is interested in co-ops, Northeaster is certainly worth a look.</p>

<p>@lattelady, I definitely agree that in most (all?) cases Bama will be cheaper. They are merely suggestions - those schools offer full rides and/or large scholarships. The kid can apply, and if she doesn’t get anything that makes one of the schools affordable, or if she likes Bama better than other scholarships she gets, then off to Bama she goes!</p>

<p>ETA: Most of those scholarships ARE full rides.</p>

<p>She herself is very tolerant of other belief systems - She actually has Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and Christian friends, and they all seem to get along without discussing where any of them will be spending eternity. For the most part, they mainly seem concerned about college choices, AP classes, the environment, the presidential race, and prom dates!</p>

<p>I’m also pretty sure she’s not going to college “looking for a fight” about religion, as she has grown up in our very conservative area her entire life and has never, to my knowledge, been confrontational with anyone. She is simply a very bright, moral, and active student looking for a good college fit that won’t break the bank like everyone else.</p>

<p>Thanks for the other suggestions - I’ve learned a lot as I’ve begun to help her navigate this process thus far! She’s looking mainly at colleges on the east and west coasts, but I don’t imagine any of them giving her the same deal as UA. She is running more NPCs this weekend with her parents financial info - hopefully this will provide us with more direction!</p>

<p>As an atheist starting at Bama this fall I am not and was never overly concerned about attending Bama. I will say though, I’m not very vocal about it, it’s not a big deal to me if x or y friend is religious or not. If you’re daughter is vocally critical of religious people then I’d say Bama is not for her, but if she is respectful then I really wouldn’t worry about it.</p>

<p>Remember the incoming class of 2016 is 60% out of state so every group has representation, I’m sure!</p>