Would delay in writing score hurt scholarship chances?

<p>DS didn’t take a writing test yet. He’s scheduled for the Nov. SAT… should we have him take the Sep. ACT with writing…or will all entries before the Dec. 15th date be able to have the same chance at receiving a scholarship. Thanks!</p>

<p>The short answer is no. Has your S made the scores necessary for one of the automatic scholarships? So to maximize your son’s chances he should take the ACT with writing and the SAT. Some students do better on one than the other. Good luck!</p>

<p>[Entering</a> Freshman Students - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/freshmen/index.html]Entering”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/freshmen/index.html)</p>

<p>From the website: “The scholarship priority date is December 15 (the application should be submitted online by December 15 and any required materials sent by mail should be postmarked no later than December 15). This means that the national December ACT and national December SAT results are the last college entrance examination results accepted for students who wish to be considered for scholarships.”</p>

<p>I don’t see where you have posted your son’s statistics. We could help more if we knew that info. Your son should take as many ACT or SAT tests as he can until he reaches the scholarship level he needs. There is no penalty for taking multiple tests and if your son scores a scholarship, the money will be worth it. Please be aware that UA does NOT “superscore” either test. He has to meet the requirements from one testing but it doesn’t matter if it is the ACT or the SAT. Some kids do better on one test than the other. </p>

<p>Okay, I see that you have expressed interest in UAB (previous posting) so I don’t know much about their scholarship or college, but if you are interested in The University of Alabama (this forum), then here is the OOS Scholarship info:</p>

<p>OUT-OF-STATE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2014-2015</p>

<p>Please review our FAQ section for details on the scholarships listed below.</p>

<p>CAPSTONE SCHOLAR</p>

<p>A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 27 ACT or 1210–1240 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Capstone Scholar and will receive $14,000 over four years ($3,500 per year).</p>

<p>COLLEGIATE SCHOLAR</p>

<p>A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 28 ACT or 1250–1280 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Collegiate Scholar and will receive $16,000 over four years ($4,000 per year).</p>

<p>FOUNDATION IN EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIP</p>

<p>A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 29 ACT or 1290–1320 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Foundation in Excellence Scholar and receive the value of one-half tuition or $47,900 over four years ($11,975 per year).</p>

<p>UA SCHOLAR</p>

<p>A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 30–31 ACT or 1330–1390 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a UA Scholar and will receive the value of two-thirds tuition or $64,184 over four years ($16,046 per year).</p>

<p>PRESIDENTIAL SCHOLAR</p>

<p>A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 32–36 ACT or 1400–1600 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive the value of tuition or $95,800 over four years ($23,950 per year).</p>

<p>*For scholarships awarded only by Undergraduate Admissions — If tuition is being paid by an outside source, with the exception of the Academic Common Market, the scholarship dollars may be used for other educational expenses (room, board, books, etc).</p>

<p>Here is the link so you can go directly to the page:
[Out-of-State</a> Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html]Out-of-State”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html)</p>

<p>Check out the FAQ page as well for more info.</p>

<p>Thank you very much! We had a “wave of overwhelm” earlier. I think the pressure of the NM deadline looming and lists of application stuff to fill in really hit. We’ve all dug through so much and made so many lists that it can all start to blur together. I knew UA’s forum was active enough to ask (for peace of mind) while we continued to track back and double check. I have to admit there’s a part of me that does doubt the merit offering can really be true : )</p>

<p>DS has taken the ACT once early Junior year with a 35 composite. He hasn’t taken the writing portion. He’s signed up to take the SAT in Nov. in case his border line PSAT score qualifies him to continue in the NM pursuit (216 in IL). Strong HS transcript, active in some extrac’s. Loves biology, knows he’s headed into engineering. Has had conflicting advice given RE biomedical as an undergrad degree so keeping other options open. Thank you all again!</p>

<p>Although the writing score is required, it doesn’t matter if it the ACT or SAT and it doesn’t have to be from the same sitting as the student’s high score. Scholarships are based on the which ever score is highest score between the ACT and SAT (CR/M only from one sitting), but the writing may be from a different testing date or a different test. Go ahead and have him put that one behind him ASAP.</p>

<p>Has had conflicting advice given RE biomedical as an undergrad degree so keeping other options open.</p>

<p>Guessing that he’s been told that BioMedE major as an undergrad is unnecessary? If so, that’s quite true. Whether pursuring med school or grad school, a BioMed BS isn’t necessary and can be more limiting career-wise. A MechE or ChemE major has more options and those majors are also accepted into BioMedE grad school as well as med school.</p>

<p>I agree with taking more than 1 SAT if NMF is likely. I would also have him take the Oct test, just in case on one test he doesn’t make the SAT minimum for NMF (strangely enough, that does happen sometimes)</p>

<p>Wow…thanks again! Our/my moment of panic is over…we have the pile of stuff back in order (had a paragraph about Northern IL behind UA’s stuff and that’s where the wrong info snuck in)…and we’ll trust that even if the NM has a higher than ever cutoff that there will be funds for all of the applicants for the published scholarships that meet the qualifications. </p>

<p>Okay…bamagirls, DS is now set up to take the ACT in Sep. for the writing (unless the band gods strike him down ; ) and is now set up to take the OCT and NOV SAT;s just in case…didn’t think about what the pressure might do to an otherwise good tester. </p>

<p>As you suggested mom2collegekids, DS as been researching ChemE and MechE options that might allow him to pursue a more biological bent later on. When he found he didn’t need a bioengineering/biomed undergraduate degree he was pretty thrilled that UA was open for him to attend. He knows he loves a traditional state school environment after tagging along on our searches for his older two siblings.</p>

<p>Your support and advice is greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>i think ME would be a good undergrad degree before biomedical engineering masters.</p>

<p>a kid can miss a band event in order to take the SAT or ACT. the band nazis may not like it, but it has been done before and will be done again.</p>