Would I be able to fit in at Wisconsin?

<p>The University of Wisconsin has a lot of really appealing attributes. Almost every math/science department is extremely reputable, the AMEP</a> program sounds amazing, and the OOS price is really quite reasonable.</p>

<p>However, I am not sure whether my personality would be a good match with the campus culture at UW-Madison. I'm the kind of person who always needs to be thinking about some kind of problem - if I don't, I obsess over little details and get fidgety. Perhaps because of this, I have always hated parties (especially those where intoxication is a primary goal). I also have a few personal experiences involving dealing with drunken people that quite frankly leave me unwilling to deal with such things again if I can possibly avoid it. I know there have been many, many threads about the drug/alcohol culture at Wisconsin, but they all seem to be filled with differing opinions. Some say that it is all-encompassing, while others downplay it.</p>

<p>I really don't care if some people choose to party on their own time and in their own place, but I am not going to walk through the streets tripping over passed-out party-goers or wake up at 2AM to the sound of blasting music from some idiotic communications major upstairs who likes their beer pong on Wednesdays. Would I be able to find a niche at Wisconsin with other students who are passionate about mathematics and science?</p>

<p>I'd appreciate all opinions.</p>

<p>Well having been here two weeks now I think I can shed some light on this question…</p>

<p>Up-front, there are a lot of parties, drinking, drunkards etc. here. It’s just a fact and you’re going to have to come into contact with these things whether you like it or not. There are however a lot of ways to get around these “obstacles” if you so choose.</p>

<p>In my opinion, if you do choose to attend here it would be a good idea to get to know the stereotypes of the dorms here. I myself do choose to mingle with these people and events and thusly chose to live in Sellery dorms which is part of the “Southeast” group. Southeast is known to be more loud/party oriented than the “Lakeshore” group which is more quiet subdued. That’s not to say they don’t have parties, but it’s more unlikely you will find people riding up and down on couches in the elevators there at 3 am.</p>

<p>Another note about housing, you sound like you would be a good fit for some of the learning communities that take place in the various dorms. I can’t remember them off the top of my head, but in these communities you are more likely to live/socialize with people who share your mindset of more school less alcohol.</p>

<p>Madison is a huge place so there is always a niche to be found, you just might have to stick out your neck a little to find it. I know someone here who is extremely timid, doesn’t drink, and hasn’t found too many friends. It’s not that there are not other sober people here it’s just that you have to seek them out and not stay holed up in your room all night. If you join clubs/intramurals you can find friends extremely easily because from what I’v seen people are really nice and down to earth here whether they drink or not so don’t be afraid to come to Madtown!</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>Interesting post. Thanks for the opinion.</p>

<p>I’m a fairly outgoing person, and I would definitely join some clubs. The learning communities look interesting; I will definitely check them out.</p>

<p>Yes, you will be a good fit for UW-Madison.</p>

<p>Do not worry about the party goers/drinkers. The campus is large enough to accomodate all types. Do not feel you have to join a learning community, only do it if one seems like a good fit for you. There are plenty of serious students who have nothing to do with the activities you mentioned. If you qualify you may want to take the honors physics and math sequences son did (considered physics, became math major- he did not use his AP credits to get ahead in them but did the entire sequences). If you are involved with those you will meet some smart people with similar interests. Also, you may want to consider the lakeshore dorms if they are still quieter as above poster suggests. Every dorm is close enough to freshman classes, everyone does plenty of walking.</p>

<p>My daughter sounds similar to you in a lot of ways. Not a drinker at all, but loves a live music and arts scene. She has only been there 2 weeks and has not once mentioned any obnoxious drunks yet, and I talk to her almost daily.</p>

<p>She chose to live in Chadborne, one of the Learning Communities, that has a great location in her (and mine) opinion. I agree with the other poster that these might be a good fit for you. I think there are about 8 of them on different topics if I remember right. Chadborne focuses on the LAC type of experience within a larger school. All the other schools she looked at were "High End LAC’s with small populations (<3000). This seemed to be a good fit to keep a smaller, involved, inquisitive feel, but at a larger school with tons of opportunities. </p>

<p>Lots of extra programing and events going on. Madison is a BIG school, and there are MANY different things to do. She just went to the Student Group/Club type expo the other day. I think she said there was more 700 to chose from. I think that was one of the reasons she might have chose UW over others is that there is SO much to do and be involved with, both academically and otherwise too. She has already jumped into EC dance, swimming, workouts, art, etc… Her roommate has secured an intership as a freshman with a local music club (she is thinking being a business major/ music minor).</p>

<p>So as a summary dont be worried by Madisons “party” reputation. It is a GREAT city and university that you can make your experience what ever YOU want.</p>

<p>Good Luch</p>

<p>DJD</p>

<p>Thanks for the opinions! I will definitely keep Wisconsin on my list for further examination.</p>

<p>In addition to the learning communities which are great, there is a substance free dorm in the lakeshore area.</p>

<p>Thanks for mentioning that, Barrons, as my freshman D is a member of the substance-free floor of her dorm, I believe the only one on campus. She absolutely loves it. And, like Cryto says, the majority of the ‘Lakeshore’ people are decidedly not major partiers.</p>

<p>There will always be those who stereotype Lakeshore folks, Southeast dormies, and Coasties/private housing denizens, and it’s true to a certain extent, but from what my D tells me, most of the time everyone is very cool & extremely tolerant of others’ behavior.</p>

<p>The drinking/partying/athletic scene is definitely the dominant culture at UW. You can find friends outside of this clique, but it will require some effort.</p>

<p>I disagree strongly with the above poster. It may be difficult to avoid running into the drinkers but there are plenty of others around the dorms so finding like minded friends shouldn’t be hard.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m going to have to disagree with you a bit Wis. While I acknowledge and am sure that one can easily find like-minded friends (Theres 30,000 undergrads it couldn’t be too hard) The “Dominant” culture is definitely drinking/partying. But as mentioned earlier you don’t have to partake in those activities to fit in.</p>

<p>I just wanted to point out that your major has little to do with your tendency to drink.</p>

<p>The point is that it doesn’t matter what the dominent culture is as there are enough students around that a student can avoid that and have friends. Room for many types of people. You find your own niche and don’t worry about what others do. College lacks the peer pressures of HS.</p>

<p>Just do not live in the Southeast dorms (Witte or Sellery). I lived in Witte and while that was good for my personality, you probably wouldn’t like it so much. Most nights were filled with people running around, completely tanked, until 3 AM. I would regularly find people passed out in the hallway and one night the police kicked down a door and arrested some floormates at 4 in the morning. Lakeshore dorms are much, much more calm, so make sure you live there if you decide to attend.</p>

<p>I think that if you want to party you can easily find one, but if you don’t they are quite easy to avoid. If you join clubs it will be easier to find people you want to hang out with, and you can have tons of fun without ever getting totally wasted. I would recommend at least going to at least one party though, or you will regret not having the experience.</p>

<p>Wow, I forgot this thread. Let’s allow it to rest in peace.</p>