Would I be insane to turn down this offer?

<p>I'm a recipient of a Brown Foundation Scholarship & National Merit Scholarship; overall scholarship money is enough to where they didn't give me any additional financial aid. Admitted to the University Honors Program; also applying for ACE Scholars (majoring in computer engineering) and Engineering Honors. In addition, I was accepted to the MSC Champe Fitzhugh Seminar, and the Brown Foundation has given me a scholarship to cover those costs as well.</p>

<p>My question: is this an offer I can't refuse? I'm also receiving a generous financial aid offer from Rice University, and I've narrowed my college choices down to Rice and A&M. To be frank, neither of those schools was at the top of my list when I started the college applications process, but now that I've visited both campuses and spent time talking to both current students and alumni, I find myself attracted to both universities, and am terribly conflicted. Any advice would be much appreciated!</p>

<p>You can’t go wrong with either school. Where do you have to pay more $$ out of your own pocket?</p>

<p>I’ll be interested in seeing the responses to this thread. Son (and family) are struggling with a similar question, with the difference that Rice has offered almost nothing, while TAMU’s NMF package covers everything except, essentially, room and board–plus possible extras for study abroad, a fifth year, etc. </p>

<p>Rice is a great school and all, but not if it costs exponentially more. If you like both schools, follow the money! This is especially important if you are considering grad school.</p>

<p>You have great options. It should all come down to which is going to give you the best opportunity to flourish and find employment after graduation. (I will mention that A&M grads are highly sought after by employers <a href=“Best Colleges & Universities - Ranked by Job Recruiters - WSJ”>The Wall Street Journal - Breaking News, Business, Financial & Economic News, World News and Video)</p>

<p>Would you prefer living in a big city or do you most enjoy a small town feel? You should look at the pros and cons of attending a private university vs a public one. </p>

<p>Graduating debt free is awesome, but ultimately you have to make the decision as to where you’ll succeed the most. </p>

<p>@yakker. Buy your son a nice used car or send him on a nice trip with a little of the money you are saving at A&M.</p>

<p>Two great options. The campus cultures are pretty different, though. Which do you prefer? And how strongly? If you just are not an A&M guy, go to Rice, otherwise, be an Aggie. </p>

<p>You say you got a generous offer from Rice, too. Can your family swing the cost? </p>

<p>For engineering, I would say TAMU by a slight margin. If A&M gave you a better financial offer, then I would take it if it were me. However, if you don’t like the feel of the town then go with where you are comfortable. Sounds like you are in a win-win situation.</p>

<p>My son had a very similar offer from A&M years ago along with a handful of other three-quarters to full-tuition packages from several other great schools, including Rice, and even MIT. He, too, felt very conflicted. It was his meeting with Mr. Brown and a personal A&M campus tour several weeks later that ultimately led to his decision to attend A&M. He absolutely LOVES his school and has never looked back.</p>

<p>I was just there visiting him. We were discussing the recent article on npr about college choices. There is a whole lot to be said for accepting the lowest out-of-pocket-cost school that still provides a great education and professors who care about their students. A&M provides all of that.</p>

<p>My son was also telling me about another article he recently read about the future success of the tippy top high school graduates after they leave high school. I am not sure where he read it, but he was saying that, according to the article, much of a top student’s self-concept and happiness in life is determined by their success in college, and that when a top student accepts a school like MIT, many of those top students are likely to suddenly find themselves in the middle of the pack. But when that same student attends a great state university that can likewise offer an excellent education, that student is likely to continue to find himself at the top if the pack. That continues to mean top of the pack opportunities, outstanding experiences, great mentor relationships, and excellent cost benefits and rewards for the student, which, according to what my son read, tends to translate into future happiness and success in life. I think I got that right. Basically, according to the author of that article, top students can often fare better at an excellent state school where they can continue to take advantage of a whole host of opportunities, and often at a greatly reduced cost (not just because the published costs at state schools are generally lower, but because top students are so often rewarded with scholarships and grants for all sorts of amazing opportunities while in attendance).</p>

<p>Anyway, my son has been rewarded time and time again by those at A&M with incredible opportunities, generous grants and scholarships, and very meaningful relationships with his professors and his peers. He would make the same choice over again. </p>

<p>I hope relaying his experience helps you in some way. The bottom line is you really can’t go wrong with your choice. Go with your gut. No matter which school you choose, you’re likely to fall in love with it. </p>

<p>Decisions had to be made by May 1, right? So the OP has already made up his mind.</p>

<p>I agree with the others, though - I would choose A&M. And that’s coming from a tea sipper! :)</p>

<p>The fact that someone turned down MIT for A&M makes me feel better about my decision to go to A&M. I really appreciate all the input from this thread; thanks!</p>

<p>I’m glad to hear it, SakataKintoki. It’s good to hear from you. I hope that you find all sorts of open doors at Texas A&M! Wishing you the best! :)</p>

<p>@SimpleLife‌ - the article your son mentioned was actually a talk by Malcom Gladwell given at a Google Zeitgeist here is the video: <a href=“Why Did I Say "Yes" to Speak Here? | Malcolm Gladwell | Google Zeitgeist - YouTube”>Why Did I Say "Yes" to Speak Here? | Malcolm Gladwell | Google Zeitgeist - YouTube; I highly recommend spending some time watching it. Like many of his talks, he cherry picks data, but it is very interesting… - psy</p>

<p>@psywar - I really enjoyed the video. I loved his last line in the speech! Haha! Way to wrap it up! But my son said he wasn’t referring to this speech. He was referring to something he read, which may well have been the study Malcolm Gladwell referred to in his speech. I’m not really sure, but the video was really interesting, too! Thanks!</p>

<p>@psywar @SimpleLife‌ sorry I’m a little late. I too really enjoyed the video but Gladwell includes the same thing in his book David vs Goliath (chapter fish I think). Hope this helps!</p>