Yale - Mental Health Policy

2 Likes

Few things stood out - 1st the horrible no leave must reapply policy and that all the students referenced were reliant on Yale’s health insurance vs covered by family. Am I naive or are a large % of college students covered by college vs family - another sad statement on our heath care system.

I would have never thought to understand my children’s schools policies unless there was a preexisting condition and was shocked by this article and treatment of these young adults.

1 Like

Seems like a good solution to a complicated problem. Many students, particularly those on financial aid, are on the school’s medical insurance plan.

I know that Harvard treats medical issues the same way as described here, not just mental health issues. Students with migraines, cancer, epilepsy, etc. are not allowed on campus.

I am unclear but it appears students at Yale with mental health issues do not actually have to “reapply” but they have to pass muster running a gauntlet of requirements and interviews. Again, ditto for medical issues.

I always thought this made sense. What doesn’t make sense is that if you leave in the fall, you are out for almost a whole year.

Reduced course loads can make a huge difference but colleges then have to pay financial aid over a longer period of time.

I don’t see why insurance is such a big issue, with the Affordable Care Act. Students are already paying $3k+ for the college plan if not on their parents’ plan (if parents are on Medicaid).

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.