You studied computer science but Big Tech no longer wants you. Now what? – The Economist

Feature article in The Economist 1843 magazine:

You studied computer science but Big Tech no longer wants you. Now what? (economist.com)

9 Likes

Interesting. My sense is that CS majors will still find good jobs; however, they may have to be more flexible about what type of company they’ll work for, where they’ll be located and how much they’ll be paid - you know, like kids majoring in other fields.

9 Likes

While layoffs continue so does hiring for very specific skill sets. However, the wholesale talent grabbing days of the FAANG companies is, for now, over. Many companies could benefit from these conditions, however the precarious financial outlooks are causing them to be cautious in hiring as well.

Hopefully this won’t last long, but the glory days of the FAANG internships may be over. Additionally, the worldwide employee walkouts at places like Google may be a thing of the past as these companies return to their engineering roots (might not turn down projects like Maven now).

As in all job turndowns look for a flight to quality as hiring gets even more competitive. These are lessons learned long ago by by older generations. Time for a wake up call for the younger gens.

10 Likes

It was much worse in 2001-2003, but many of today’s new college graduates were not even born then, so they may not personally remember that any industry can have its downturns.

Of course, postings on these forums over the years indicate that so many are overly focused on a small number of big famous companies. While some industries have consolidated into oligopolies (oligopsonies when buying labor), that is not yet true in computing.

3 Likes

sounds like college admissions.

15 Likes

Or Greek rush…

2 Likes

Maybe next year we’ll see posters with a diversity of majors vs just …CS

Nah - that’s unlikely to happen.

It’s been too good for too long. But there will always be cycles.

Still - winners win in life so the gritty, focused, disciplined person will win the long game.

2 Likes

Good. Maybe now students will think twice about the ethics of working for such companies and will instead choose to apply their skills in ways that will benefit rather than hurt humanity.

3 Likes

Yes, there is actually increased demand at the very high end of the market. My son’s friend just reneged on a 10-week summer internship that would have paid him $60K (plus free housing), because their startup idea just got funded. If it were my child, I would have recommended finishing the internship to increase options, but hey, not my child.

But back to the article, students should have gone into the career fairs realizing it was a buyer’s market. That means they should have looked up the list of companies still attending, and researched what each one did, and for those of interest, how to explain how their background is a fit. It’s no surprise that Juniper has not called Ayara back, as they would rather spend their time who actually showed some interest in what Juniper does.

9 Likes

I’m a veteran of career fairs and I don’t think kids have to do a ton of research-- knowing what the company does is a modest bar. And for sure don’t bother with the whole “here’s why I am a fit for you” spiel. We know what we are looking for.

Kids are going to have to reset their expectations for their careers. Maybe start in St. Louis, not Seattle. A traditional salary “plus discretionary bonus” and not a company throwing money at you before you’ve even started. And yes- you may need to own a pair of shoes because the company may need you in the office T-W-Th even if YOUR idea of a hybrid work model is “I show up when I feel like it”.

For kids just starting their college careers- find something to major in that you are going to enjoy and do well in, even if the job market shifts before you graduate. Because it shifts. The world doesn’t need terrible nurses, or marginal CPA’s, or bored computer scientists.

Just my opinion.

12 Likes

Indeed, having a niche is very helpful! If nothing else, it makes the pool smaller.

I also think that there will be a bit of a pivot to skillsets that include hardware. It’s too hard to outsource something that has to be done with specialized equipment in a lab.

1 Like

Agree. I think that the “quality” applicants will do the research, will wear shoes and show up for meetings, and will put in that extra effort.

I love that both our son (CSE) and elder daughter (EECS) use time clocks on their computers. Both get up, get showered/dressed for work and cut me off if I call/text at a time that is not lunch. They both work from home. Son has a sign up on his door: " I’m at work: and another one “Lunch hour today: 11:30-12:15”. If a spontaneous meeting gets called, he goes into work.

Daughter doesn’t live with us, but I hear her lunch clock go off and she will say,

“Sorry Mom, I’m officially on the clock, can’t talk anymore. Call me after work.”

My husband is tired of the WFH newbies, who never seem to work. He doesn’t get responses nor acknowledgments about sent messages until later in the week. Some of them complain about having to be available for “zoom-like” calls from him, and he’s “supposedly” a manager!

So, when they need their time cards digitally signed, and they don’t “show” for meetings and the time cards say otherwise, he confirms dates and times with recorded hours on digital time sheets. They may miss the cutoff for time cards.

My hubby does not want to be a hard jerk and micromanage employees, but he doesn’t like the current work ethic of some newbie employees, who openly discuss their daily ventures, done during work hours, with colleagues who DO come into work. Supposedly the work is done in the evenings, but husband notes that there are no logins for the programs in the evening either.

Husband also selects his own teams for his projects and these newbies want to be on his programs because he’s an excellent mentor, but he wants nothing to do with them. They complain to the powers that be. Because they don’t get on husband’s programs, they feel entitled to not work on the other programs, yet he still is responsible for time cards. It’s a mess! He’s tired of it.
(He’s tried to recruit our daughter, but he can’t afford her!)

5 Likes

Bummer. Learn to pivot, like we all did. This is really a great lesson for these kids just starting out. Plus maybe others will think twice whether this is really what they want to do and not just for the money.

5 Likes

There’s probably been some siphoning off of engineering talent to CS in the last few years , partly probably because of the lure of money and the coolness factor. Engineering and CS in particular seem much more appealing these days to high schoolers as compared to a generation or two ago.

The article seems outdated. Since the start of they year, the largest tech company stocks stopped free falling and have instead been rising rapidly. Facebook stock is up 91% so far this year. Amazon, Google, Apple, and Microsoft are all up more than 30%. Some large tech companies have returned to large hiring, although often not as large as certain previous years. There are also plenty of tech companies besides just the largest or most well known ones.

I’d wait to see the actual reported numbers for new grad outcomes, rather than focus on cherry picked anecdotal examples. The article mentions Berkeley, so I’ll use Berkeley CS ,majors as an example. There is not a lot difference in the stats below between 2022 and previous years. Maybe things will be completely different for 2023 grads. Maybe not.

2020 – Median Salary = $120k, 16% Still Looking, Most common employers = Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft
2021 – Median Salary = $120k, 15% Still Looking, Most common employers = Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft
2022 – Median Salary = $130k, 16% Still Looking, Most common employers = Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft

2 Likes

That was an interesting article. Here’s my gut take on that:

1. UCB CS majors portrayed in this article sound, honestly, like they’re naive, elitist, and snobs.
  2. There’s nothing like a good job market downturn to humble a person.
  3. There’s plenty of companies to work for other than FAANG.
  4. The attitudes mentioned in the article often show up here on CC…acting like if you’re a CS grad and you don’t go to work for FAANG, then you’re a loser or a failure. Get a grip.
  5. And good grief…do a little HW before you go to a job fair. Look up the list of companies who are going to be there. YOU GOT INTO BERKELEY, FOR PETE’S SAKE! So you’re clearly smart enough to figure stuff out.
12 Likes

Most people seem to pay more attention to anecdotes than data, so articles with anecdotes sell better than articles that only mention the data. Of course, the more sensational or wilder the anecdotes are, the better they sell the article, even though those particular anecdotes may not necessarily be the most representative.

3 Likes

These anecdotes don’t seem to me to be outdated or cherry-picked. The Economist isn’t known for sensationalism either. Everyone would obviously prefer more data, but data by themselves aren’t predictive. Data are even more backward-looking. By the time a large amount of data are accumulated, they’re guaranteed to be outdated.

3 Likes

I remember when Juniper Networks was a “hot growth” company.

That’s how you know you’re getting old - along with getting mail from AARP when your hair isnt even gray.

Since the FAANG companies traditionally extended offers up to 2 years before actual employment, I would expect the class of 22 outcomes would be similar to prior years. The class of 25 may not be getting those offers right now as they might have in prior times, hence the anxiety