SDSU Class of 2023 Application Thread

Good Morning Everyone,

My D and I went to the SDSU open house all day yesterday with her BFF and Mom too. The four of us split up to cover what the individual girls wanted to see, then met up later for the Weber Reception (both girls are in).

We enjoyed the study abroad presentation. SDSU has 22 majors that require study abroad in order to graduate, so they provide a wide variety of experiences. However, they were clear that these were part of the total Cal State travel options, and they should be available at all Cal State schools. That was helpful, now I know that not all of them are not campus specific.

We went on to the International Business major presentation next, and although the program is clearly well put together, rigorous and respected, my D felt that it was a bit too rigid for what she wanted to do. If she chooses to attend SDSU, she will likely change her major.

Then we spent some time with the information booths, and D really liked the wide variety of people, clubs and programs. It helped her get out of her shell a bit and start talking to other students. She met with a girl from the International Security and Conflict Resolution club (and major), and it really resonated with her. She will likely go poly sci with a minor in ISCR.

Then we went over to tour Zura Hall - long lines, short tour. But, it’s very clean and well done inside, and has some very nice spaces in it. We were a little surprised at how boys and girls were in such close quarters with one another. (In the same wing.) But, neither D nor BFF seemed to have an issue with it. I must be old fashioned. :slight_smile:

I wanted to share a key piece of information we did get from the housing booth yesterday. Even though D is from an address in the “service area” for SDSU, we want her to live on campus for as long as possible. So, we clarified with the housing team about the Sophomore live on campus requirement for service area students. They were VERY clear that not only did the Sophomore live on campus requirement NOT apply to them, but that even if they wanted to live on campus, their requests would be put at the bottom of the priority list. Furthermore, since Fall 2019 was the first year that they have done such a requirement, they had no data or knowledge about how much housing would be available for Sophomores for 2020. The representative said to expect that D would not get housing as a Sophomore in Zura or any other dorm on campus. D is young for her grade and we do not like the idea of her living in an apartment at age 18. And, although she can live at home, it’s 25 minutes away from campus, and I think it would separate her too much from the school. Hmmm, much to think about.

Then D and I walked around and ate lunch. It felt a really busy and crowded, a bit overwhelming, but I’m sure that this was just because it was open house day and there were a lot of extra people on campus.

Off to the Weber reception, which was very well done and gave a lot of good information. I could really feel how much the staff at Weber cared about the kids, their success and their well being. I think the program is good in that it creates a special experience and helps kids really broaden their horizons as well as supports their needs.

Our friends reported that the Biology major session was also very well done, and that as they walked through different parts of campus, they went through a lot of the Art and design areas and thought they were amazing!

All in all an extremely well done Open House! Gave us much to think about as we come closer to our final decision.

Good luck everyone! :slight_smile: