Bio: 790

AP’s (at time of application)

AP US History: 5;
AP Psychology - 5
AP Physics A: 3 :frowning:;
AP Computer Science A: 4;
AP World History: 5
AP Language and Composition: 5

Senior APs: AP Bio, AP Chem, AP Government/Politics, AP Calc, AP Literature and Composition

IB – none

Teacher / Counselor Recs: Not seen but assumed to be strong. One from counselor, one from sophomore chem teacher, one from junior world history teacher, one from junior physics teacher.

State: NJ
Ethnicity: Non-Caucasian
Income: >150k
Hooks: None

Awards:

National Merit Finalist
National AP Scholar
Eagle Scout Award
Order of the Arrow - Inductee
National Youth Leadership Training

Major ECs:

EMT - served at local rescue squad for two years, significant patient experiences
Genetics research at local state university - began senior year
Microbiology research at private university
Tech Intern for local school district
Math Instructor at tutoring center
Counselor at regional Cub Scout Camp

Other:

Founded and ran a regional medical exploring program at a major in-state hospital/healthcare system
Boy Scouts - 10+ years of experience, 4 years in leadership role, Eagle Scout, OA inductee, NYLT trained

Community Service:

Founded and ran major coat drive at local food pantry for 5+ years
Hospital volunteering
Eagle Scout Service Project - 400+ hours for local nursing home

Applied to the following BS/MD Programs:

TCNJ/NJMS - interviewed - ACCEPTED
NJIT/NJMS - interviewed - ACCEPTED
PennState / Jefferson - interviewed - REJECTED
Siena/AMC - interviewed - PENDING
Drexel/Drexel - placed on interview waitlist - REJECTED
UPitt GAP, CaseWestern, URochester, Rice/Baylor, Brown PLME, GW, VCU - rejected pre-interview (accepted undergrad)

DECISION: TCNJ/NJMS
Scholarship: Currently negotiating

Reflection:

I wish I had been told going into this that the applicatin process would be one of the most stressful times of my life. That’s the price you pay for applying (and being accepted!) into medical school right out of high school.

It’s important to remember that it is impossible to know what goes on behind closed doors at these universities. Focus on what you can control, put in the effort on your applications, prepare for your interviews, and most of all, KEEP OFF THIS WEBSITE!!! As helpful as it is, it is not going to help you reduce your stress at all. Check in every once in a while, and then stay off of it!

I am a firm believer that what is meant to happen will happen. Even if you do not get into any BS/MD program, keep your head up, work hard in your undergrad, and draw of your experiences when it is time to reapply to med school at the end of college.

Key Facts:

Acceptance rates to these programs are more selective than even the Ivy’s. You CANNOT get upset over your rejections. Instead, focus on the opportunities still at hand. These programs have very long application processes, and many (including the one I will be attending), had multiple interviews. Many universities prefer in-state students e.g. NJ, TX, CT, OH universities.

TCNJ/NJMS: This was by far my number one choice going into the application process! What really drew me to TCNJ was their environment as a liberal arts school. I didn’t want to go to a big STEM school because that’s what my high school was like, and I want to be able to pursue a more well-rounded education. TCNJ really gives that traditional college experience, and it’s small community of BS/MD students are really close and all good friends too!
UPitt: Only apply with a 1600 and 4.0 MINIMUM. They won’t even bother sending you a rejection email if you don’t.
Rice/Baylor: Insanely low number of seats. They accept 6 out of hundreds of applicants.
Penn/Jeff: By far the best interview session. The only program I was upset at being rejected by. Maybe this was because I had made it to the final interview stage too.
Drexel: Be wary of the med school. They lost their affiliation with their major teaching hospital, and are now partnered up with a small academic hospital in Reading, PA. I would have rather attended a traditional path than gone here even if I had gotten in.

Thank you for a great forum and all the best to future aspirants! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like advice!!! I know preparing for the application process can be tough :grinning:

note: Please do not PM me repeatedly to ask me to withdraw my applications from any pending programs.

14 Likes