Case Western Reserve University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

This year, the Early Decision (ED) deadline for the Case Western Reserve University is November 1.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

3 Likes

Not applying ED, applying EA → I’m planning on applying to BSMD program, but if I don’t get in I’m also applying to the neuroscience program.

3.98 UW/4.4 W, 1550 sat, 36 act, i am asian

ECs (purposefully vague)

• Research Internship at T30 w/ publication
  • 6 review papers for international youth neuroscience publication, founded club for it @ school
  • boy scouts (eagle) ~ 200 hrs service
  • lab intern at a biotech startup
  • some national and regional medals at science olympiad, asst. coach
  • hospice volunteer ~ 100-150 hrs service
  • inventing an biomechanical analysis app w/ other highschoolers and grad students at a t20
  • part time job at a math tutoring facility
  • president of a health club at school, lots of outreach in community
  • some cultural stuff

Awards

• eagle
  • research symposium grand award at t30
  • engineering project award
  • medals from scioly
  • 3rd place at a regional neuro competition

great essays so far (still polishing them up tho), letters of req will probably be 8-9/10 (bio teacher) & 6-7/10 (history teacher)

1 Like

S23 plans to apply to CWRU. We were looking at the CDS to try to figure out what SAT score would be worth submitting (he will be retaking on 10/1, previous score was 680 EBRW / 780 M). It looks like a relatively large number of attending students applied test optional? Any insight would be helpful.

Screenshot below is from https://case.edu/ir/sites/case.edu.ir/files/2022-05/CDS_2021-2022_CWRU.pdf

I think all the test optional for the last couple of years was because of COVID. But it appears that CWRU is continuing the test optional policy through 2024 as a trial. One wonders if the reported scores will skew higher as mostly those with high scores will report.

1 Like

D23 applied EA to Case for Computer Science with hope of secondary major or minor in music (submitting music supplement.) GPA 97.2 UW / 102.7 W, SAT 1510 (780 V , 730 M) - submitted. 8 AP so far, 12 by graduation, ECs in both CS and music.

We went to an open house last spring and D really liked it - loved the neighborhood near all the cultural buildings and the lovely little park nearby. She also really liked how they’ve tailored their music program to work well even for students who have intensive STEM majors. Unfortunately tours of the ThinkBox were booked up even before we got there, but that is also an attraction. She’s got a virtual interview scheduled for next week, as they clearly value a lot of demonstrated interest. I have warned her that this school is a toss-up because their admissions are so unpredictable, but I know she’d really like them to come through in EA. :crossed_fingers:

@thermom Keep in there are some music scholarships for students like your daughter:

Arts Achievement Awards

A small number of scholarships of $10,000 per year are available to students who exhibit excellence in either music or studio art, regardless of whether they will major in those areas. All students who audition for the BA in Music or the BS in Music Education will be considered for these highly competitive scholarships. Students who do not intend to major in music can also be considered for an Arts Achievement Award by submitting the Music Arts Supplement.

3 Likes

Hi there. D23 applied EA to Case for Biology/Nursing.
4.0/4.4
ACT 34
Class Rank: school doesn’t rank
5 APs (rest of classes in Junior/Senior year were CHS)
ECs – captain varsity XC and track-state recognition, varsity soccer, soccer coach for urban youth league, NHS, meal prep for city mentoring program, dental shadowing, part time job working 15-18 hours/week, more leadership roles in school activities, lots of volunteer hours
I do think her CC essay was good, it went through a couple of different teachers for edits, but who knows.
She received a letter from the Dean yesterday saying that she was identified as ‘an especially promising candidate,’
I believe she received this because of athletics. Has anyone seen this before?

1 Like

I have not heard of that (from reading on CC)…what AP sciences has she taken?
Sounds promising!

2 Likes

Bio and Chem. She doesn’t have room in her schedule for the physics classes because of Honors OChem, Anatomy, that don’t have AP exams.

Bio & Chem APs is what I would want to see for a Biology/Nursing major. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Early action results released for 2023?

No, they haven’t been. She did not receive a confirmation of acceptance at all. She submitted an athletic recruiting profile with them which is probably where this came from.

2 Likes

I believe EA is around 12/20. Crossing fingers.

5 Likes

ED1 results were released today. My son applied EA so he is still waiting but his friend (with high stats according to my son) was deferred.

ED decision was out today around noon time. My DS23 was accepted with a nice scholarship. I would say that ED does not affect the chance of getting merit aid from our experience.

SAT 1530
GPA 3.85 unweighted
9 APs in total: 2 in Junior year, 5 in senior, and 2 self-study
Our HS does not rank. No honors were offered
Intended major: Chemical engineering/ Material sciences

ECs: 3-year science research with an award in junior year. 4-year varsity runner at XC and track. Many hours of volunteering and community service. Student government and History bowl, etc.

Good luck to everyone!!

14 Likes

Congrats, @sherik, on an incredible achievement! :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Is it true that well qualified student will be v deferred as they want to protect their yield?

Yes for EA. An over-qualified applicant may get deferred. But No for ED. ED is the best way to demonstrate an interest if the school is your top choice.

1 Like

Not for ED that is demonstrated interest and it means you are planning to come. EA theoretically the school may try to gage if you are really wanting to come and defer to either ED2 or RD your choice. CWRU gives nice merit at all acceptance times. Last year my daughter was deferred EA just before the school closed for break so right in the 22nd. We caught a morning plane on the 23rd and toured the school. She fell in love with it. Switched to ED2. Filled in the supplementary essay which is not even offered for EA and was accepted. ED2 is interesting. They do not release all in one day like the others. It’s more any time after two weeks of completion of what they need you hear. So her acceptance update was a complete surprise. She was making sure everything was in the portal correctly and it said update. The email telling her to check came hours later.

4 Likes

Congrats! My daughter is a first year and absolutely loves the school.

2 Likes