**Intended Major: Engineering with Possible Aersospace

**GPA, : 97

• Unweighted HS GPA: HS does not weigh

• ACT/SAT Scores:SAT 800 math 720 Reading

Coursework
*(AP classes by the time of graduation: 11-12 all above 93 avg…tests mostly 4s

Awards

Extracurriculars
*Basketball, Tennis, Honor Society , Class Office, Math League, School programs to help younger students, tutoring

Cost Constraints / Budget
In a good spot with $$$ left in trust from Grandparents

Schools

• Safety (certain admission and affordability): RPI, UBuffalo, Syracuse,
    UofRochester, RIT, WPI,

• Reach: Northwestern, Duke, Northeastern, Dartmouth, Michigan, Notre Dame

I think you have it right but maybe Rochester to match.

He may get into a reach.

But make sure he can and will be happy with one of the remaining safeties.

Ps I would study more about Dartmouth and UND engineering. What are the reason for these two schools ( in relation to engineering)?

If he likes Michigan, maybe add Purdue as an easier to get into (not easy) top flight school.

Pps - with those stats and while you have a great trust, just no he can also go to very fine schools for an inexpensive cost. In engineering, the name matters far less overall.

Best of luck.

Dartmouth is a family connection and Notre Dame because they have Aersospace.

OK - I personally don’t think UND is “special” in regards to engineering.

Dartmouth - for ABET engineering - it’s 9 extra classes - so that means it’s not a four year degree unless i’m missing something - and it’s not even specialized.

Why I asked about these two…

Dartmouth Engineering | BE

1 Like

For Aerospace Engineering, I would also recommend looking at Purdue as well as UIUC, UC-Boulder and UT-Austin. And Cornell seems like an obvious reach school option for a New Yorker. Seemingly a much better choice for Engineering than Dartmouth.

1 Like

Syracuse is NOT a safety unless you are willing to put in a lot of time showing them demonstrated interest and making them think they are not your safety. Many high stats kids rejected there. My 4.0 36 ACT, excellent LOR’s, high level main EC, top 10 high school BS that sends approx. 25% of class to Ivy’s and top 10’s was waitlisted there but accepted to two with 10-12% acceptance rates and 2 others with full tuition merit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.