Psychology

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0
  • Weighted HS GPA 4.7 UC 4.36:
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank: Top 10%
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 31 ACT 35 English 30 Math 32 Reading 27 science

Coursework
*9 AP/IB’s Computer Science, APush, Biology, Environmental Science, AP Lang, IB Lit, IB Dance, AP Gov, AP Stats
7 honors 4 years foreign language

Highest math honors pre-calc
Awards
AP scholar with honors, Superintendents Honor Roll each semester
Extracurriculars
worked 20 hours per week for 2 years, 2 years competitive dance, several clubs and volunteer areas but no real leadership

Essays/LORs/Other

• Strong essay related to major

Cost Constraints / Budget
no budget constraints

Schools
Reach:
USC
UCLA
Boston College
NYU
Barnard
Boston University
Tufts
Northeastern

Match
UCSB ? maybe reach
SDSU
Cal Poly Slo

Safety
Chapman
USD

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback!

Think your list is about right - assuming you are not ED to the Boston schools. I could see BC as an in. But your matches and safeties look right. It’s reach heavy but that’s ok. The major will help.

Your biggest concern is going to be the ACT - do you or don’t you report it. The UCs make that easy - they don’t look. But at the others, with a 31, it’s likely something you shouldn’t report (or your daughter should decide - mine reported to 20/21 schools because she was proud of it) - but the 31 would likely put you in the not accepted at all those reach schools.

While you have no budget issues, if cost an issue (i.e I know you can afford a pricey school - but do you want to if you don’t have to), with the 4.0 you’d go for near free at Arizona (which has a great Honors college with the dining hall in the bottom of the dorm and a gym adjacent - you’d get $35K off the $38K tuition). It’s a safety. Alabama another dirt cheap one for you.

Good luck.

Thank you! That darn ACT, I’m sure she won’t be reporting it. Arizona is good advice, she had mentioned she was going to add to her list.

Btw Barnard looks like she might send in as the 31 is at the bottom of their range…but they accepted 57% of their class in ED. And their acceptance rate was 11% so RD will be small. Unless it’s living in the city that is appealing, you may look at Bryan Mawr as a more realistic sub. Or Wellesley continuing your Boston theme although it’s also a tough admit.

https://barnard.edu/class-2025-profile

Maybe too late, but if she could take the SAT, it doesn’t have a science section, which was her weakest ACT subscore - she might do really well…

1 Like

Where is she in the process? Assuming no ED since you didn’t mention it, but what about EA? Are you really looking to add new schools - looks like the essay work here will be significant.

GPA obviously strong. Surprised that her class rank is not higher with that GPA. Is it an exceptionally strong high school? Is the UC GPA capped/weighted? What is her UC GPA weighted/ not capped?

The issue will be demonstrating fit and standing out. Why does she feel she’s a fit for both BC and Tufts, for example. Did she visit campuses - will she have a good case for the “why this college” essays?

Based on her list, you have gauged her chances realistically for the UC’s and USC. I cannot comment on the rest of the schools but overall she looks competitive. As long as she is happy attending her safety and match schools, anything else is icing on the cake.

Best of luck to her.

1 Like

@Gumbymom, can you break down why SDSU would not be a safety and UCSB might be a reach? I know UCSB has historically weighted ECs pretty significantly but there was a shift in their wording about that — was it last year?

Very interested in this thread - my D22 is applying to many of these schools.

1 Like

A BC admissions officer told the college advisors at my D22’s school that no one should submit an ACT score that isn’t a 33 or higher.

3 Likes

This jives with their stats. Admitted 25th percentile is 33.

Why I said above, while it’s always personal…for example my daughter was proud of her 32 and wanted to share it….objectively the OP’s daughter should not for the reaches.

Other stats - 51% of enrollees had a test submitted. The ED rate was 39% vs 17% RD.

49% of the class enrolled through ED.

My personal belief is of the schools listed by OP as a reach and BC is but may be the best shot of those reach schools…and yes sans test score.

Good luck to OPs student.

1 Like

SDSU is an impacted campus, admits by major and Psychology is one of the most applied/popular majors. With a 4917 applicants for Psych and 1833 admitted, this results in a 37% acceptance rate. OP’s GPA is above the overall admitted GPA for SDSU and is highly competitive but I would only call it a safety if OP is within the local admission area for SDSU. Definitely a Target/Match school.

For UCSB, based on OP’s profile I believe would be probably closer to a Match than a Reach. Although 2020 admit data shows with a UC capped GPA of 4.2 or higher, there is a very high chance for admission (this is overall in-state, OOS and International) for CA applicants last year the overall admission rate for UCSB is 28%. You have to balance a low admission rate in a highly competitive CA pool with the competitive GPA so I would lean towards a Match/Target school.
2021 data that I have linked shows an average 4.24 UC GPA for admitted applicants.

https://bap.ucsb.edu/institutional-research/new-student-profiles/new-freshmen-profile

UCSB does not admit by Major to the College of Letters and Sciences. If OP was applying for Engineering, then it could be more in the Reach category.

I have been surprised by many admission decisions in the last few years so you never know but I believe UCSB is not a Reach. Again, I am not an AO and do not have access to the student’s application so chancing many times can be futile.

3 Likes

I know of a NE boarding school college counselor who has given the same advice to his students applying ED to BC.

1 Like

@Gumbymom you are awesome!

Agree on all points.

1 Like

I tried to talk her into trying the SAT but I think she was just too stressed and burned out with college apps to try and squeeze it in.

1 Like

Her school only ranks by decile. No ED, she applied EA to Northeastern and Chapman. She definitely got a late start on the process. I believe her capped UC GPA was 4.36, Cal State 4.4.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you!

Calculate both weighted A-G and capped weighted A- G for UC. I would have her submit CSU application soon. In prior years I’ve seen some high stats kids get accepted in December there. Based upon experience in our house it is a real relief and motivation to get an acceptance.

If she is starting late make sure to get an essay spreadsheet going to track and plot schedule. Burnout is a thing.

2 Likes

The good news is you have schools on the list she’s definitely getting into. And you said she’s adding Arizona which is an easy app and slam dunk, as is the Honors College and $3k or so tuition. Another slam dunk.

So I think you are good as is. Sure the SAT would be awesome but all these privates on your list have hefty TO applicant quantities.

If worst case is USD, Chapman, or AZ and she’d be happy…then you’re in wonderful shape.

1 Like

Capped weighted UC GPA = CSU capped weighted GPA unless CC/DE classes are taken. Either way, still competitive.

SDSU offers High stat applicants early admission decisions in December with an invite to the Honors college so definitely aim for UC and CSU application submission by Thanksgiving. Do not wait till the last minute since server’s have crashed due to high volumes near the submission deadline.

1 Like