Colby's Increasing "Draw"

Colby’s rise in draw (yield%/accept%) since ~2015 has been dramatic. By selecting Colby in the site below, a graph will appear. Colby’s direction becomes most apparent when compared to that of other colleges.

Yes, your yield rate is still falling, v 2019

1 Like

I’ve noticed this too. Remarkable.

Is this article indicating Colby?

The article proposes that many colleges, although able to raise their applications totals, have been unable to reach their desired goals overall. By accessing the data, however, you will see that Colby represents an especially notable exception to this.

Which other colleges? Bates, Bowdoin, and Haverford seem to have similar upward trends in draw, whatever that is supposed to indicate.

1 Like

I checked Duke, Northwestern University, Colorado College, Davidson College, Williams College, Bowdoin, and then Kenyon College. Only Kenyon College had a clearly negative chart.

Note that Kenyon’s draw, unlike those of the majority of colleges, trends upward overall across the duration of the graph (2001–2019), with notable peaks in 2007 and 2015.

This is fascinating (to a numbers geeks like me). It looks like a lot of selective northeast LACs, like Colby, look strong relative to the national trends. Most NESCAC schools are up, for example (with a few more or less flat). In contrast, some of the popular schools in the Northeast that have become increasingly selective, have seen their yields drop despite growing the numbers of applicants by a huge number. A good example of this is Northeastern whose admit % has dropped from 70% to 26.7% - at the same time its yield has dropped from 33.3% to 26.7%. I’d love to know what is behind these trends.

2 Likes

I will agree that Kenyon College peaked in 2007 and then rose again peaking in 2015, but “upward overall” is stretching it a bit.

No chart for Alabama’s main campus.

Thought Univ. of Florida’s chart would look different.

You can create a smoothing function for Kenyon’s data, which will produce an upward trend when applied to the full span of time in the original source.

You viewed the cover graph, which shows information for “all” colleges, right? Note the general trend in relation to the direction apparent in Colby’s graph.