Colleges in the 2021-2022 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 2)

Evangelicals of all races make up about 25% of the US population. Using a recent estimate of vaccine hesitancy for “white” Evangelicals, and making the sweeping assumption that the same would apply to Evangelicals of all races uniformly (which it does not), that translates into no more than 6% of the country. Should we really be hyper-focused on that one particular 6%, when at least that percentage are people of color who are also vaccine-hesitant? Seems to me that all these groups need outreach and education. But even supposing one dismisses those stubborn vaccine-hesitant Evangelicals as “hopeless” - it’s still only 6% of the country.

Pretty much all Christian churches in my community - Evangelical or otherwise - are involved in relief efforts abroad and understand what constitutes real hardship. Of course, a lot of those efforts were also stymied in 2020 due to our governor’s executive order. I’m sure the same happened throughout the US. Unfortunately, the poor both abroad and here in the US suffered terribly as a result of Stay-at-Home and other orders that prevented missionaries and volunteers from reaching them.

2 Likes