Colleges/unis with large and lively trans communities?

Can anyone recommend or does anyone know of colleges and universities with a large, engaged trans community?

2 Likes

No clue but maybe a starting point. I’m sure you can do other searches plus specific research on each school of interest.

1 Like

I would look for colleges that have support and clubs and activities for your interests. University of Michigan is a good example. They have many clubs etc with even staff participation. On a campus like you it’s you do you…

1 Like

I was looking for a college for my son with a large trans community, but couldn’t find it as numbers aren’t published. In the end he chose a small college with an active LGBTQ community that will combine activities with other local colleges. The school is very kind and supportive. You need to find a school with an inclusive policy, gender neutral housing and gender neutral bathrooms. Even when if the college says it has appropriate housing, do a google search as newspaper articles can report if it is working or not.

3 Likes

@mer1, which schools did you ultimately look at? The housing piece is certainly an important policy for entry to college. Health care too.

About 0.66% of Americans age 18-24 identify as transgender. So “large” has to be considered in that context. For example, 0.66% of a 50,000 student university is 330.

Regarding quality of life issues, also consider whether the surrounding community is generally trans-friendly or not, and whether the state government is enacting trans-friendly or trans-hostile laws. Transwomen athletes also need pay attention to the fact that they are a favorite wedge-issue scapegoat for anti-trans activists and politicians.

5 Likes

Look at Macalester in St. Paul.

1 Like

I have no personal experience, but here are some additional articles.

This article (How to tell if your college is trans-inclusive) contains tips on what to look for, and includes a link to the 271 colleges that have gender-inclusive housing. There’s another link to a list of colleges that allow students to use a “chosen” name and also to specify their pronouns. There’s a link to colleges whose student health insurance plans include hormones and gender-affirming surgery.

Then there’s this list of trans-supportive colleges (which does not appear to be the same list of trans-friendly ones from above).

And then there is this list of 50 LGBTQ friendly schools (so not trans specifically, but I would certainly give these a close look).

And on the other end of the spectrum, your child may want to avoid these:

Best of luck with this college search!

2 Likes

thanks!! very kind of you to share

1 Like

New College in Sarasota. When we toured there the guide was very proud of the new Trans Health Center they just opened. It was probably the most liberal/accepting college I’ve been to.

2 Likes